Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2019, 16:02   #526
BHPian

Re: Help! Car submerged in flood

Drove my car to the service center and have given it to them today for inspection. Two things stood out:

1. They are saying some spares are not in stock and some cars flooded in July still don’t have the parts they needed. So if my car needs any such spare part, I will to have wait until the stock arrives

2. They are saying if I claim insurance on a flood affected car, I will lose my warranty from Hyundai (1 year warranty still left). If I don't claim from insurance and get it fixed myself, warranty stays intact. Does not make sense to me. Does anyone here know anything about this?
Old 5th September 2019, 16:50   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post

2. They are saying if I claim insurance on a flood affected car, I will lose my warranty from Hyundai (1 year warranty still left). If I don't claim from insurance and get it fixed myself, warranty stays intact. Does not make sense to me. Does anyone here know anything about this?
That's not right! If you are getting the car fixed at an authorized dealer through your insurance, the warranty has to be intact!

Take it from the dealer in writing and write to Hyundai and the Insurance company.
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 06:39   #528
Senior - BHPian

Storm in Kolkata last night and my basement flooded 4 hours AFTER the rain ended!!!

Thanks to my stupidity, my Honda City is in the basement.

Attachment 2008371

Discovered this 15 mins ago..

How worried should I be. Should I wade through the water and disconnect the battery? Will unlocking / opening the door cause more damage?

Got my BMW 3 Series and Tucson out in time. City was in a higher area so i assumed it was going to be ok..
Attached Thumbnails
Help! Car submerged in flood-20200521_064021.jpg  

Last edited by AbhiJ : 21st May 2020 at 06:42.
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 07:19   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Storm in Kolkata last night and my basement flooded 4 hours AFTER the rain ended!!!

Attachment 2008371

How worried should I be. Should I wade through the water and disconnect the battery? Will unlocking / opening the door cause more damage?

Got my BMW 3 Series and Tucson out in time. City was in a higher area so i assumed it was going to be ok..
If that is the maximum water level, you have nothing to worry at all. If the car was submerged to above bonet line and water seeped into the cabin, you should be worried.

In either case, opening the door will not do any harm. Open the door and disconnect the battery. Don't try to put in the key. That will do more harm than good. Leave it untouched and let your insurance take care of it.

In case you are looking for how to restore a car, I did one couple of years ago. It is here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ndai-getz.html (Buying & restoring a Chennai flood-damaged Hyundai Getz!)
aveemashfaq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 07:19   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2008371

Is the water level rising. If it is the you have no option but to move the car.

From the picture it looks like the water is almost half way up the wheels at the front. Also it looks like the level is higher at front and recedes towards the rear.

My suggestion is to walk over the car with a flash light and peek from the front windows and see if there is water inside. My guess is there would not be any water.

Don't open the door, it will cause the water to gush in.

If the water is already inside then you have no choice but to pull the vehicle out using help from some people. Do not start the car in any circumstances.

Check the water level outside, if it is receding and there is no water inside the car, then just watch the situation.

If the water level is rising then pull the vehicle out using help from some people around.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 08:09   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
City was in a higher area so i assumed it was going to be ok..
If that is the max. water level the car has seen, you have nothing to worry about.

Having seen several floods, let me tell you that it is never safe to assume a higher level in a basement is fine, especially with unpredictable rainfall.

If you can get to the car, see if there is water inside. If not, open the door, open the bonnet, check your engine oil quality, and if it is ok(no emulsion) and the water isn't that deep, drive the car out.

OR

Just inspect and leave the car as is - you can breathe easy.

If you think there is more heavy rain round the corner, remove the car from the basement

Last edited by vigsom : 21st May 2020 at 08:12. Reason: addition
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 11:49   #532
BHPian

My 2017 Aspire TDCi fell victim to the intense rain of Amphan cyclone.

Help! Car submerged in flood-psx_20200522_111706.jpg

Water has found its way into my cabin floor via somewhere.

I was helpless to watch my garage getting flooded.

Rainfall was so intense that rain pipes in roof top couldn't drain the rain water fast enough & staircases became waterfall as roof overflowed.

Even after rain slowed down, I saw the water level higher than wheel bearings & as per manual, it was unsafe for starting the car. Beside it was hell out side with roof asbestos & other large debris flying around.

Help! Car submerged in flood-psx_20200522_112456.jpg
Help! Car submerged in flood-psx_20200522_112421.jpg

I had to wait till next morning. Once water level went down a bit, took a look inside the bonnet to check if engine bay looked dry enough. Satisfied, I cranked the engine & moved it out in open & higher ground.

What are things I should be worried about?

Spent entire yesterday trying to get the cabin dry. No electricity, so there was no chance of vaccum. I used physical labour to get the water out. First it was mug, then using microfiber to soak as much as I could from the wet floor carpet

Still it's wet.

I have parked the car under hot sun today and kept a window slightly down to allow heat builtup & the moisture to escape.

Now thinking,

Can such water level do any wheel bearing damage or drive axle bearings? What else I should be concerned of?

Thanks.

Last edited by NaXal : 22nd May 2020 at 11:50.
Old 22nd May 2020, 14:05   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveemashfaq View Post
If that is the maximum water level, you have nothing to worry at all. If the car was submerged to above bonet line and water seeped into the cabin, you should be worried.

In either case, opening the door will not do any harm. Open the door and disconnect the battery. Don't try to put in the key. That will do more harm than good. Leave it untouched and let your insurance take care of it.

In case you are looking for how to restore a car, I did one couple of years ago. It is here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ndai-getz.html (Buying & restoring a Chennai flood-damaged Hyundai Getz!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Is the water level rising. If it is the you have no option but to move the car.

From the picture it looks like the water is almost half way up the wheels at the front. Also it looks like the level is higher at front and recedes towards the rear.

My suggestion is to walk over the car with a flash light and peek from the front windows and see if there is water inside. My guess is there would not be any water.

Don't open the door, it will cause the water to gush in.

If the water is already inside then you have no choice but to pull the vehicle out using help from some people. Do not start the car in any circumstances.

Check the water level outside, if it is receding and there is no water inside the car, then just watch the situation.

If the water level is rising then pull the vehicle out using help from some people around.
Thank you for the quick and super sound advice.

When in distress , the first thing that stops working in the mind, and thats why I love this forum.

Sorry for the late reply... been a crazy 2 days thanks to the aftermath of the storm .. This car was parked in the underground.

Shortly after posting the question (8 30 AM) I went to check on the car again. I had taken photos at 6 AM so was sure that the level was actually RISING. I checked that there were no issues in the power lines and decided to go see the car up close.

The level has steadily increasing as the drains were not taking away water...

The front door line level was starting to go underwater. I got in using the rear door and the interior was dry. I confirmed that the tail pipe was over the water (the parking lot is higher towards the rear of the car). Popped the bonnet to confirm that intake is clear. Started the car and drove out without incident.

Car running fine, carpets are dry, no water on dip stick .

The water level increased after that even though multiple pumps are running. Lot of my apartment's cars are still stuck . ...
AbhiJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 14:11   #534
Senior - BHPian

Close shave. Congrats on getting your car out in time.
Old 25th May 2020, 14:57   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
My 2017 Aspire TDCi fell victim to the intense rain of Amphan cyclone.
It’s been couple of days, & it is very tiring for me to wait beside the car with all doors open in an open field under hot sun.

Problem is dust getting in side the cabin.

Beside even after few hours everyday, carpet is still wet & it’s starting to smell when parked overnight with windows rolled up.

Ford Service was closed in Kolkata due to lockdown & Amphan pushed their opening time back by few days also. However finally got an appointment at Kaikhan Ford (Birati) on Wednesday.

Rs. 1100/- + GST (interior)
Rs. 500/- + GST (exterior)

These are mandatory charge for so called de-sanitisation. Plus the actual work they would need to do.

No estimate given over phone.

A friend called up Ganges Ford (another dealer in Kolkata) and found they are charging Rs. 1k (total) for this mandatory de-sanitisation stuff.

No pick up / drop available. I have to arrange for my own transportation to return home
Old 25th May 2020, 15:36   #536
BHPian

Best bet would be to get the entire carpet out, wash it with fabric cleaner/ mild soap, rinse and let it dry in the sun abd reinstall the same. Even after multiple rounds of wet Vaccum, moisture will remain under the carpet which will cause bad smell and probably rust.

You can do it at home after getting seats and trims removed at any fng or do it as a diy.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 01:05   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
You can do it at home after getting seats and trims removed at any fng or do it as a diy.
Paid the premium and got the work done from 3M Kolkata.

Help! Car submerged in flood-screenshot_20200527010808.jpg

Last edited by NaXal : 27th May 2020 at 01:09.
NaXal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 10:42   #538
BHPian

Hello all!

Hate to be on this thread, but there are some things one just cannot avoid.

Recently, it rained quite a lot and as a result, there was a huge amount of water logging. Thankfully, my Merc was parked inside it's garage, so it survived, but my 2 decade old iKON wasn't as lucky.

Since it was parked out on the road, the cabin got completely drenched. Fortunately, water didn't go into the engine bay, but my carpets have got completely drenched.
I have been parking it under the sun for the past 2 days, but the carpet is so soaked that water oozes out upon pressing it.

I would really appreciate suggestions on drying it. I can't take the carpet out, as I don't want to visit a mechanic ( oh, these horrendous COVID days)

Thanks
Sanidhya
Attached Thumbnails
Help! Car submerged in flood-20200729_101517.jpg  

Help! Car submerged in flood-20200729_102009.jpg  

Old 29th July 2020, 10:54   #539
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Recently, it rained quite a lot and as a result, there was a huge amount of water logging. Thankfully, my Merc was parked inside it's garage, so it survived, but my 2 decade old iKON wasn't as lucky.
I would really appreciate suggestions on drying it. I can't take the carpet out, as I don't want to visit a mechanic ( oh, these horrendous COVID days)
Assuming it isn't still raining there, use the dry periods of the daytime to open all the windows out all the way, and use a vacuum cleaner and/or hair dryer (as ridiculous as that sounds) to try and push the moisture to dry up. You may have to repeat that over several sessions, drying the entire inside can take a few days if you try to do it merely with home appliances such as these. A bigger size vacuum cleaner can speed up the job. Good luck, and let us know how it goes
KarthikK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 11:00   #540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Since it was parked out on the road, the cabin got completely drenched. Fortunately, water didn't go into the engine bay, but my carpets have got completely drenched.

I would really appreciate suggestions on drying it. I can't take the carpet out,
Consider investing in a wet and dry vacuum cleaner if you dont have one yet. It can pull out a considerable amount of water from the carpets and seats. Along with the Vacuum cleaner, you will have to get this attachment:
https://www.amazon.in/VMTC-Cleaner-A...s%2C298&sr=8-4

Works well for me since I tried to wet wash the fabric upholstery of my car and after wetting the seat with soap water and sucking the water out by the vacuum cleaner, I was able to drive the car after two hours of parking in my covered parking lot. You can try this and then leave the car in the sun. If you just dry it without removing the water, the car will be left with a stench. Hence, if you want to do DIY, remove most of the water out, then spray soap water and some dettol, brush the carpet and repeat the vacuuming. That will being back the carpets to glory.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks