Team-BHP - Brake failure in Indica V2 (2001)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Brake failure in Indica V2 (2001) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/29879-brake-failure-indica-v2-2001-a.html)

Yesterday night we had a brake failure in our Indica v2 (2001). Fortunately our driver noticed it in time and brought us home safely (by using the parking brake to slow down the vehicle).

Today morning I noticed oil leakage in one of rear wheels.

I want to know what the problem is? Is it common cause for brake failure?

How much it cost to fix the problem and what I need to check to find out that the problem is fixed properly...

Please let me know..

Mods: I searched for "brake failure". Did not get any useful threads. So I started new thread..

Thanks

KVS

Master cylinder seal is gone. Get it replaced.
Best is to top up brake oil. pump pedal few times and slowly drive to service center

hey this is not a problem with indica, the master cylinder seal may wear out do to heat, dust,etc. always get the break serviced on regular bases, people tend to over look this part till the pads have to be replaced and than too only pads are changed....
the cost for replacing will be some where in the region of rs 400 or more depending on what has to be replaced.
simply check if there are no leaks after the work is done by pressing the brakes before mounting the drums....thats it, and do get Tata parts for this and not some local company ,which dealers tent to supply saying they are OEM suppliers to tata and it cheap cause there is on tata logo on it.

Thanks a lot TSK and Dinar.

Will get this done today..

Hi,

I think you meant wheel cylinder seal. There is a difference between both. Should not cost you more than 100-150 for the seal and another 200-300 for the labour and brake oil.

Viper

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 591233)
Master cylinder seal is gone. Get it replaced.
Best is to top up brake oil. pump pedal few times and slowly drive to service center

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper (Post 591531)
Hi,

I think you meant wheel cylinder seal. There is a difference between both. Should not cost you more than 100-150 for the seal and another 200-300 for the labour and brake oil.

Viper

In the bill its shown as "Master cylinder seal".
The total cost including labor will come close to 800rs.

Hi,

Which bill are you referring to. KVS had oil leakage in the rear wheel which indicates the wheel cylinder to be leaking. the Master Cylinder is fitted in the engine bay.

Viper

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 591599)
In the bill its shown as "Master cylinder seal".
The total cost including labor will come close to 800rs.

Didn't you notice the brake light ? It would have been on when there is less brake oil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper (Post 591623)
Hi,

Which bill are you referring to. KVS had oil leakage in the rear wheel which indicates the wheel cylinder to be leaking. the Master Cylinder is fitted in the engine bay.

Viper

Thats called the "wheel master cylinder" in Tata terminology.
I can't find my bill, maybe I am wrong.
But when I had leakage, I am pretty sure that the rear master cylinder was replaced.
I could be wrong...

Anyways, this job takes 2-3 hours and around 6-700 rs including labor.

Dear All,

Thanks a lot for the responses. It did help me to get to know at least what was wrong and how much I should spend. I was talking to the service guy very confidently as if I knew every thing related to brakes:)

I got the work done from a near by garage. Total cost Rs. 1036.00.

Only left side rear wheel cylinder is gone. But the mechanic insisted that I should change cylinders of both the wheels. The reason he stated is, if one cylinder is new it will put pressure on the old cylender and it will blow in few days. So, it is better to change both the cylinders.

He also changed the brake liners for both the wheels. According to the mechanic you can not buy brake liners for a single wheel.

Rear wheel Cylinders- 380.00
Brake liners - 300.00
Brake Oil (250 ml) - 56.00
Labour charges - 300.00
Total cost - 1036.00

Once again thanks a lot!!

KVS