Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2007, 17:40   #1
BHPian

Battery for Alto LXi 2003 Model

Hi guys,
My Alto LXi is abt 4 yrs old on the stock battery. think its time to change it coz having rare cold start issues (after 3-4 days of "no-use")

Which would be a good battery? i think the stock one is a Standard Furukawa.
How much wud it cost ? and where shud i get it from in Delhi?

P.S: i was out on the road last Friday when it rained like hell in Delhi. My car went thro knee-deep water. I drove in 1st gear and had to revv up in 1st for like 5minutes. it seemed as if the engine wud die (due to the water-level) but it didnt.
I have driven the car twice since Friday; it seeems to b running fine..

Shud i get it checked anyways..?
Old 4th October 2007, 18:09   #2
BHPian

Hello BUXX,

Yes you are right its time to change the battery, go for the OEm specs, not necessarily the OEM brand.

Just note down capacity (in Ah..eg 12V/45Ah written on battery), use same spec & search for a brand which suits your: Pocket, warranty expectation & service.

If the water was below air intake(which obvios was as engine didnt died), there is no need for major check-up. Just get it cleaned with pressurised water, including radiator & a/c heat exchanger fins. And ofcourse underbody to get rid of slush.
Old 5th October 2007, 09:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunforu1 View Post
Hello BUXX,

If the water was below air intake(which obvios was as engine didnt died), there is no need for major check-up.
^^it DID sputter for a moment there..
i revved it and it didnt die tho..

I am getting that pressurised was asap tho.. was thinking of gettin it done but then just got lazy..

Thx for the reply arun!
Old 5th October 2007, 10:27   #4
BHPian

Hello Buxx,

I changed the battery to my Alto just a few weeks back. I got myself a Amaron Hi-life. It costed me 3200 after exchange of my old battery. It comes with 36 months pro-rata warranty.

Anand.S
Old 5th October 2007, 19:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
^^it DID sputter for a moment there..
i revved it and it didnt die tho..

Thx for the reply arun!
Well a momentarily sputter was due to higher back pressure, caused by exhaust pipe immersed in water.More important is not letting engine stall while fording through water & keeping air intake above water level(if possible exhaust too). Engine will experience back pressure if tailpipe is immersed in water, but if you revv it hard, exhaust pressure is powerfull enough to keep water out of system.

So you did right thing by revving it hard.
Old 5th October 2007, 20:46   #6
BHPian

Hi Buxx, I had an odd problem when I bought myself a new battery for my Alto. The placement of the terminals on the battery matters since the new battery had a different terminal placement than the old one. Because of this difference, the negative terminal strap could not be connected ! The switch was finally made by relocating the negative terminal itself, i.e. the spot where it is connected to the frame...

And here I was thinking it was going to be a simple 2 minute job
Old 5th October 2007, 21:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Check out these threads :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ery-brand.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...hat-brand.html
Old 6th October 2007, 00:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
It comes with 36 months pro-rata warranty.
Whats a prorata warranty?
Old 6th October 2007, 17:12   #9
BHPian

Well the warranty is broken up in 2 parts 18+18 months. In the first 18 months if the there is a problem with the battery and its not serviceable then its replaced free of cost. But if the battery goes kaput after 18 months, say at 22nd month then if we buy a new Amaron battery we would be charged only 40% or so of the new battery and this %age increases as the age of the battery increases (at 32 month we may have to pay 80% of the new battery cost). Hope this explains it.

Anand.S
Old 19th October 2007, 13:29   #10
BHPian

battery capacity for zen 2003

hi ,
my car's stock battery(exide) nearing its end.just installed a sub yest and the battery charge was down(orange light in the battery) today! my mechanic said stock battery has capacity of 12v.38amps and the capacity shouldnt be changed . im using 100/90 bulbs,hella fog lamps and now sub setup,can i change to battery with increased amps(38amps++ ) ? increasing the capacity requires a change in alternator . etc ? what will be the ideal battery capacity for my car . plz help guys , require changing the battery soon ..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks