Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2008, 11:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This is 4 wheel alignment. Most indian cars have 2 wheel alignment
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars View Post
when my friend's OHC went through a suspension bush change (both front and rear), he took it to a wheel alignment centre, and only the front wheels were aligned.

please let me know if this is right practice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I think most of the sedans needs 4 wheel alignment done. If i recall correctly, i got mine done about a couple of months ago and it was done for front and back. I know that small cars like Maruti, Zen, Wagon R etc needs only front 2 wheels to be aligned
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
As far as i know (within my limited knowledge), OHC had independent rear suspension, and 4-wheel alignment should be right practice.
I got my Getz wheel alignment done yesterday (cost Rs 250). I asked the guy to do it for the rear wheels, but I was told that Getz does not need it. He specifically mentioned OHC as one of the cars that needs 4 wheel alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
The best place for alignment in Delhi is the petrol pump right after Ansal Plaza while coming from the South Ex side. There is a small garage at the pump which is reputed to be the best place for alignment.
When I used to stay in Delhi, I used to get it done from the Bridgestone tyre shop on the main road, EOK (thats where Driven is also located right now as well)
Old 18th June 2008, 12:43   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, the last time i got my wheels aligned and balanced at 17K. Now i am at 25K +. Is it time that i got them done again?

I tested my leaving my hand from steering and it "still"goes in a straight line
Old 18th June 2008, 12:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Guys, the last time i got my wheels aligned and balanced at 17K. Now i am at 25K +. Is it time that i got them done again?

I tested my leaving my hand from steering and it "still"goes in a straight line
Check your car manual. Generally, most car and tyre manufacturers advise alignment and balancing at every 5000 kms
Old 18th June 2008, 14:15   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
mobike008 : ... balanced at 17K. Now i am at 25K +. Is it time that i got them done again?
Looks like You havent been doing a rotation either.
Old 18th June 2008, 14:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Avi, it the car is going straight with hands off, I suggest you defer balancing and alignment till you get your wheels rotated.
BTW, how often do you get your wheels rotated?
Old 19th June 2008, 23:01   #36
BHPian

Tire Tech Information - Alignment

If you are an assertive driver who enjoys driving hard through the corners and expressway ramps, a performance alignment is appropriate for your car.
A performance alignment consists of using the vehicle manufacturer's range of alignment specifications to maximize the tires' performance. A performance alignment calls for the manufacturer's maximum negative camber, maximum positive caster, and preferred toe settings. While remaining within the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations, these alignment settings will maximize tire performance.

If you are a competition driver who frequently runs autocross, track or road race events, you'll typically want the maximum negative camber, maximum positive caster and most aggressive toe settings available from the car and permitted by the competition rules. If the rules permit, aftermarket camber plates and caster adjustments are good investments.
cyneverdie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2008, 23:19   #37
BHPian

What Everyone Should Know About Wheel Alignment

Thats nice too , who in Mumbai still has a Hunter alignment & balancing machine anybody?
cheers

Last edited by cyneverdie : 19th June 2008 at 23:22.
Old 2nd May 2012, 00:32   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Re: Understanding wheel alignment.

Guys

While doing wheel alignment on my Gypsy, I noticed the computer screen mentioned that the Front Left Wheel camber was off. Now there is no way to adjust camber on most cars. Or is there? The wheel alignment shop guy said it requires a special kind of camera system to accurately measure camber and a mechanic to fix.

What do I do?

--Rahul
Old 2nd May 2012, 20:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Hi,
Given the fact that it is a Gypsy, I'd say that the axle tube is bent. Check the kingpin bearings also.
But I also have a lot of doubt on the accuracy of the test equipment (or can be lack of expertise of the operators)

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 00:30   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I noticed the computer screen mentioned that the Front Left Wheel camber was off.
Please post the alignment report here. It would help in getting more accurate answers.

AFAIK, in MM vehicles, 1-2 degrees are fine, not sure about Gypsy though.
Old 3rd May 2012, 01:05   #41
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Please post the alignment report here. It would help in getting more accurate answers.

AFAIK, in MM vehicles, 1-2 degrees are fine, not sure about Gypsy though.

After I did the alignment and paid, I asked for printout and the shop had no printer connected to the machines!! Mobile tyre tech in Kammanahalli. Avoid for alignment. I will get this checked at Suraksha again this weekend.

--R
Old 3rd May 2012, 17:11   #42
BHPian

Okay, but what happens during wheel alignment? The alignment equipment finds out whether the wheels are aligned or not, in case its misaligned how does it bring it back in place? I see the laser communication happening, but I don't see the equipment working on the wheels to bring it to normal. Also I've seen non-contact type equipment, which I don't have a clue how it does the alignment. Experts enlighten us here
Old 3rd May 2012, 23:23   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
in case its misaligned how does it bring it back in place?
Most of us cars nowadays comes with rack and pinion steering, and only Toe-in and Toe-out can be corrected.

If there is a mistake, then the length of the rack is adjusted.

Here are some pics. I have marked the areas where they work upon to adjust the length of the rack, to make the wheels point straight.

Understanding wheel alignment-img_1842.jpg

Understanding wheel alignment-img_1678.jpg

Understanding wheel alignment-rack_steering_suspension.jpg

Source: How a Car Steering System Works - 2CarPros
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 09:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Most of us cars nowadays comes with rack and pinion steering, and only Toe-in and Toe-out can be corrected.

If there is a mistake, then the length of the rack is adjusted.
Which means are you saying its not possible to make any caster/camber corrections on the car when they are found out of accepted values??
Old 4th May 2012, 09:37   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
Which means are you saying its not possible to make any caster/camber corrections on the car when they are found out of accepted values??
Well, technically, if the vehicle hasn't been in an accident or has been in some extreme off-road situations, there is no reason why the caster/camber should differ from the OE values.

In that case, what I meant is its not as easy as turning nuts and bolts, and Alignment guys will not do it. You will have to find the reason for the misalignment, and get it corrected from a workshop.

In vehicles which I have seen caster/camber values off the chart are the ones that have been in an accident and replaced/repaired Apron.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed