If Optional for How Much More : 25k IIRC
EBD : Yes

Year & Make of Car : 2006 Tata Safari Dicor VX 4x4
Tyres : Bridgestone Duellers (Stock)
Discs : Front
Was ABS std/optional : Standard
If Optional for How Much More : -

Despite what some of our illustrious members who have NEVER experienced ABS may say, I think there is no substitute for ABS & EBD. The worth has been proved to me multiple times already - and believe me, its not about driving fast only, its about being able to get out of situations that happen every day even at slower speeds because of someone in front of you or coming from the opposite direction who is a lousy driver. And believe me, there are hundreds of occasions on TARMAC (not gravel or sand or snow) where ABS come in real handy.
Old 16th October 2007, 18:09   #62
Senior - BHPian

Year & Make of Car : 2007 Honda Civic 1.8S AT
Tyres : Stock
Discs : All four
If Optional for How Much More :
EBD : Yes with Brake Assist
Old 16th October 2007, 18:41   #63
BHPian

Year & Make of Car : Suzuki SX4 - ZXI - 2007
Tyres : 205/60/16 JK (Stock)
Discs : Front
If Optional for How Much More :

Last edited by gopinathann : 16th October 2007 at 18:42.
Old 16th October 2007, 18:52   #64
BHPian

Year & Make of Car : 2007 Hyundai Verna VGT SX
Tyres : 195/60/14
Discs : All four
Was ABS std/optional : Optional
If Optional for How Much More : 20K

I could appreciate ABS when I was cruising on the GQ at around 110 KMph and suddenly saw a Truck wallah pulling into the road from a roadside Dhaba after having his dinner. I braked hard and the car stopped well within the distance I was expecting it to. Maybe, even the Michelin XM1 Energy's helped. It did not disturb anybody. No screeching noises you see! Imagine the noise of metal banging against Metal/concrete, Metal getting crumpled, or Human body parts getting thrown everywhere. This did not happen only due to ABS +EBD. The Moron did not even get to know about his blunder.
Old 13th June 2010, 14:39   #65
BHPian

Year & Make of Car : 2010 Maruti Suzuki SX4 ZXi
Tyres : JK Tubeless tyres
Discs :
Was ABS std/optional : Stansard
If Optional for How Much More : N.A
Old 13th June 2010, 18:10   #66
Senior - BHPian

Used to have a six-pack in my youth; now it's a beer belly!

Hehe, how come this thread has been lying dormant so long?
Old 13th June 2010, 19:10   #67
Senior - BHPian

Whoa, someone woke up a dormant thread

While I am all for ABS, Airbags and all safety devices, NOTHING can replace a good driver. I am wondering if all these safety gadgets will make the next generation dumb - like we have stopped remembering phone numbers because we have them stored in the phonebook of our mobiles!

A good driver has to know what kind of a speed him(her)self and his (or her) car can handle considering the tarmac, traffic, tires, etc., and when braking should not stomp on the brakes on a non-ABS equipped car, or pump it if the car has ABS - this is basic. How many who buy an ABS car even knows how it works and why is it important for safety (apart from what they show in the brochure, that is)? And how many who learnt to drive from the so-called driving schools were taught to pump the brakes, or shift down to use engine braking? Obviously, am not talking about TBHP members here...

I recently went along with someone who just learnt driving, and observed that she was taught to ride the clutch on turnings, for slowing down and what not. She was not even taught to modulate acceleration to speed up or slow down, she just hold the gas pressed or, takes her legs to stomp on the brakes (while clutching!) - and that is from a renowned, decades old driving school here! Considering almost all drivers go through these "driving schools", no wonder we have jack-bottoms everywhere on the road!

EDIT: My rant took me off topic, but wanted to add this- I remember reading an article from the insurance industry that the accident rates in the US for cars with safety features was much higher than ones without safety features. And the recent advertisement that goes "One Life, Why So Serious?" suddenly made it all clear!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 13th June 2010 at 19:14.
Old 13th June 2010, 19:28   #68
BHPian

One should never pump the brake while driving vehicles equipped with ABS. You have to keep the brake pressed till the emergency is over. The onboard computers sense the wheel speed and will start pumping internally much faster than a human can do in case the wheels are going into locking mode. Pumping an ABS equipped vehicle is inviting diasaster as it sends wrong signals to the computer.

On the other hand pumping when done skillfully is a boon for non ABS equipped vehicles. That will help from preventing the locking of wheels and the resultant skidding.

Many drivers don't know these basics. Those who know should try to educate the public even at the cost of repetetion.

Murthy
gavinimurthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2010, 12:21   #69
BHPian

ABS on Indian city driving conditions. Seems like an oxymoron.
Old 14th June 2010, 12:33   #70
Senior - BHPian

Ok, here goes my present car details:

Year & Make of Car : 2009/ Ford Fiesta
Tyres : 175/65 R14
Discs : front
If Optional for How Much More :NA
EBD :YEs
Old 14th June 2010, 12:54   #71
BHPian

Year & Make of Car : Ford Figo 1.4 Titanium
Tyres : 175/65/R14 Goodyear GT3
Discs : Upfront
If Optional for How Much More : NA
Old 14th June 2010, 12:55   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Not at all. The present indian highways allow even a maruti 800 to be driven at 100 kms per hour. However at those speeds in a non ABS car any sudden braking is a sure recipe for disaster.

In a car equipped with ABS the confidence of sure braking and the assurance that wheels won't lock boost up the confidence of the driver. Any one contemplating driving in highways should look for cars with ABS.

If your car doesn't have ABS the safe speed is 60 kmph. If you are not tempted to exceed that limit , perhaps you can live without ABS.

Air bags and ABS are safety feautures. They are like seat belts but come with a premium. Many people manage even without wearing seat belts. It doesn't mean they are unnecessary.

Murthy
Old 14th June 2010, 14:08   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
A good driver has to know what kind of a speed him(her)self and his (or her) car can handle considering the tarmac, traffic, tires, etc., and when braking should not stomp on the brakes on a non-ABS equipped car, or pump it if the car has ABS - this is basic.

EDIT: My rant took me off topic, but wanted to add this- I remember reading an article from the insurance industry that the accident rates in the US for cars with safety features was much higher than ones without safety features. And the recent advertisement that goes "One Life, Why So Serious?" suddenly made it all clear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
One should never pump the brake while driving vehicles equipped with ABS.

On the other hand pumping when done skillfully is a boon for non ABS equipped vehicles. That will help from preventing the locking of wheels and the resultant skidding.
Just wanted to reiterate what I said in my previous post, and wanted to add that though accident rates were higher is cars with safety features, the mortality rate was low (couldn't find that study yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
For 100% peak-hour in-city driving, where the average speeds rarely exceeds 30-40KMPH, maybe yes. But for highway drives, or even in-city off-hours (especially nocturnal drives), safety features could definitely be that difference between injury and death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
Not at all. The present indian highways allow even a maruti 800 to be driven at 100 kms per hour. However at those speeds in a non ABS car any sudden braking is a sure recipe for disaster.

In a car equipped with ABS the confidence of sure braking and the assurance that wheels won't lock boost up the confidence of the driver. Any one contemplating driving in highways should look for cars with ABS.

If your car doesn't have ABS the safe speed is 60 kmph. If you are not tempted to exceed that limit , perhaps you can live without ABS.

Air bags and ABS are safety feautures. They are like seat belts but come with a premium. Many people manage even without wearing seat belts. It doesn't mean they are unnecessary.

Murthy
While I agree with your take on the safety features, I differ on the speeds. Like I said earlier, the key is the driver - a good driver KNOWS what is safe for him and his car considering the various factors that may or may not affect his drive

And I am scared to think what will happen if a driver who is accustomed to driving only cars with ABS will do if he / she had to drive one without ABS - no downshifting, no pumping, just STOMP.... and crash!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 14th June 2010 at 14:09.
Old 14th June 2010, 14:33   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
While I agree with your take on the safety features, I differ on the speeds. Like I said earlier, the key is the driver - a good driver KNOWS what is safe for him and his car considering the various factors that may or may not affect his drive

And I am scared to think what will happen if a driver who is accustomed to driving only cars with ABS will do if he / she had to drive one without ABS - no downshifting, no pumping, just STOMP.... and crash!
I agree. A good driver needs to know the car and it's features thoroughly and should be able to adopt his driving style to the type of car he is driving.
That is one reason why I won't allow any one else to drive my car.

I graduated from Maruti 800 to SX4. I really feel scared now when I take out my 800 occassionally. I drive it much slower than I used to do.

Murthy
Old 14th June 2010, 14:57   #75
BHPian

Year & Make of Car : 2008 Hyundai Santro AT
Tyres : 155/70 R13
Discs : front Disc rear Drum
Was ABS std/optional : Not even optional
If Optional for How Much More : NA
EBD : No

I needed an auto transmission and the max budget was 4.5 lakhs. Only santro was available and i10 came later (was not affordable though). Buying through company lease meant no used car, otherwise could have gone for a used car with AT and ABS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks