Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2009, 14:33   #46
Senior - BHPian

Actually rear passengers have the liberty to move around a bit, but it gets more painful for driver.

I did some setting of Seat height, back angle and steering angle today, and found it very much drivable. will test it out in next long drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2223 View Post
the rear passangers face problem in sitting as leg space is enough but sitting position is not comfortable.
Old 27th January 2009, 12:12   #47
Senior - BHPian

I would say a lot depends on your personal preference and also your car suspension and seat. Try a comfortable position and evaluate / readjust (if required) frequently till you get a comfortable position.

I personally prefer low seating position with slightly reclining back rest, not too far from the steering.
In my Civic, I keep my seat to the lowest hight and some what forward (so that there is 1.5 inches horizontal gap between my nees and the lower part of the dash). Both hands comfortably rest on the handrests. In my case my knees are higher than my hip point, which I find fine because my foot is not flat on the floor but rests on heels (as it would for everyone while driving a car). For the same reason, I am not sure if hip - knee level statement is applicable in driving scenario!

I recently did a 1400km drive and 600km drive this weekend over both good and bad roads, without a sign of pain in my back.
(Not that I have a very strong back, I do suffer from back pain once in a while, but that is mostly due to office chairs).
Old 27th January 2009, 21:14   #48
Senior - BHPian

ST, don't you have visibility problems with the seat set at the lowest position?

Since my Civic is my first car, I was paranoid about bumping into stuff and got settled into a position that's one step from highest. And I'm a fairly tall person (6'3"). I just can't find the guts to lower myself more into the bay, even though I'm certain it'll improve the driving experience.

Thoughts?
Old 27th January 2009, 21:25   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Here is my take:
Comfort on long highway drive invloves two aspects:
  1. Comfortable and relaxed seating position. Reclined back, slightly riased kneepoint relative to the hip-point with leg slightly streched ahead, like in a sofa or a lazy chair is more relaxing then a upright positon as in a dinning chair.
  2. Positon which gives a good vissibility ahead, not necessarily a positon where you need to see the tip of your bonnet (good fo city driving). Position where your hands find a relaxed position to hold and control the steering, operate gear stick without strain.
beg to differ

on long drives, having position 1 mentioned above will lead to very less blood circulation to the lower limbs and this is not good for the feet which handles the various pedals. also there is a built up pressure on the hips because the thighs are pushing their weight down on the hips. i say this with experience bcos the position 1 is EXACTLY what my OHC gives and its definetly not a comfortable Highway position
which is why the OHC driving position is SO GOOD for the CITY. gives a sporty feel ..

I found the FIESTA's driving position quite good - not too low - not too high and not much stress on the legs even on long drives
Old 27th January 2009, 21:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

I Drive at lowest and farthest position on my vRs.
With the steering wheel well inside and upright.
Gives me a comfortable + Grippy feeling.
A Balance. When i can take less comfort and look at better control of cars ( like at high speeds ) then i rise the seat a bit. ( not much)
Old 27th January 2009, 22:55   #51
BHPian

The lowest seating car that I noticed recently was the Chevy Optra Magnum. Although low, but the seating position is very comfortable.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 27th January 2009, 23:04   #52
BHPian

i personally prefer low seating position because i my height is 6'6 and i cannot see the signals if i sit high, so prefer to sit low in sedans and middle in SUV's.

but when you sit low it will be a pain to get out if you are tall like me because you need to watch or else you will hit the roof often like me. but i cannot find a good seating postion in cars sold in india. i either am too far or too near to the steering wheel.

one more question is it bad if your knees hit the dashboard, because i am trying out different cars to buy my first car and i set my mind on civic sedan or coupe and i keep hitting my knee to the dashboard. is it good ? or bad ?
Old 28th January 2009, 01:47   #53
Senior - BHPian

I prefer the low seating position over the high seating position because it makes the car feel more stable and gives the driver more confidence. Also, during long drives, there is lesser chance of a body roll/jolt as opposed to how it would be in an SUV.

I own an Esteem and I am very happy with the low seating position thought I admit it is'nt very easy for a six footer like me to get in and get out.
Old 28th January 2009, 08:36   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram7912 View Post
one more question is it bad if your knees hit the dashboard, because i am trying out different cars to buy my first car and i set my mind on civic sedan or coupe and i keep hitting my knee to the dashboard. is it good ? or bad ?
The Civic has a dashboard that extends a bit into the cabin. If your knees hit when you are inside and in your driving position, it is a bad thing. You'll hate long drives.

That said, for your height, you'll have trouble finding any sedan which will give you a comfortable position except maybe a Bentley Continental GT
Old 31st January 2009, 15:01   #55
Senior - BHPian

I like sitting higher.

I like sitting higher in relation to the road surface, this gives me better all round vision so I can see and anticipate problems better. For me, the best position is where my head is exactly in the centre of the space between the steering wheel and top of the windshield. I like my arms to be a little flexed while at the same time not too drawn towards the chest. I am not particular about whether my legs are a little bent or stretched straight out. I keep varying the seat position on long drives, I find that this helps fight fatigue.

The knees touching the dashboard is not only uncomfortable but is potentially dangerous.

Cheers,
Old 31st January 2009, 18:19   #56
BHPian

Would the seating on Accent be considered low seating?
Old 31st January 2009, 19:49   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I like sitting higher in relation to the road surface, this gives me better all round vision so I can see and anticipate problems better. For me, the best position is where my head is exactly in the centre of the space between the steering wheel and top of the windshield. I like my arms to be a little flexed while at the same time not too drawn towards the chest. I am not particular about whether my legs are a little bent or stretched straight out. I keep varying the seat position on long drives, I find that this helps fight fatigue.

The knees touching the dashboard is not only uncomfortable but is potentially dangerous.

Cheers,
While in general, the high seating position results in a better overall vissibility, this need not be the case always. I remember the problem matiz had with it's upright positon yet high set dashboard affecting the vissibility. On the other hand a low slung car like Zen had a very good vissibility.
Many modern cars are designed outside-in, which means the external styling influences the interior design and many new cars have a very high set dashbaords.
Old 1st February 2009, 11:59   #58
BHPian

I would say low seating gives better confidence while driving fast. I never crossed 100 or 110 km/h in my father's Ikon which then had extra cushion in drivers seat. The same Ikon after removing that extra cushion i started doing 120+. I couldn't find any other reason other than the change in driving position.
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:23   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortalz
ST, don't you have visibility problems with the seat set at the lowest position?

Since my Civic is my first car, I was paranoid about bumping into stuff and got settled into a position that's one step from highest. And I'm a fairly tall person (6'3"). I just can't find the guts to lower myself more into the bay, even though I'm certain it'll improve the driving experience.

Thoughts?
I do not try to see the bonnet of the car, that would lead you into an uncomfortable position. Lower your seat try minor adjustments and try to live with it for 1 week. Once you get used to it, you would definitely find it more comfortable and enjoyable.

Regarding bumping into some stuff, try parking your car slowly (or with some one's help) in front of a wall, as close as 1 inch. This will give you an estimate of how much your hood extends forward, make yourself familiar with the distance.

This is the minimum, anyway you should keep some safe distance from other vehicles, not that difficult once you get used to it.
Old 2nd February 2009, 18:35   #60
Senior - BHPian

OK, I was thinking that my back pain problem has something to do with the high seating of SX4, but it turned out to be altogether different story.

In last trip from Gurgaon to Chandigarh, the back pain got so severe after reaching chandigarh. I had to visit hospital and got the pain killer injection.

Doctor doubted kidney stone so I got the ultrasound done there only and discovered that there is a stone 4X3mm which moved from kidney to lower ureter, that caused the pain. Frequent long drives could have caused the dislocation and movement.

BTW : I drove with the lowest sitting position this time

Last edited by rkbharat : 2nd February 2009 at 18:38.

Most Viewed