Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2007, 22:08   #46
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Do you mean heal&toe --- operating brake pedal with heal, and accelerator with toe?
Its the exact opposite.
Old 25th September 2007, 22:13   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Its the exact opposite.
Operate pedals with hand and steering wheel with toe?
Old 26th September 2007, 00:24   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
what will you do if you have to drive an old amby with no handbrakes and whose engine stops unless you give some constant throttle to it
Well tuned ambys will not stall on no-throttle situations. However if you have such an amby, just slant your right foot sideways!

However a very effective method, employs a brick, to be attached to the rear of the front wheel (so that when the car moves forward you can pick up the brick from underneath the open drivers door). The brick can also come in handy at various other situations.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2007, 00:35   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Well tuned ambys will not stall on no-throttle situations. However if you have such an amby, just slant your right foot sideways!
i learnt this technique the hard way as one of my friends amby was not at all tuned but we had very good access to it. So learnt a lot of driving in it
Old 26th September 2007, 00:42   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i learnt this technique the hard way as one of my friends amby was not at all tuned but we had very good access to it. So learnt a lot of driving in it
Yes, but it was a really well put forward point. I had the services of a MM540 at Musoorie-Simla once and this car would not stay on no-throttle on cold morning. The driver had given me a quaint look on first attempt, thinking he has caught a fool! Later I did not let him a single moment of glory. But the charms of driving such vehicles are really lost on the New-to-car-ownership individuals we encounter these days.
Old 26th September 2007, 00:49   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
But the charms of driving such vehicles are really lost on the New-to-car-ownership individuals we encounter these days.
cannot agree more. in those days after driving an amby or fiat it appeared as if a lot of good work had been done . that charm is gone with todays easy to drive cars.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2007, 01:00   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
cannot agree more. in those days after driving an amby or fiat it appeared as if a lot of good work had been done . that charm is gone with todays easy to drive cars.
Offcourse, with every start one used to look around for admirers of the act (thank you, thank you). With every Dud, people used to laugh at you. However the good thing about today's cars are that they appeal to a certain section which wouldn't care two hoots about the aforementioned performances/acts. Had subjected a guinea P.I.G to verify this with the MM540 and it obliged by proving my point right.

Last edited by 1100D : 26th September 2007 at 01:02.
Old 26th September 2007, 13:37   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Quote:
Do you mean heal&toe --- operating brake pedal with heal, and accelerator with toe?
Its the exact opposite.
Blush! Of course... the accelerator pedal comes lower than the brake.

My mother was keen on this technique --- you can tell that I don't use it.

'Blush' again...
Old 26th September 2007, 21:59   #54
BHPian

Hi Guys!!!!

Had a strange experience with my octy today.... On my Way to office I have to negotiate the steep uphill roads at Powai and in my Baleno I always used to keep half clutch pressed and manage the car from going back instead of brakes and used to do the same with my octy also.. It was ok all these days but today there was excessive traffic and vehicles were moving by inches only. Initailly the car started moving when I slightly released the clutch. It seemed quite unusual since the car used to move only when I released 3/4 of the clutch. Later on as I moved forward the car was in 1 feet of water for maybe 5 mins and i could actually smell the burning of the clutch and car refused to move till I totally released the clutch.. Something really scary since I have been frequently warned about the super sensitive octy clutches.... Later on it worked fine till i reached office... In the evening when I started the car in my office maybe after 10 hrs... clutch was functioning as good as new... I hardly could sense any thing wrong... Could any octy owners throw some light on this... Is this behaviour normal... I have never replaced the clutch in any of my previous car in my total 17 years of driving xperience and this car is just 18 months old and has clocked 25000km...
Old 27th September 2007, 10:16   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Operate pedals with hand and steering wheel with toe?
Shouldn't that read "Operate pedals with hands and steering wheel with heel&toe"? !!!
Old 27th September 2007, 13:22   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Just put a brick on the clutch pedal, so it is permanently slipping...

Old 27th September 2007, 13:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Just put a brick on the clutch pedal, so it is permanently slipping...

As in 'Thick As A Brick' or in 'Another Brick In The Wall'??
Old 27th September 2007, 14:24   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, either, really. Thick as Brick says it straight out, with Another Brick in the Wall (Floyd Version) we have to move on to the line We don't need no education!

With a , of course. Just joking.
Old 27th September 2007, 14:36   #59
BHPian

[quote=gd1418;574749]Sorry for being off-topic. But this is intriguing. Cutdcrap: What are the two items from Samsung? Never knew that Samsung were into automobiles as well.

I for one always associated Bordeaux with some fine French wine.

Hope this helps:
"[COLOR=#0000ff]Samsung[/COLOR]'s entry into the automobile industry was also ill-fated. Established in 1994, Samsung Motors started selling cars in 1998, just when South Korea was hit by the Asian financial crisis. Faced with financial difficulties, Samsung sold a seventy percent stake in the company to [COLOR=#0000ff]Renault[/COLOR] in September 2000, and the company was renamed [COLOR=#0000ff]Renault Samsung Motors[/COLOR]." - Source Korean automobile industry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, Bordeaux is my LCD TV, and the Duo is the new Dual Sim Touch Screen mobile phone.

You made an @** of me, dude
Old 27th September 2007, 14:49   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Shouldn't that read "Operate pedals with hands and steering wheel with heel&toe"? !!!
Yeah ! You should try it. Though it takes a while to learn

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks