Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2007, 15:44   #16
BHPian

Jaggu and Nura,
Thanks for your valuable input.I will get this checked at the garage keeping the points you both mentioned in mind.
Old 3rd November 2007, 23:54   #17
BHPian

fuel smell in swift

hi people

got a petrol swift
always fill up a full tank at a time
always got the smell of petrol in my car after filling up ONLY after filling up , ; then it would die away

always forgot to mention it to maruti
today got stuck somewhere & filled up 200 rs of xtraprem on an empty ish tank ...the smell was stronger then usual & this problem has been slowly getting worse but as usual even this subsided

any clues any body
will ask my mechs too
on monday

ANY SWIFT OWNERS ' FEEDBACK WOULD BE GREAT
cheers people
thanks again

cy
Old 3rd November 2007, 23:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Most probably its the case of the fuel lid / fuel lid cap. Get it checked. Have experienced same but not in swift.
Old 4th November 2007, 00:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Most probably its the case of the fuel lid / fuel lid cap. Get it checked. Have experienced same but not in swift.
no mate pretty sure thats not it

windows are always kept up & the ventilation is closed to fresh air ::whilst i fill up

& of course the cars s off whilst filling up

cy
Old 6th November 2007, 04:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyneverdie View Post
hi people

got a petrol swift
always fill up a full tank at a time
always got the smell of petrol in my car after filling up ONLY after filling up , ; then it would die away

always forgot to mention it to maruti
today got stuck somewhere & filled up 200 rs of xtraprem on an empty ish tank ...the smell was stronger then usual & this problem has been slowly getting worse but as usual even this subsided

any clues any body
will ask my mechs too
on monday

ANY SWIFT OWNERS ' FEEDBACK WOULD BE GREAT
cheers people
thanks again

cy
dude, this seems like a dangerous thing, I suggest u go to a dealership ASAP to see if they can figure out something.
But in the meanwhile does :
1]the smell of the petrol increase while the engine is running and car is stationary ? or it only comes while filling up with the engine off ?
2]If it comes while engine is runnig can u can u raise the hood and check if it is coming from the engine bay ?
3] Does it come from the rear of the car ?
Old 6th November 2007, 05:33   #21
BHPian

hi the smell is due to the breather pipe of fuel tank blocked clean up the pipe the smell will vanish.
Old 10th December 2007, 18:56   #22
Team-BHP Support

All the similar threads have been merged into one. Carry on your discussion here.
Old 25th February 2008, 11:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

i have the similar problem in my car since last 2-3 months. there is smell of petrol inside the cabin most of the time.

i have checked/replaced:

1. checked carb - no overflow issue - no leaks
2. replaced carb packing with a new one
3. cleaned jets / tightened bolts - w'atever.
4. opened the boot > tried to locate the source of the smell near the breather pipe - seems OK
5. removed the LHS rear wheel > checked the breather pipe there - seems OK
6. checked under-body / fuel line - there is no leak from anywhere.
7. replaced the fuel pipes (a. the one connecting to the fuel pump?? & b. the one connecting the fuel pump to the carb) with new ones.

i dont get the smell if i keep all windows rolled up.

the smell becomes prominent if i keep the front windows opened - but there is less smell if all 4 windows are rolled down - :

the smell comes only when the car is moving.

the car behaves absolutely normal - no hickups!

what should i do / check / replace?? i own a Padmini by the way

@ 1100D / Mr. Dhabhar / Karl / Gurus - any suggestions??
Old 25th February 2008, 11:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Check for the smell in the airfilter case too.maybe you are running rich and the excess fuel would be pushed through the airfilter.have a long run and check immediately.You wont see the petrol anywere as it gets vapourised soon when the engine is hot,but you will get the smell for sure.
ram
Old 25th February 2008, 11:57   #25
BHPian

In the case that the connecting tube from petrol inlet (where we fill fuel at bunk) to the petrol tank is made of rubber , do check that also. In my case , this rubber tube has become brittle with age and slowly developed holes . This will cause some leak every time you fill petrol and later one even vapours from tank also will escape through it , hence some petrol smell may also be found.
Old 25th February 2008, 12:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Check for the smell in the airfilter case too.maybe you are running rich and the excess fuel would be pushed through the airfilter.have a long run and check immediately.You wont see the petrol anywere as it gets vapourised soon when the engine is hot,but you will get the smell for sure.
ram
i doubt that the car is running rich - but i will get it checked. PUC is due on 29th Feb - so i will get the reading.

previously it used to smell after each fill for sometime. but now it smells all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
In the case that the connecting tube from petrol inlet (where we fill fuel at bunk) to the petrol tank is made of rubber , do check that also. In my case , this rubber tube has become brittle with age and slowly developed holes . This will cause some leak every time you fill petrol and later one even vapours from tank also will escape through it , hence some petrol smell may also be found.
but dont you think that there will be smell in the boot if the fumes evaporate from the rubber pipe in the boot? there is NO smell if the car is stationary (with / without engine running) - PLUS - i said that if i keep all windows rolled up i Donot get any smell (stationary / moving) - it is quite difficult to get the smell from outside (obviously) - BUT i will check out the rubber pipe for sure
Old 25th February 2008, 13:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
but dont you think that there will be smell in the boot if the fumes evaporate from the rubber pipe in the boot? there is NO smell if the car is stationary (with / without engine running) - PLUS - i said that if i keep all windows rolled up i Donot get any smell (stationary / moving) - it is quite difficult to get the smell from outside (obviously) - BUT i will check out the rubber pipe for sure
Well buddy, you may not believe it, i never got the petrol smell into the car even with that broken tube-only once when i stood close to the car while refilling that i got some scent . But i ruled it out thinking it is normal in a petrol bunk . The broken tube was found only at the workshop when the car was hoisted for detailed checkup.I was startled and never allowed myself to estimate how much fuel i may have lost at refills and due to evaporation :(

Last edited by deetee : 25th February 2008 at 13:13.
Old 25th February 2008, 13:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
The broken tube was found only at the workshop when the car was hoisted for detailed checkup.I was startled and never allowed myself to estimate how much fuel i may have lost at refills and due to evaporation :(
ok - i will get it(also the breather pipe) re-checked / replaced.

i have also noticed that @ some pumps - the petrol spills out suddenly - but it doesnt happen always. has it got something to do with the breather pipe??
Old 25th February 2008, 20:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
ok - i will get it(also the breather pipe) re-checked / replaced.

i have also noticed that @ some pumps - the petrol spills out suddenly - but it doesnt happen always. has it got something to do with the breather pipe??

There are a lot of factors to it.

For one I beleive its the carb itself. Does the smell come irrespective of the engine being warm or cold? Have you checked visually the area around the carb whilst the warm engine is running. I think its improper needle valve height causing the carb to overflow. I will give you a call, bear with me till then.
Old 26th February 2008, 10:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
There are a lot of factors to it.

For one I beleive its the carb itself. Does the smell come irrespective of the engine being warm or cold? Have you checked visually the area around the carb whilst the warm engine is running. I think its improper needle valve height causing the carb to overflow. I will give you a call, bear with me till then.
like i said the petrol spilling out thingy doesnt happen always.

i also think the same thing - even after changing the carb packing - there is a lil bit of petrol that seeps out from the packing part - my mech said its just moisture that forms normally

the smell comes when the engine is warm - i have checked while the engine is running - i couldnt find the source of the smell with the hood open. i also think that the needle valve height is the main culprit - i will get it checked.

Most Viewed