Team-BHP - Help Needed for Ikon 1.6 odd steering
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Help Needed for Ikon 1.6 odd steering (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/29278-help-needed-ikon-1-6-odd-steering.html)

Hi All,

I have a 2003 Ford Ikon 1.6 SXI which is my secondry vehicle and sparingly used only 14K kms till now primary vehicle being an official opel corsa.

Getting back to the problem which is that the steering wheel is out of angle by quite a lot of degrees and i'm not able to get it fixed through alignment.

The technician at a local alignment centre said the problem with ford steerings is that the grooves in the streening are too big so even if he puts the streeing by skippeing one groove that would not help. he even tried this in fron t of me but failed. Also he said that front chambers are also out and it is non adjustable for car like City,cielo,fords etc and can only be fixed by replacing the shock absorbers.. i wonder how this problem be rectified ?

One point worth mentioning is that i had a small accident soon after i bought the car wherein a ZEN rammed straight onto my front left wheel and broke the streeing column's left side elbow. repairs were done and columns was fixed and allow wheel channged too

Can anyone of you suggest what can be done regarding this

Regards,
Akhil

Local technician taking you for a ride. During the alignment process they are supposed to lock the steering at the driving angle and then do the alignments.

Now, since you have had a suspension replacement, your steering might not have been aligned at dead straight position at that time.

Now by how much angle the steering is skewed. If the angle is small,take it to the alignment shop and while doing the alignment put the steering on desired position and ask them to adjust the toe settings from that point. They might have to read-just a great deal, but nothing they can't do.

If the angle is big, dismantle the steering at a time the wheels are pointing to make the car go straight and re-attach. Ikons steering is its beauty and if that is skewed it makes no point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akhilesh (Post 574669)
Getting back to the problem which is that the steering wheel is out of angle by quite a lot of degrees and i'm not able to get it fixed through alignment.

Also he said that front chambers are also out and it is non adjustable for car like City,cielo,fords etc and can only be fixed by replacing the shock absorbers.. i wonder how this problem be rectified ?

hi akhilesh,
i agree with 1100D
getting the steering wheel in dead straight position is not rocket science..
dont understnd why your alignment guy is unable to do it.. in almost all
the modern alignment machines, the steering wheel is first locked into
the straight ahead position and then the front wheels are aligned in
accordance.. in fact you should not need to open the steering hub
and reposition it to correct the postion as they come centered from the
factory and if the alignment is done with the proper procedure and accuracy,
they should not move out of the straight ahead position..

he is right about the camber part though.. but even the camber can
me made adjustable..
what part of delhi are you in?
got to Das, in chanakyapuri, opposite chanakya cinema.. he does alignment at petrolpump on the corner.. he did the adjustable
camber mod on a friends 1.3 ikon about three years back.. good job.

but you also mention some crash damage to the front left wheel.. if you are not sure
that the damage was repaired properly, visit another workshop for a second opinion..
cheers

Sorry for late reply !

Thanks 1100D, that technician was surely taking me for a ride. Never faced such issues with any of my cars. Ikons steering sure is a beauty :)

gotzuk, Thanks alot man followed your advice and went to das this sunday. Guy fixed the problem in seconds :) truly is a master.. My car's streeing i perfect now

Thanks Guys once again

hey akhikesh,
good to hear that you problem has been sorted..:Cheering:
cheers.