Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2007, 00:41   #1

Swift LDI issues need some advice (EDIT: Too much of road vibration?!)

Hi Friends
Just got know this great forum some days back .I need advice on Swift LDI, My bro owns white LDI, the problem is it doesn’t feel very smooth on normal road

I have driven this car many times on palm beach marg (nerul navi mumbai) most of time there is little vibration (maybe vibration is wrong word) but that doesn’t feel very smooth or comfortable while driving.

I think it is because of tyres they are so thin, if we change tyres to bigger size would it make it comfortable drive, or is there any suspension problem it fells very stiff suspension, this is new car done only 2100 kms or its normal?

We live in nerul so we use that road commonly I have safari as well when driving on same road thr is no such road vibrations.

Also after some time I noticed the car engine was making more noise like if I try to reach 20 in first gear before reaching 20 cars starts to ask for second gear
like between 15-20 engine making more noise sometimes it feels like its tata car, (I know its diesel engine behavior but I was expecting some more from maruti) is it normal in this car?

Maybe some swift diesel owners can help here.

One more thing I want to ask about cancellation.

Well I was so much impress from this car that after delivery of brothers LDI, I have booked another swift for myself on next day.

I have booked VDI without ABS (because of waiting of ABS, dealer says LDI delivery in 7 days, VDI minimum 5 weeks, VDI ABS he cant confirm any delivery period) so I decided for VDI and gave cheque of 100k in advance.

But now I got to know that Hyundai has launched Getz Crdi many guys here says Getz will be very smooth and spacious from inside.

Yesterday went to saharyu he confirms car is launched but no Display Car or Test Drive car available right now but may be in this week it will be available, he quoted price 6.38L on road navi mumbai .He also confirmed that thr is no ABS in this model .

Now I am very much confused whether stay with Swift or Getz Crdi.

So for just for precaution till I get some results of Getz, is it possible to cancel booking of Swift VDI I have signed some papers and thumb impression on 1 paper I was little excited on that day so didn’t care about paper work will that make any problem in cancellation ?
Old 3rd October 2007, 09:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

welcome to team BHP!

yes, your guess is right! the stock tyres on LDI are thin and that affects the ride quality. You should upgrade the tyres to a wider rubber. that's should considerably improve the ride.

About your booking of VDI, 100K is too much! is that what the dealer asked for? Normally booking amount should be around 20K-50K. Well, you can cancel the booking anytime you want, and dealer has no say in this matter. You should be getting the total amount, plus interest on that, if it surpass 15 days. Do check out Getz CRDi too. It seems to be an exciting hatch. But on road price is killing.
Old 3rd October 2007, 09:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Engine Noise - If you are using Shell Diesel please change it to either HP or IOC. Shell diesel gives lot of engine noise.

Car vibration - You should check air pressure on the tyres and ensure it is 36 PSI in the front and 33 PSI in the rear. Also get the Wheel alignment checked, most vibrations are due to misaligned wheels but in your case this shouldn't be an issue as the car has covered only about 2000 KM but you never know.
Old 3rd October 2007, 10:12   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
yes, your guess is right! the stock tyres on LDI are thin and that affects the ride quality. You should upgrade the tyres to a wider rubber. that's should considerably improve the ride.
ITNerd, Since when did thin tyres affect ride quality? If anything, they would actually improve the ride quality relative to that on wider tyres.

Whatever you have stated is applicable to handling. NOT ride quality.
Old 3rd October 2007, 10:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Trancejam and welcome to the forum!

Regarding cancellation, all you need to do is write a formal letter to the dealership stating that as on date you have not received your allotment and you would like to cancel the booking. State the booking invoice details/cheque etc. "Please refund the amount with interest if any."

There is a thread discussing the Getz CRDI launch, as well as its pro's and con's. Go through this to get a idea as to whether Swift or Getz is suitable for you.

Also, interesting username... make a post in the http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introduce-yourself/ section to let us know more about you.

Last edited by s0uljah : 3rd October 2007 at 10:40. Reason: links!!!!
Old 3rd October 2007, 11:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you check the tyre pressure on the car with cold tyres i.e. when it's not been driven much such as in the early morning time. Lowering the pressure by a psi or two should help with the uncomfortable ride.
Old 3rd October 2007, 11:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Just keep the pressure 2psi under what maruti recommends. The ride would improve considerably. But F.E might decrease slightly. Getz seems to be a better package in terms of space. Otherwise i think they have priced it slightly high when you consider the accessories you get. But he engine should be a killer in the getz. Just need to see if that car can handle so much of power.
Old 3rd October 2007, 17:01   #8

Thank you guys for helping , I did 28 pressure on all tyres but not much difference , a tyre guy is suggesting me to go for 195/70 size to try I am going to test some wide tyre tomorrow
any idea which size I should opt for ?

also about engine noise we are using HP Turbojet diesel but same problem I talked to dealer about this he says all swift is like this only on 1st gear before 20 speed engine gets more load so more noise .

Thank you again s0uljah for detailed process on cancellation once i get TD & FE of Getz I will cancel swift .
Old 3rd October 2007, 17:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancejam View Post
I have driven this car many times on palm beach marg (nerul navi mumbai) most of time there is little vibration (maybe vibration is wrong word) but that doesn’t feel very smooth or comfortable while driving.

I think it is because of tyres they are so thin, if we change tyres to bigger size would it make it comfortable drive, or is there any suspension problem it fells very stiff suspension, this is new car done only 2100 kms or its normal?

check tyre pressure, front 36 and rear 33 is company spec, you can maintain 34 for front and 32 for rear in oe tyres for comfortable ride. yes when you upgrade handling and ride is better in 14 inch, 15 inch might be choppy coz of lower profiles and swift d stiffer front suspension

Also after some time I noticed the car engine was making more noise like if I try to reach 20 in first gear before reaching 20 cars starts to ask for second gear
like between 15-20 engine making more noise sometimes it feels like its tata car, (I know its diesel engine behavior but I was expecting some more from maruti) is it normal in this car?

this is diesel pitter patter will come down as you run in more kms, usually minimizes from 5k onwards. again it minimisez NOT disappear
test drive getz d and then decide, my only concerns without a TD would be, tyres and suspension (soft).

agian dont put 28 psi and all it will affect negatively on ride and handling.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd October 2007 at 17:18. Reason: saw 28 psi now :D
Old 3rd October 2007, 18:17   #10

Thank you Jaggu that info helped me to understand much of my problems well I understand every thing comes with its own pros & cons so bottom line is my car is not faulty , its just all swift comes with hard suspension & engine stretching at 1,2nd gear but on 4th and 5th she just fly lol.

but love looks of swift and FE (19+ with 70% city driving) .

anyway still we are going to change the tyres any size recommendations ? 195/70 ok?
Old 3rd October 2007, 20:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

TJ - For correct upsize advice for the Swift, refer to these threads:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/12174-tyres-wheels-swift-vxi-help.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/5795-tyre-upgrade-swift.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/27777-swift-can-i-upgrade-tyre-stock-rims.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/26252-read-first-choosing-right-set-tyres-your-car.html

They have all the information you need. In case you need any more help, feel free to ask.

Last edited by iraghava : 3rd October 2007 at 20:22.
Old 3rd October 2007, 20:34   #12
BHPian

Crdi vs DDis.... forget Crdi.... stick to DDis.. It is a better engine.

If you are feeling every small holes on the road try reducing the air to 2 psi below the advised mark when you drive in city. Do remember to bring it back to normal when you drive on highways. This should help.
I have felt the difference in ride quality between Vxi and Zxi in normal roads. Even with Zxi i have 2 psi less than prescribed level in city, FE suffers by .5 Kmpl but ride quality is better.

Most Viewed