Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2007, 07:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Weird handling of Hyundai Verna

One of my friend had recently bought a Hyundai Verna Crdi top end.
He is facing certain issues with the car.

On straight roads when he let goes off the steering, it starts moving to the left. He asked about this with the service manager and got a reply saying that it is normal in all hyundai cars.

He was offered to test drive other cars and he found the same problem in all the cars. He even talked to the Hyundai customer care and the technical engineer getting the same response.

The dealer from where he bought the car also showed him a report sent by HMIL stating that the camber angle is not proper for indian roads. I am not quite sure of the contents of the report, so I have asked my friend to get a copy of that report.

Can anyone confirm this.

The dealer is Advaith Hyundai in Mysore.

My friend is tired of such irresponsible attitude of the dealer and the company and is thinking about selling the car and getting a Fiesta.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2007, 07:37   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Initially, I though it must be an allignment issue. But if they know that its a camber issue, why can't they rectify it? I think if you better go to Basha's Allignment Centre near Shivajinagar, he should be able to change the camber settings. I think that could solve your friends problem rather than selling his car.
Old 28th September 2007, 08:04   #3
BHPian

This is in line with the TD I had too- and I went against verna . Got a feeling something is wrong or crude in there
Old 28th September 2007, 10:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Or is it related to the road levelling on the indian roads along with the camber issue.

Indian roads are slanted more towards the left and by a noticable amount.
Old 28th September 2007, 10:55   #5
Team-BHP Support

I felt exactly the same thing when I drove my bro-in-laws new Verna.
told him that there is something wrong with the car alignment and actually told him to have it checked up.

His previous car was an Accent non crdi diesel and I have driven her without this problem. So its not anything to do with HMIL.

Also the road on which this happened is SP Road @ Hyd.
I don't face this in my Wagon R either.
I think its a problem with Verna and not

Last edited by bblost : 28th September 2007 at 10:56. Reason: typo
Old 28th September 2007, 11:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

No it is not the alignment issue. My friend was offered other cars for test drive also and all of the cars had the same issue.
If HMIL knows it is something about camber, why cant they rectify it rather than asking the customers "sir, this is like this ony". [This was said by the technical engineer from Hyundai and not from the service person at the dealer]

This just shows the careless attitude of the dealer as well as the company.
Old 28th September 2007, 11:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is a known problem with Verna's in particular. My friend's car had the same & MGF Hyundai couldn't fix it so for the second service she was sent to HMP Delhi where the problem was solved.
Old 28th September 2007, 12:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

@iraghava, can you tell what was done on that car to fix the problem?
Old 28th September 2007, 13:49   #9
BHPian

I have a customer who's had this same issue with his Verna Crdi (one of the first to be delivered),and after shuttling to and fro at the dealership for this problem,he threatened to "tumhari ---- & ---- ek kar doonga" that's when they had a tech guy from mumbai first and then chennai fly down to try and diagnose the problem.Nothing worked. They finally gave him a new car,this after the Registration and insurance had been done and the car had been used by him for over 2 months. I don;t see him complaining anymore,so I guess it's not there on the replacement car.

Last edited by WasavaTyres : 28th September 2007 at 13:50.
Old 28th September 2007, 17:39   #10
BHPian

Is that a problem after upsizing or on stock tyres?
Old 28th September 2007, 18:50   #11
BHPian

Stock Tyres. At least on the case in hand that I got to see.
Old 28th September 2007, 19:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Verna's side pulling is a common issue throughout the country and it mostly remains unsolved because the Allignment figures of Verna are quite different in comparison to other cars and not all service stations are informed about this..
Some Vernas have problem with their subframe and apron setting which also causes this side pulling.
Old 10th August 2023, 15:08   #13

Re: Weird handling of Hyundai Verna

Although I am 16 years late to this thread, let me put here a few of the alignment issues with my Verna 2017 VTVT Petrol. Once, while I was driving to a nearby hill station near Bangalore, I overtook a passing trolley, and during this, I bumped the car into a considerably big hole on the right side. And since that day, problems have started in the car related to alignment, steering rack, EPS motor, and what not. After spending around Rs. 25K at various local garages and alignment centres, I was finally able to solve these issues and try to capture them point-wise.

1. EPS motor: It Seems it was an old problem before the bumping. The spring noise used to come while rotating the steering wheel. ASS and the local garage both suggested replacing this. It cost Rs. 5,500, and the problem was solved.

2. Steering rack noise: While rotating the steering wheel, a kat-kat sound on both sides appeared after the bump. It was repaired locally and cost Rs. 2,700. ASS had quoted Rs. 50,000 for entire replacement of assembly and a wait duration of 10 days.

3. Alignment issues: This problem, although costing less, took three alignment centre visits and constant worry about tyre age and the chances of an accident.

First visit to a local garage where I got the steering rack issue solved. They charged Rs. 1,850 and said they had to do camber alignment as well. Little did I know that camber settings are not available in Verna. However, the alignment issue was resolved temporarily. They asked to revisit after 1,000 kilometres. By then again, the kat-kat sound of the steering rack had appeared, but it was much less audible. The guy took 5 minutes to adjust a few bolts near the clutch pedal, which reduced the noise further. I made peace with a little noise coming as he mentioned a replacement that would cost around 15K (I didn't give much thought to this as already I had spent a good amount due to a bump).

I wasn't very satisfied with the work of the first garage. Second visit to another local garage for replacing clutch plates and flywheel. They suggested doing the wheel alignment just after the replacement. That day was a holiday, and it was late in the evening. I was able to get the alignment done at one of the alignment centres that I could find nearby. But the veering off-left problem was back the next day, even after the alignment.

I finally visited Royal Wheel Alignment Jakkur after I saw a few good reviews on BHP forums and because they were near my workplace. They said the car needed camber alignment, and the guys who did that previously had messed up the settings. I relied on them, and they took around an hour to finish the job. It cost Rs. 2,100, and it seems the wheels are aligned properly (no veering off left or right after putting the steering in centre position).
avinash1400 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 04:02   #14
BHPian

Vehicles veering off to either left or right is a very common problem that should be rectified, for good driving experience by a competent alignment tech which is hard to come by.

It is independent of socalled road cambers or manufacturers/models.
Old 17th August 2023, 14:23   #15

I finally visited Royal Wheel Alignment Jakkur after I saw a few good reviews on BHP forums and because they were near my workplace. They said the car needed camber alignment, and the guys who did that previously had messed up the settings. I relied on them, and they took around an hour to finish the job. It cost Rs. 2,100, and it seems the wheels are aligned properly (no veering off left or right after putting the steering in centre position).[/quote]

The veering right problem reappeared (earlier it was veering left) after a week of driving around 300 km. I re-visited Royal Wheels Jakkur (assuming their warranty lasts for at least a hundred kilometres). There was a Mini Cooper getting alignment done for the rear wheels. As perplexing as it was for me, I was more concerned about whether this problem would ever go away or not for my car. The guy said the steering was a bit 'cross', but there wasn't any alignment problem. He adjusted the settings again and said to go away and come back after a few thousand kilometres. Sensing his sense of urgency and his lunch break waiting, I urged him to take one more test ride. Similar to last time, we had a test ride, and according to him, the acceleration was perfect. After he handed over the car to me, I was in no mood to validate his findings with him in the passenger seat. I left the place, promising myself never to visit again. As my driving is pretty much limited in the city and the tyres are not showing further signs of wear, I will visit Madhu's in the near future after seeing their good reviews on BHP. The place is far from my office and residence, hence delaying this requirement.
avinash1400 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks