Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2007, 14:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
Excellent writeup!

This is another reason why we need a temperature gauge in the dash.

Some cars are now giving up provide one for the sake of cost. A overheat-warning light doesn't gradually indicate a problem of overheating.
Modern cars tend to do away with gauges as the ECU takes care of most of the work..

Nevertheless..Almost all modern cars have a fuel gauge and a temperature gauge..Only the oil pressure gauge and the amperage gauges have been discontinued..
Old 2nd November 2007, 14:19   #17

Esteem Radiator issue

Hi

I am in a dillema , this happened to me 2 days back , i replaced my clutch plate at 45 K , got fried up, now another issue has cropped up , my radiator does not hold water in it , when tooped up with water and kept the lid open water spashes out while running idle , my mechanic checked for any leaks but none found , apart from this he says may be engine gasket issue or the solenoid valve which cuts off the fan relay does not work ......could some one tell me what might be the problem
Old 2nd November 2007, 18:08   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

When the headgasket blows or has a leak, at times one will notice irregular cranking of car with the engine refusing to start up smoothly. But the easy give away is the change in exhaust gas colour, mostly it will be whitish or bluish white.
Old 2nd November 2007, 18:16   #19
BHPian

a head gasket lasts for approximately how many K kms ??
Old 2nd November 2007, 18:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Nevertheless..Almost all modern cars have a fuel gauge and a temperature gauge..Only the oil pressure gauge and the amperage gauges have been discontinued..
AFAIK, the NHC doesn't have a temperature guage.
Old 2nd November 2007, 19:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasw_anth View Post
a head gasket lasts for approximately how many K kms ??

Can last the entire service life of the engine, till rebuild is required.
One of the reasons for premature failure is that re-tensioning is not carried out after the running in period.
Old 2nd November 2007, 19:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Easier way to know if your gasket has gone:

Do a cold start on the car with the radiator cap left open let it warm up and if the water gushes out in sudden burts then your gasket is gone for sure. However it is better for a mech to do this test.
Old 5th November 2007, 16:37   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
When the headgasket blows or has a leak, at times one will notice irregular cranking of car with the engine refusing to start up smoothly. But the easy give away is the change in exhaust gas colour, mostly it will be whitish or bluish white.

Hey i was lucky the radiator hose clip was loose and water dripped leaving radiator dery ...but still i am a bit confused ...my engine is getting overheated , the radiator fan starts but it takes time and the radiator water seems a to covered witha little froth , above all when the radiator lid is open the water inside splashes out but not so erractically ....can this conclude to something

one more querry when i know that the fuel injectors should be cleaned
Old 31st March 2010, 11:07   #24
BHPian

Great Writeup Dadu,

Very informative. Recently am facing similar issues on my Palio 1.6 which has run abt 82K kms. Have given it for service. What could be the approximate cost of Head gasket and the labor charges for this work?
Old 22nd September 2013, 20:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to test for a failed Engine Head Gasket

My vehicle is currently at the Mechanics, getting the head gasket replaced

I first noticed this problem on a long drive, the coolant was disappearing, there was no change in the oil, it remained as it was and the level was also constant. The coolant wore off faster when driven at high rpm

Slowly the problem grew and there were now exhaust fumes coming out of my radiator, it was so extreme that capping the radiator reservoir would cause the reservoir to blow out and get on the verge of exploding. I put a bottle cap with a small hole on the reservoir, the exhaust gases were exiting it like a steam engine!

That is when I went to the mechanic and let him check, he diagnosed that it was indeed the head gasket

Now the head is going to be taken apart, sent for machining and the head gasket is going to go on, the cost estimated is 15,000 if there is no replacement of head required. The vehicle is a Tata Safari TCIC
Old 30th September 2014, 16:06   #26
BHPian

Hello all, I needed a quick advice.

My Swift Petrol (2006) needs head gasket replacement. I took the vehicle to the Competent Automobiles. They quoted me Rs.10,000/- as labour charges and 3 days of time.
However the local mech. quoted Rs.1800/- mas labour charges and an entire day of time.

I plan to dispose off this vehicle within next 3-4 months and buy another one.

So is it all right to get the head gasket replaced by local mechanic or will it absolute require the technical expertise and tools of Authorized Maruti Service Center.
Regards.
Old 15th January 2015, 11:16   #27

2011 VW Vento engine head leaking oil!

Hello everyone,

Just getting straight to the point, my 2011 Vento Trendline was due for 2nd service, by September 2014 after running 22000 kms, at VW Palace Cross, Rajajinagar, Bangalore. I delayed it by around 3 months as I felt I had under-driven the car and hence I could 'afford' to drive a few more hundreds to give it for service by January 2015.

Unfortunately and incidentally, just a day before I was about to hand it in for service, the coil light and the engine management light started flashing, after which only the engine management light remained constant. I got heavily concerned and as per the instruction manual, I drove it carefully, under 50 km per hour, to the service center. The service advisor went through the preliminary checks along with a small test drive and ticked off the usual things-to-do in the work sheet. I also informed him about a slightly heavy vibrating noise form the engine bay during cold starts. He informed me that the problem might lie in the wiring harness or a software issue and that he would call to update me.

He called after a couple of hours, saying that the vacuum pump connecting the turbo to the engine was bitten by rats and that it had to be replaced. Now the problems just started at that. He also said that the vibration was from the malfunctioning engine bedding towards the right of the engine and that it had to be changed as well. Also, the brake pads were nearing their lifespan and had to be changed as well.
But he dropped the big one when he said that the engine head was leaking oil, due to a malfunctioning gasket. He also said that it was a minor issue for now and since a replacement would cost up to Rs 10000, he told me that he would just clean it up and that I would have to check for low oil levels every now and then and top up the oil.

These 3 issues along with the major one has got me horrified and downright worried. I have 'under-run' the car, in a manner of speaking, and find it worrisome that it has developed these problems, taking in to account the normal wear and tear.

The questions I would like to ask all of you are:
  • VW is know for bulletproof engines and components. Isn't it their fault to put in such frail components? I have an extended warranty (now in the last year) and I am quite sure that an engine head replacement will come under that. Am I right in claiming it?
  • The engine bedding has been changed and I am being charged Rs 4000-5000 for it. Again, does the bedding get roughed up due to wear and tear or is it again the case of faulty components, thereby requiring replacement under warranty?
  • The issue regarding the vacuum hose is due to the fault of rats and has been replaced with a cost of Rs 3000. Does it come under warranty as well?
  • The brake pads have also been replaced with a cost of Rs 3000. The SA told me that they still could run for another 2-3 thousand kms, but I didn't want to risk lives with under performing brakes, so I can bear the cost and issue about it.
I have been told to pick my car by tomorrow with an estimated cost of Rs 12500 for normal service and an additional Rs 11000 for the repairs. I spoke quite adamantly to the service manager about these issues and that he will have to get it the major works done under warranty. He seemed non-committal about it and asked me to talk to the Service Center Head about it, when I pick up my car.

I sincerely and earnestly request the experts here to address my queries and advise me about the future course of action.

Regards,

Gautam
Old 15th January 2015, 13:38   #28
BANNED

Gautam,

Sorry to hear the issue you are facing currently.

Have the above issued been rectified already or is the car at the ASC waiting for approval from your end whether to carry out the repairs or no?

Is the ASC honoring the warranty or you are bearing the costs of the repairs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamsnn View Post
[*]VW is know for bulletproof engines and components. Isn't it their fault to put in such frail components? I have an extended warranty (now in the last year) and I am quite sure that an engine head replacement will come under that. Am I right in claiming it?
Yes, the faulty part must be acknowledged by VW and replace it for you under warranty.

My only worry is the SA should not say that you delayed the service by 3 months that is against the warranty terms and cancels the warranty you posses.

These guys are notorious so be careful.

Quote:
[*]The engine bedding has been changed and I am being charged Rs 4000-5000 for it. Again, does the bedding get roughed up due to wear and tear or is it again the case of faulty components, thereby requiring replacement under warranty?
Were the engine bedding's changed before this service? (If yes, do post the bill).

1) Why were the bedding's changed last time?

2) Shouldn't it be under warranty?

Do check your warranty booklet as it mentioned what is included and what isn't.

Quote:
[*]The issue regarding the vacuum hose is due to the fault of rats and has been replaced with a cost of Rs 3000. Does it come under warranty as well?
Rat menace isn't a parameter IMO under warranty terms. The cost would be borne by the owner. Do check the booklet to conform once.

Quote:
[*]The brake pads have also been replaced with a cost of Rs 3000.
Did you gave any braking issues or juddering etc?

The SA will say a million things to make money. You need to confirm and be stern when going to the ASC for repairs.

Last edited by a4anurag : 15th January 2015 at 13:41.
Old 15th January 2015, 14:31   #29

Re: 2011 VW Vento engine head leaking oil!

Thank you very much for the reply, a4anurag.

The car is at the ASC and the repairs regarding the vacuum pump, bedding and the brake pads have been carried out. I am being charged for all the three which is around Rs 11000.

Yeah, I am pushing them very earnestly regarding the leaking engine head and the manager said he would get back to me about the coverage. This part does come under the replaceable components under warranty, so I will have to push severely for it.

No, the bedding wasn't changed last time. During cold starts, I used to hear a slight rattle and I pointed it out to them, for which they told it needed replacement. They have changed it and pointed out the loose play in the old bedding. I have to crosscheck with the booklet but I think, engine mounts are replaceable under warranty so I will have take care of that too.

Yeah, I can have some leeway with the rat-bitten vacuum pump, so I have to check again.

Not particularly, but on inclined and declined roads, when my foot is on the brake pedal and I release it gently, I get a jarring, grinding noise. This was told as being normal in such cars, by the SA, during the 1st service.
Old 15th January 2015, 15:39   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

If you do not want to be stripped of all your money, please never trust your SA blindly. For eg. if they want to change the brake pads, let them first take it out and demonstrate that it is indeed worn out of its effective life or at least very close to it.

Regarding the oil leak, please keep an eye on the oil level, checking as frequently as you can. And always before a drive (after the car has been kept parked for at least 2-3 hours). Monitor if there is a drop in the level. Damages due to low oil level are very heavy on pocket. Take a second opinion before opening the engine head.

Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks