Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2007, 13:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunk View Post
which cars in india offer a high seating position...if you avoid SUVs?
How abt Ford Fusion ?
Old 21st September 2007, 16:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

I guess it is a personal choice. I felt more comfy after a long drive on my Fiesta (low seating) than on my WagonR (high seating). A WagonR is easy to get into and out of, but it's seats lack under-thigh support. They are like dining chairs--something that serves the purpose,but only for a limited time. If we gotta relax, then we'll head for the sofa, which is lower than a dining chair.
However, for city driving, I find the high seating of a WagonR better than my Fiesta, especially for the view it offers on congested roads.
Old 21st September 2007, 16:04   #33
BHPian

if u say major people preffer high seating , but if u see all major car's have low seating in higher end ,i mean 7lakhs and above only sx4 can be said as high seating
Old 21st September 2007, 18:13   #34
BHPian

High seating.....Getz
Low seating.....Esteem
I've driven both these cars extensively on highways & I prefer the Getz to the Esteem's seating for long untiring drives.
Old 21st September 2007, 19:29   #35
BHPian

any of you have experience with fusion?My guess is that it should give an untiring drive , both for the passenger and the driver.
Old 21st September 2007, 21:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
High seating.....Getz
Low seating.....Esteem
I've driven both these cars extensively on highways & I prefer the Getz to the Esteem's seating for long untiring drives.
I would mirror exactly the opposite. Not just because I own an Esteem. I have found it difficult to get in and get out of my car, given the fact that am a six footer. But once am at the wheel and especially on long drives, I feel more relaxed and secure with the low seated profile and have not experienced any fatigue. On the contrary, while driving an SUV for long on highways, am prone to tiredness and fatigue. Maybe, as someone said earlier in this post, "it is a personal choice".
Old 21st September 2007, 21:44   #37
BHPian

wat i personally have felt is that in high seating cars the passengers tend to swing sideways more when the cars maneuver a turn than in a low seating cars.Maybe due to the high Centre of gravity.

I prefer the medium low seating of my baleno more for the highway fast drives.but its little tough for city drives.
Old 21st September 2007, 22:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

Let us compare low seater like Honda Civic with high seater like Wagon R. High seater is definitely more comfortable for getting in and out of the car. But once seated, other comforts vanish. One, higher seating means body rolls are felt more. Two, high seater cars usually have higher CG--- so body rolls are more pronounced. Three, your leg make almost 90 degrees at knee so after a long drive you will have knee pains and there will be no space to stretch your legs. if you stretch your legs they will hit the footwell.

Now low seaters. Yes, they are difficult to get in and get out but once seated in they offer much more comfort. One, You sit low so body rolls are felt minimal. Two, low seaters are usually tarmac scrapers so CG is pretty low which means even less body rolls. Three, your knee makes almost 180 degrees. Your legs are stretched out and foot controls are deep insdie the foot well so it's easy on legs.

Which is better? High seaters are good for city usage where one tends to embark disembark every 15 - 20 kilometers. Low setares are good for highway usage where once seated you do at least a 100 kms before you stop for a loo break or something.

There is one more deciding factor. Fat cats prefer high seaters because they find it difficult to lower themselves and squeeze in the confines of low seaters. Ever wondered why fatsos prefer SUVs? However, if you are thin and atheletic like Paul Walker, a low seater will reward you on highways like nothing else. it will stay glued to the tarmac and even going out of control would only mean 360 degree turns rather than topple over like high seaters.
Old 21st September 2007, 22:36   #39
BHPian

Long drive or Short drive, I prefer low seating car ( Esteem, M800) over high seating car (Santro). And there is no personal bias here as have owned all of these for quite a long period.

My experience is that Santro seating is rather unergonomic and it is causing me knee pain in Bangalore traffic. It was breeze driving M800 as seat ergonomic was near perfect.

Contrarary to others experience, my mothers loves ride in Esteem and hates boths in Santro and WagonR. Yes, getting in and out is rather inconvenient in low seating car but where do one spend more time, while inside the car or getting in and out car..

I'm for low seating.. eeee.. my knee is paining after driving Santro for an hour on my way back to home from office...

Last edited by nispatel : 21st September 2007 at 22:43.
Old 24th January 2009, 15:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

I have SX4 and have an option of adjusting the seat height. I keep it on the max high position in city without any problem and it gives great visibility. So in some of my recent long drives, I kept the same position, but felt back pain after 2-3 hours of drive. I never felt the same in my Indica and some other cars I drove on long trips.

Should I be lowering the seating position, on long drives to make it more comfortable.

What seat height and Steering angle is more comfortable for long drives?
Old 24th January 2009, 16:48   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
I have SX4 and have an option of adjusting the seat height. I keep it on the max high position in city without any problem and it gives great visibility. So in some of my recent long drives, I kept the same position, but felt back pain after 2-3 hours of drive. I never felt the same in my Indica and some other cars I drove on long trips.

Should I be lowering the seating position, on long drives to make it more comfortable.

What seat height and Steering angle is more comfortable for long drives?
See, on a highway, low seating & tilted (lowered) steering is much better.

Again, it is a matter of personal choice, I make numerous trips to Punjab/ Chandigarh/ Himachal. In my Zen, I do it very comfortably, sometimes to & fro Chandigarh/ Ludhiana in a day. And normally, I do Noida-Pathankot ( 510 km) quite frequently without any discomfort in about 7 -9 hours depending upon stoppages/ traffic/ weather.

Recently, we went in a relative's Aveo, I started feeling uneasy after Panipat. Zen has a low seating & perfect steering angle atleast for me. The only problem is getting in - out for me as I am 6 feet tall.

Again, for a change, for my new buy I am looking for a car like TATA Safari which can provide comfortable/ high seat / driver seat height adjustment/ tilt/ telescopic steering etc. as one can ignore all other features but driving comfort!

Last edited by breezydrive : 24th January 2009 at 16:51.
Old 24th January 2009, 17:33   #42
Senior - BHPian

Here is my take:
Comfort on long highway drive invloves two aspects:
  1. Comfortable and relaxed seating position. Reclined back, slightly riased kneepoint relative to the hip-point with leg slightly streched ahead, like in a sofa or a lazy chair is more relaxing then a upright positon as in a dinning chair.
  2. Positon which gives a good vissibility ahead, not necessarily a positon where you need to see the tip of your bonnet (good fo city driving). Position where your hands find a relaxed position to hold and control the steering, operate gear stick without strain.
Ergonomically, the low position seems to be better. But it is important that there is no croucthing and knees don't touch the steering etc.

I have felt more comfortable in Forester (you sit high up but like in a sedan) against Fusion (more MPVish)
Old 24th January 2009, 19:32   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
seating on the civic is pretty low.
All Honda cars have low seating.
It is the design philosophy of Honda cars.
Old 25th January 2009, 14:08   #44
BANNED

i also find my ohc seating and steering low . it is a bit uncomfortable but at higher speeds i feel confident. the rear passangers face problem in sitting as leg space is enough but sitting position is not comfortable.
Old 25th January 2009, 14:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
All Honda cars have low seating.
It is the design philosophy of Honda cars.
Except NHC perhaps. This is probably becasue it is based on Jazz hatchback

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks