Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2007, 23:46   #1
BHPian

Hissing sound from belts in my Avalon

Finally purchased my first car in the US of A last week and I am just too satisfied with it. This is a 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS which has done 80K miles and is the fully loaded version with moonroof, heated leather, trip computer, climate control, etc. It has a massive 220 bhp 3.0 L DOHC V6 under the hood. It is silky smooth and I love the way the it silently purrs while cruising on the highway and at the same time responds within a fraction of a sec upon pushing the gas to release tons of reserve power which it has in store shoving me back into the seat.

The only thing which bother me about this car is the hissing sound from the belt / pulley when I start the car early in the morning. I'm not sure but I think the sound disappears after sometime as the car warms up. I did show it to the Firestone guys and they examined the belts for cracks but couldn't find anything. Then they sprayed the belt with some lubricant spray which made eliminated the sound only to reppear after 2 days .

Have any of you guys come across something like this before ? Is replacing the belt, the only solution for this ?

As always, waiting for your inputs...

~A
Old 26th September 2007, 11:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition. Avalon XLS is a great machine and with 268 BHP at 6200 RPM with a 6 speed AT, it is a demon of a car .

As you say after the spray on the belts the hissing went off for a few days and reappeared, let me tell you that this hissing will change to a wailing screetch after some time.

It seems the belt (s) have hardened or not tightened properly. If there is a slack then also this happens.

It is better to get them changed at the earliest..

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityapd View Post
Finally purchased my first car in the US of A last week and I am just too satisfied with it. This is a 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS which has done 80K miles and is the fully loaded version with moonroof, heated leather, trip computer, climate control, etc. It has a massive 220 bhp 3.0 L DOHC V6 under the hood. It is silky smooth and I love the way the it silently purrs while cruising on the highway and at the same time responds within a fraction of a sec upon pushing the gas to release tons of reserve power which it has in store shoving me back into the seat.

The only thing which bother me about this car is the hissing sound from the belt / pulley when I start the car early in the morning. I'm not sure but I think the sound disappears after sometime as the car warms up. I did show it to the Firestone guys and they examined the belts for cracks but couldn't find anything. Then they sprayed the belt with some lubricant spray which made eliminated the sound only to reppear after 2 days .

Have any of you guys come across something like this before ? Is replacing the belt, the only solution for this ?

As always, waiting for your inputs...

~A
Old 26th September 2007, 14:51   #3
BHPian

aditya, congrats on the avalon.

all symptoms that you have mentioned are typical to any belt-driven pulley kind of mechanism (either on or off a car).

checking for tightness of the belt may not be a solution according to me as the belt might be old.

check when the belt was changed, if not, the best option will be to change the belt and make sure to set it to the OEM tightness during install.

this will surely void this noise.

Last edited by gbpscars : 26th September 2007 at 14:53.
Old 26th September 2007, 18:49   #4
BHPian

thanks for your replies gd1418 and gbpscars...your response is much appreciated !!! Since I've just bought this used car, I'm not sure about its past history but i think to be on the safer side, I'll get the belt changed soon.

and gd1418 my car is a 2000 Avalon XLS which comes with 210 hp and a 4 speed automatic transmission.

~A
Old 27th September 2007, 00:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, Aditya!
My brother's 1992 Toyota Corolla used to have the same hissing sound. The mechanic we took the car to,said that over time the belt & some of the other parts get creaky,hence the hissing sound. Invariably, once the car gets warmed up,the noise disappears. Particularly seen this in fall/winter,when it takes longer for the car to warm up.
Old 27th September 2007, 03:49   #6
Team-BHP Support

aditya. Spend some money(30$ or so) and get a carfax report. This will have all the record.
As for slipping belts, if you tighten them too much, it may screw up the bearings, thats a 1000-1500$ charge.
Usually the timing belt lasts till 110K miles in such engines. Get the service manual, and that has scheduled replacement chart.
Compare that with carfax report
Old 27th September 2007, 08:39   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
aditya. Spend some money(30$ or so) and get a carfax report. This will have all the record.
As for slipping belts, if you tighten them too much, it may screw up the bearings, thats a 1000-1500$ charge.
Usually the timing belt lasts till 110K miles in such engines. Get the service manual, and that has scheduled replacement chart.
Compare that with carfax report
tsk - carfax was the one thing i got even before I started looking out for cars..the report doesn't show many records for this vehicle. I checked with Toyota and also the service manual and the recommended mileage for timing belt change is mentioned as 90K for this vehicle.

btw the hissing sound also has a metallic clink to it...so I'm just hoping that its just the belt and not the bearing for the waterpump or the alternator...

Toyota authorised dealers have quoted $ 115 to 135 for belt replacement and to my surprise the cost of the belt in the Toyota parts center is just around $ 13...wonder why are they charging more than $ 100 for labour.????

~A
Old 27th September 2007, 13:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

The $100 is the tax you pay to go to an authorised service centre..

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityapd View Post
Toyota authorised dealers have quoted $ 115 to 135 for belt replacement and to my surprise the cost of the belt in the Toyota parts center is just around $ 13...wonder why are they charging more than $ 100 for labour.????

~A
Old 27th September 2007, 20:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Labor costs a fortune here in the US. Invariably,you end up shelling out much more to get a person to have the problem fixed, than the actual repair/replacement part.

My guess is that the timing belt needs to be changed. On an average, the timing belts used in Toyota cars last 60-80K,depening on the driving conditions & location. Honda cars have belts that last 100-110K miles,on an average.

I'd suggest taking the car to Midas/Jiffy Lube and getting it inspected. If the noise reduces after a while,then it might not be anything big. Midas has a good dignostic service,so that should work just fine.
Old 27th September 2007, 23:02   #10
Team-BHP Support

replace belt, again ensure you re check the slack after 6000 miles with the new belt. i've heard from friends in US that its better to use local private garage for similar piece jobs on $$ front.

oh yeah, as mentioned, get the timing belts checked also, since they are usually due for replacement at these log points, just to be sure and safe.

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th September 2007 at 23:04.
Old 28th September 2007, 00:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
i've heard from friends in US that its better to use local private garage for similar piece jobs on $$ front.
true, look for services-automotive in craigslist. by your own part and take it to them.

see if you hve an autozone nearby, they can recommend you a competent local mechanic (between the two extremes).

just make sure you oversee the whole thing since they may screw it up and are not backed by any liability.
Old 28th September 2007, 00:28   #12
Team-BHP Support

Normally when they open up stuff they keep on finding new things.
My friend did a scheduled timing belt replacement from non authorized guys. It cost him 500$+
While opening up they found engine mountings also needed replacement, so total cost was 1100$ out of which 700-800 was labor and rest parts.
Old 28th September 2007, 01:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Normally when they open up stuff they keep on finding new things.
My friend did a scheduled timing belt replacement from non authorized guys. It cost him 500$+
While opening up they found engine mountings also needed replacement, so total cost was 1100$ out of which 700-800 was labor and rest parts.

Happens quite often. My Mazda Protege had an issue with the muffler, and when I took it to the mechanic, he began pointing one thing after the other. A few of these seemed like genuine faults, and I had to sideline the rest of them. There are a few guys who are really good, and out of interest they usually improvise a few things to fix minor faults.
Old 28th September 2007, 04:46   #14
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
they charging more than $ 100 for labour.????
because labour is $50-$75/hour. The same thing was happening with my car and I've not done anything. It went away after summer.. That spray should just work fine. And yes, I'm a student so can't afford to fix everything all the time..so you guys stop judging My car also currently needs an exhaust which is busted, so it sounds like a free flow right now.. :P
Old 28th September 2007, 22:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Haha...totally understand that, RJK !! My Protege needed a muffler change, and it sounded pretty good. At time I felt like I was driving a Mustang..

Cost me close to $250 to fix everything (if i remember right)...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks