Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2007, 13:36   #1
BHPian

Help required regarding the mahindra classic!!

Hi...
I own a mahindra classic (96'). I stay in Mangalore(Karnataka).
I hav some queries:
1) I have come across a few posts by the administrator (GTO) in which an air conditioner for a classic has been mentioned. I would like to know more about it!
2) I hav also seen a red coloured lock system for a classic (I think its a steering lock or something like that... Not sure!!). I am searching for one. I would like to know more about it.
3) If possible, i would be delighted if the administrator(GTO) sends me a picture(snap) of the arrangement of the music system in the jeep. I want to set up a music system in my jeep. i hav no idea how and where i can fit the speakers and the system itself. I am also worried about its safety. I dont want to expose it too much and hence increase the risk of getting it stolen!! Please help me!!

Thank You!!
Old 26th September 2007, 14:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1) I have come across a few posts by the administrator (GTO) in which an air conditioner for a classic has been mentioned. I would like to know more about it!
Hi Digvijay. I have retrofitted a Tata Sierra air-con in my Classic. The fabrication was custom, and was finalised only after a good amount of trial and error. But the end result was a truly chilling air-conditioner.

Quote:
2) I hav also seen a red coloured lock system for a classic (I think its a steering lock or something like that... Not sure!!).
A must have for any car! Its a steering grip lock and comes in various designs. I prefer the model which locks the steering wheel to the clutch pedal. Cost about 300 - 700 bucks (depending on quality) and is available at your neighbourhood accessory shop.

Quote:
3) If possible, i would be delighted if the administrator(GTO) sends me a picture(snap) of the arrangement of the music system in the jeep. I want to set up a music system in my jeep. i hav no idea how and where i can fit the speakers and the system itself.
Its a very simple fit. The stereo goes into the lockable glovebox of the Classic dashboard, while two 6x9 speakers easily fit below the rear seat. However, you will have to hire the services of a carpenter to make a custom boombox for the speakers.

Look in my Classic 4x4 review (long-term ownership reports section). Theres a picture of the stereo in there.
Old 26th September 2007, 15:36   #3
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the replies!!

Hi GTO...

thanks for those valuable comments!! i would like to know a few more things!!

1) how much did the air conditioner installation totally cost?? do u know anyone here in Karnataka who can help me out in this matter??

2) the steering grip lock isnt available here.. i hav gone around hoping to find it... but have not been able to get hold of any.. if possible, i will need your help!! i will surely bear all the expenses for it through online transactions!! so pls let me know if you can help me out in this.. I too prefer the same lock which you have!! All that i need is, some time of yours!! Hope u will be able to spare some of your free time to help me!!

3)I am searching for the doors and soft top frame which came with the original vehicle.. I dont have it with me!! I hav contacted mahindra here in karnataka, but they are not able to help me.. they say, its not available now!! I will be really grateful if you can help me get it!!

Any more queries, i will surely be asking You!! I hope i will get the help i need!!

Thank u!!
Old 27th September 2007, 09:55   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

BDN

1. The air-con installation should cost you anywhere between 7,500 - 10,000 since there is a lot of fabrication involved.

2. It would be best for you to pick up the grip lock from the nearest big city. You could also try ebay or something.

3. For the soft-cop, contact Milestone on 2418.1283. It is a Mahindra owned workshop. I am sure they wont have a problem in sending it over to you, though the courier costs could be killing!
Old 27th September 2007, 12:19   #5
BHPian

hi GTO,

thanks a lot again, for ur Valuable advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
BDN
3. For the soft-cop, contact Milestone on 2418.1283. It is a Mahindra owned workshop. I am sure they wont have a problem in sending it over to you, though the courier costs could be killing!
U have mentioned Milestone above... but may i know where it actually is?? I mean.. Which place?? Is it in MUMBAI??
Old 27th September 2007, 15:01   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yup, Its a Mahindra owned workshop.
Old 27th September 2007, 15:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

If U're installing AC in a Mahindra classic, I would suggest upgrading the radiator.
And also add an electric fan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks