Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2007, 22:41   #16
BHPian

Labor costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityapd View Post
tsk - carfax was the one thing i got even before I started looking out for cars..the report doesn't show many records for this vehicle. I checked with Toyota and also the service manual and the recommended mileage for timing belt change is mentioned as 90K for this vehicle.

btw the hissing sound also has a metallic clink to it...so I'm just hoping that its just the belt and not the bearing for the waterpump or the alternator...

Toyota authorised dealers have quoted $ 115 to 135 for belt replacement and to my surprise the cost of the belt in the Toyota parts center is just around $ 13...wonder why are they charging more than $ 100 for labour.????

~A
Its primarily the labor cost. Generally the customer is charged about $90-$100 per hour. It does not matter what they actually pay the guys. There are a few points to note

Its very usual people sell used cars around major recommended service periods, typical timing belt, etc.. around 60K Miles, others around 80/90K miles.

Service costs would be cheaper in Chinese/ Indian owned gas stations and unbranded mechanics, you may not find them to be reliable.

Since the car is old, you may want to check with AAA as well repair centers too.
Old 28th September 2007, 23:51   #17
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Aditya,
I see that you're in Philadelphia, so am I. If you'd like, I know of a good mechanic who does work for cheap..you buy the parts from autozone or pepboys if you like and just give it to him, he'll fix it at much much much lesser cost than any dealership..let me know if you're interested..
Old 29th September 2007, 08:39   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Aditya,
I see that you're in Philadelphia, so am I. If you'd like, I know of a good mechanic who does work for cheap..you buy the parts from autozone or pepboys if you like and just give it to him, he'll fix it at much much much lesser cost than any dealership..let me know if you're interested..
Thanks RJK, I'm interested and have PMed you my details. Would he have access to Toyota's specs to maintain tightness etc for the belts I am planning to replace ?

~A

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks