Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2007, 15:32   #1

Indica Diesel Turbo with/without the intercooler?

Hi All
This is my first post here. I bought my new Indica Diesel Turbo DLS (Cavern Gray) in Jun 07. Never had any technical information (though family owns a Maruthi 800) and simply listened to my intuition and decided to go for Indica Diesel. No major regrets except that
I knew there are three models available in the Turbo range but I opted for DLS. I felt DLG is a gimmick to trap certain category of customers who get fascinated by words like Power windows(only front), left side ORVM etc and DLX for better luxury. But never realized myself that technically they have one more feature called Intercooler till I read the details in this and some other forums. Now here are my questions to the gurus.
1) Does not having the intercooler affect the life and efficiency of the engine? Or what are the disadvantages of not having the intercooler for an engine that has Turbo?
2) Can Intercooler be attached externally? If Yes, how much would that cost?
3) Would getting it fixed externally affect the warranty on the vehicle?

And one more thing I would like to say here is that I have seen some postings suggesting to go for Indica Diesel only if one has budget restrictions. If the criteria for buying a car is not the fuel type (Diesel) then 3.8 lakhs, ex showrm price Bengalooru for a basic DLS version is a huge amount to spend. With this money one can buy higher end models of the other small car brands.

I love my Indica, it ROCKS

cheers:
Vish
Old 27th September 2007, 17:41   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1) Does not having the intercooler affect the life and efficiency of the engine? Or what are the disadvantages of not having the intercooler for an engine that has Turbo?
Simply put = The intercooler "cools" down compressed air from the turbocharger. Cool air = denser = more power.

Quote:
2) Can Intercooler be attached externally? If Yes, how much would that cost?
3) Would getting it fixed externally affect the warranty on the vehicle?
Considering that the Indigo (with the same engine, engine bay, front end) has the intercooler, I dont see why it should not be possible.

That said.....the cost, headache of sourcing parts and further headache of a proper installation should be enough to dissuade you from going ahead with an intercooler install. And yes, say bye bye to your warranty too.

Most Viewed