Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 19:25   #46
Rai
BANNED

Petrol Smell inside Fiat Petra Cabin

Hello Gurus,
I have 2003 Model Fiat Petral 1.6 ELX with 80K in Odo.

Off late I am getting a very strong Petrol Smell inside the Cabin once in a while (Not Always). I always drive with 100% AC, with vent adjusted to outside Air (fresh Air) .
I have got this issue checked from more than one Dealer as well as many expert mechanics. Every Mechanic says, everything is OK and No issues.

Any idea as what may be the issue.
Rai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 19:47   #47
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Re: Petrol Smell inside Fiat Petra Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Hello Gurus,

Off late I am getting a very strong Petrol Smell inside the Cabin once in a while (Not Always). I always drive with 100% AC, with vent adjusted to outside Air (fresh Air) .
I have got this issue checked from more than one Dealer as well as many expert mechanics. Every Mechanic says, everything is OK and No issues.

Does it happen when the fuel tank is full and freshly filled? I notice that in my GTX too but only for a few mins say 2~3 and disappears after that.

I don't know the reason too and the mechanics had no clue in my case too. BTW, I'm not sure but it happens only when the fuel is filled after the cut-off but am not very sure.
Old 5th September 2011, 19:55   #48
Rai
BANNED

Thanks for reply.
Well, Petrol smell is there only for hardly 30 sec to 45 sec, irrespective of tank is full or empty.
Old 5th September 2011, 19:57   #49
Senior - BHPian

Check the fuel lines for a 'rat attack', this could be a possible source of the smell.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 20:00   #50
BHPian

lift the rear seat up, under the carpet you will find the plastic cover where there a few nuts, loosen these & re-tighten them, if this does not work then fuel pump which is located below the rear seat will be the culprit
Old 6th September 2011, 09:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

Does it happen only when driving or even when the car is parked, also does it happen when you fill petrol or also happens otherwise.

All this can possibly point to areas that needs checking. In general with whatever available info i would request to check the fuel lines, fuel tank lid if they have gone bad the smell would come all the time. If the smell is only coming while driving then the fuel pump or fuel lines may be leaking.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 6th September 2011 at 09:38.
Old 6th September 2011, 12:17   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope you have taken the preventive maintainance done at 80K kms (Belts change, Bearings change)

Quote:
Off late I am getting a very strong Petrol Smell inside the Cabin once in a while (Not Always). I always drive with 100% AC, with vent adjusted to outside Air (fresh Air)
In fresh air mode - the vent may be picking up petrol smell from outside along with dust. I keep the vent open only when i park under hot sun with Windows rolled up. if there is a leak - petrol smell will keep on coming all the time.

Small check may help - when you smell petrol - look around to see if there is a petrol pump nearby - "pop the hood" and see if you can smell petrol in the engine bay - check the exhaust - see if you can smell petrol - hold your palm near the exhaust - smell it and check - check condition of Air Filter and O2 sensor. how are the PUC readings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Does it happen when the fuel tank is full and freshly filled? I notice that in my GTX too but only for a few mins say 2~3 and disappears after that..
Jayant, it is normal when you are around / in a petrol pump - roll down the windows and see if the smell remains for such a long period (2-3mins) - ask Venky to check the breather pipe / small hole on the petrol filler cap - check if they are clean - the filler cap can be clean by blowing air - DIY!
Old 6th September 2011, 12:20   #53
BHPian

Like others mentioned, the fuel pump seems to be the culprit. There might be some leak near the fuel pump. You can lift the seat and check it out yourself.
Old 6th September 2011, 12:22   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Gurus,

Rai,

If you have tested everything then please follow these two simple steps:

- Switch off the engine while getting the petrol filled in the car.
- Ask the attendant NOT to fully tight the lid of the petrol tank. Meaning that it should be kept a little loose.

Please follow these two steps and provide your feedback at the earliest.

EDIT: Since the smell remains only for few seconds then you will notice a change with step 1 itself.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 6th September 2011 at 12:25.
Old 6th September 2011, 14:04   #55
BHPian

Raj, get the fuel filter checked. When was the last time you replaced it? Some filters are prone to breakage esp the plastic ones. BTW, do you have gas kit for your car?
Old 6th September 2011, 14:47   #56
BHPian

I also having the same problem in my Palio, it happens only when the Petrol tank is full. It was the rubber packing near Fuel pump (don't know what it calls) which is gone.
Old 29th December 2011, 21:41   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
I also having the same problem in my Palio, it happens only when the Petrol tank is full. It was the rubber packing near Fuel pump (don't know what it calls) which is gone.
I am facing the same problem with my Palio 1.2 after every tank full. The mechanic checked the tank and the fuel lines and ruled out a leak. And diagnosed the problem to a leak in the top portion of the fuel pump - in the base of the fuel gauge that fits on top of the fuel pump.

The mechanic has advised to change the entire fuel pump assembly or not to fuel in more than 20 litres.

Have any Palio owners faced this kind of an issue? Any solution recommended?

Regards,

Tanveer
Old 29th December 2011, 22:07   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkglow View Post
I am facing the same problem with my Palio 1.2 after every tank full. The mechanic checked the tank and the fuel lines and ruled out a leak. And diagnosed the problem to a leak in the top portion of the fuel pump - in the base of the fuel gauge that fits on top of the fuel pump.

The mechanic has advised to change the entire fuel pump assembly or not to fuel in more than 20 litres.
I had similar issue in my ex-car (Indica Xeta) after 4yrs of running, I used to smell fuel in the cabin whenever I topped up. No smell when the tank is half full or less. TASS diagnosed it as a faulty pipe that is attached to the the fuel tank (may be the overflow pipe) and quoted 800 to replace the same. But they didn't have stock of that pipe and later I sold the vehicle.
Old 30th December 2011, 07:47   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkglow View Post

Have any Palio owners faced this kind of an issue? Any solution recommended?

Regards,

Tanveer
Hi Tanveer,

I have rectified the problem myself in my Palio. I bought nonworking fuel pump which is having perfect outer body. I replaced the outer-body of my fuel pump with the nonworking fuel pump body. If you are in Pune I can help you replacing it, it's a hour job.
Old 5th June 2012, 16:17   #60
BHPian

Re: Petrol smell in the car

I have a Accent GLE. The car was serviced few days back (Injector cleaning included). I took a trip to Chandigarh the following day and could smell petrol inside the car after driving for a few hours. The smell vanished after we stopped for sometime for lunch.
On the way back, we could again smell petrol in the cabin after few hours of driving. The smell stops coming after we stop the car for sometime (30 minutes+)
It seems that when the car is hot after running for few hours or in heavy traffic, the smell starts coming.
Not sure where to start checking.

Most Viewed