Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2014, 10:44   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Issues with WagonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Guys, I have uploaded the video. kindly see it and advice.
Also notice the squeaking clutch pedal noise. So now I have 2 alien sounds in the car cabin . Kindly advice on the same. The sound in the video might be low so kindly use some earphones.
Thanks.
The Hum sounds more like a bearing noise to me. Try first by replacing the existing flywheel with another one and check if the noise persists.

If not, it is definitely the Input shaft bearing as the noise is changing with depressing of clutch.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 17:47   #47

Hello bhpians,

I have my Wagon R 2002 model brought to this garrage for a creepy noise coming from the front left wheel whenever I applied brakes. He changed the brake liners and bushes (which he mentioned) last week. Still the noise is coming.

Please help.
Old 12th February 2014, 18:21   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Issues with WagonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuturaj View Post
Hello bhpians,

I have my Wagon R 2002 model brought to this garrage for a creepy noise coming from the front left wheel whenever I applied brakes. He changed the brake liners and bushes (which he mentioned) last week. Still the noise is coming.

Please help.
Check the brake discs and the brake pads. Brake pads are likely to be the culprit and if that is the reason indeed, I won't recommend driving on worn out brake pads as it will kill the more expensive brake disc.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 11:35   #49
BHPian

9 years old Wagon R - strange issues

Hi folks,

My dad is facing strange issues with his Wagon R of late.
(I didn't find a similar thread with these issues, hence I created a new thread. Can be merged if I missed seeing one.)

ODO reading - 50.2k kms
Model - Wagon R VXI (2005)
Place of usage - Bokaro Steel City (Jharkhand)

He prominently mentioned 2 issues to me a couple of days back:
1. Hand brake light stays ON on the dashboard,
2. Wobbling of the car.

He took it to MASS, who gave him and me a shock by putting the following diagnosis:
1. Front left suspension has gone bust.
2. Front axle seems to have gone bust.
3. Brake oil/fluid need replacement. (Brake pads still stock since 2005)
4. Silencer/exhaust pipe has a crack in the middle underneath the car.
5. Radiator wash/flush required (has a lot of dirt)
6. Steering wheel would need opening and bearings greased.
7. Alignment + tire rotation.
8. The steel rims are fine, no dents.

Now, MASS has quoted 10k+ for the same.

The car has been through some bad roads in the state during Bokaro-Dhanbad or Bokaro-Chandrapura runs.
SVC mech says he'll weld the exhaust pipe. I don't know if that's a good idea.

Now, my doubt is if the rims are fine, how can the axle or suspension get damaged? Can't it be just bearings? I feel bad now because I'm in Bangalore and the car is back home. Need your inputs here.

Also, is MASS overcharging him? I feel so. Can someone provide genuine break up of components above?
Old 4th May 2014, 13:33   #50
Senior - BHPian

Re: 9 years old Wagon R - strange issues

No clue about the axle, but the suspension and everything else seem like regular stuff for a decade old Wagon R (We still have a 2004 Wagon R in the family; the car I learned how to drive in). Though such problems cropped up in our car only post the 1lakh km mark (now stands at 1.3), if you say there are bad roads, which there does seem to be since the silencer has a crack, then this stuff could happen post the 50k ks mark too I suppose. In the end, I don't think there is much to worry about.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 17:17   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
Hi folks,

ODO reading - 50.2k kms
Model - Wagon R VXI (2005)
Place of usage - Bokaro Steel City (Jharkhand)

2. Wobbling of the car.
Hand brake light - Could be an issue brake pedal plunger switch.
Wobbling of the car - could be an issue with incorrect balancing and alignment.

Your father does not seem to mention any other symptoms corroborating maruti a.s.s.'s diagnosis.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 18:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

Handbrake light indicates low brake fluid. If brake fluid levels are ok, only then it could be something else.
For replacement items such as brake oil, you need to see when it was last replaced and what is the replacement interval specified in the owner's manual.
Same applies to radiator flush.

For the axle and suspension, you can get the same inspected by another MASS or an independent but good mechanic.
Steering wheel joint greasing looks like routine.
Exhaust pipe middle or end portion could be procured outside if you can get hold of a local supplier.
At the outset I would say if indeed the diagnosis is correct the bill may be around 15-20 k.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 20:37   #53
BANNED

Quote:

2. Wobbling of the car.
1) For the handbrake thing, check the switch/actuator for the handbrake. That could be out and needs replacement.

2) Get the wheel alignment, Wheel balancing and wheel rotation done first. DO NOT get the above replacements done right away.

For the rest like fluids etc get the changed otherwise also depending when it was changed last.

Silencer cracked, get a second opinion at another MASS or FNG and then decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Handbrake light indicates low brake fluid. If brake fluid levels are ok, only then it could be something else.
Are you sure buddy? I am little surprised as to why will the handbrake warning lamp be connected with the fluid level?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 22:33   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Are you sure buddy? I am little surprised as to why will the handbrake warning lamp be connected with the fluid level?

Anurag.
I am quite sure. In fact you can check the owner manual to confirm the same. If the handbrake light on the dashboard goes on the first thing to check is the brake fluid level.

I think that's standard procedure. Surprised you aren't aware of it.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 22:46   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. Wobbling of the car.

He took it to MASS, who gave him and me a shock by putting the following diagnosis:
1. Front left suspension has gone bust.
2. Front axle seems to have gone bust.
3. Brake oil/fluid need replacement. (Brake pads still stock since 2005)
4. Silencer/exhaust pipe has a crack in the middle underneath the car.
5. Radiator wash/flush required (has a lot of dirt)
6. Steering wheel would need opening and bearings greased.
7. Alignment + tire rotation.
8. The steel rims are fine, no dents.
Parking brake light on - brake fluid is low
Wobbling - Balancing required. If one of more tire is damaged, it will have to be replaced.

In addition, MASS is suggesting a suspension overhaul
For this, take your car to any good alignment shop and ask them to inspect things. They will tell you what exactly is wrong with the suspension and what needs to be replaced.

Radiator flushing is a good idea if it has not been done before. Costs about 500 bucks in the market. Replace the coolant too while you are at it.

Silencer crack: is the car sounding louder than normal? If not, don't worry. Ask the alignment guys to have a look, just to be double sure.

Front axle: is the car making kat-kat-kat sound on full turn? If not, no issues.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 23:18   #56
BANNED

Quote:

I am quite sure. In fact you can check the owner manual to confirm the same. If the handbrake light on the dashboard goes on the first thing to check is the brake fluid level.

I think that's standard procedure. Surprised you aren't aware of it.
Thank you for enlightening me. Need to get into basics again. Thanks.

Anurag.
Old 5th May 2014, 06:40   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the handbrake light on the dashboard goes on the first thing to check is the brake fluid level.
If the brake fluid level is okay, then I think the next step is to check the plunger switch.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 09:02   #58
BHPian

Thanks all for the prompt replies!

Dad has decided to get a second opinion from an independant garage before committing to MASS's diagnosis. I have mailed him the URL to this thread as well and he shall take all your advices into consideration.
Old 5th May 2014, 09:50   #59
BHPian

Moderator note: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid Copy Paste from external font editors, also do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

@Divya Sharan: I will try to answer your queries one by one.
1. Hand brake light stays ON on the dashboard:

I think you need to check the brake fluid levels and if needed replenish it. Secondly as already mentioned the contact switch needs to be checked and if required replaced.

2 Wobbling of the car:
You have not mentioned the condition of your tires. Worn out tires can also be one of the primary reasons for car wobbling. In addition to that since your car has already done 50k kms, the suspensions are already on its last legs. Nevertheless you need to replace the whole suspension set up including lower arms, tie rod and ball joint. Please include the shock absorbers and all their relevant rubber bushes.
3 Front axle seems to have gone bust
Now this is a bit suspicious. Is the axle boot torn? Is there any lube leaking from the axle boot? Are you getting any khat-khat sound during full turns? All these things need to be checked before declaring the axle defective.You should take a genuine second opinion from a FNG for this observation of the MASS.More over ask them which front axle.Left or right.
4 Silencer/exhaust pipe has a crack in the middle underneath the car.:
This is a pretty common phenomenon in nearly all the petrol cars. The reason I feel is condensation. Welding a metal patch on to the affected area is a regular procedure typically done by denters and painters. This is quite reliable too. Kindly go ahead and get it done.
All the rest of the things mentioned by you are routine things and doesn’t require any afterthought. You just have to ensure that the radiator hoses etc are properly removed and refitted while removing the radiator for flushing.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th May 2014 at 11:01.
cotterpin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 11:02   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks all for the prompt replies!

Dad has decided to get a second opinion from an independant garage before committing to MASS's diagnosis. I have mailed him the URL to this thread as well and he shall take all your advices into consideration.
Good that a second opinion is considered. If the second opinion says the same then go ahead with the repairs.

Anurag.

Most Viewed