Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2007, 16:09   #16
BHPian

Actually no Air conditioning system is 100% air tight. Neither is a car air tight and sealed. Their is no actual harm of rising CO2 in a vehicle if kept in recirculating mode, because the interiors actually do get fresh air from the numerous tiny holes and passages from:- 1. Tiny spaces near the doorhandles. 2.spaces between wiring coming from outside the cabin into the cabin. 3. Airconditioing system, which itself is not air tight. 4. Handbrake and gear leaver mounts. Little recirculation happens without out being aware of it, and is sufficient for balancing CO2 and restoring oxygen levels.
Old 18th October 2007, 17:38   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Split systems do not have any means to take in outside air.

That's not my understanding of split ACs. Split ACs have an indoor unit that you see on wall and outdoor unit is located outside or "split" as the name implies. They do have provision to get in fresh air.
Old 18th October 2007, 17:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by megger View Post
have an indoor unit that you see on wall and outdoor unit is located outside .
...and only 2 pipes connecting them. One pipe (the one smaller in diamater) carries liquid refrigerant to the indoor unit and the other one takes the return gas back to the compressor in the outdoor unit.
No provision for air to be brought from outside to the inside.
Old 19th October 2007, 13:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

But I read last year that some guys in a Santro died due to prolonged CO2 inhalation when they were stuck in the rains/floods at Mumbai last year. If cars were not air-tight, how did they die?
Old 19th October 2007, 14:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Possibly because they were not moving. The velocity of the car 'forces' some outside air in from the 'leakage' points.
You sure those chaps didn't drown?!! I thought it was like their central locking wouldn't let the doors open and they drowned in the rapidly rising water.

Last edited by anupmathur : 19th October 2007 at 14:22.
Old 19th October 2007, 14:27   #21
Team-BHP Support

It was CO poisoning, not CO2 poisoning.
Many people sleeping in closed rooms(closed != airtight) with coal heaters on die due to CO poisoning. Reason? CO more readily combines with Hg in blood, as compared to O2. Therefore blood loses the capacity to take oxygen to brain.
So if you are in a room(not necessarily airtight), with a high CO percentage, you will die.
Old 19th October 2007, 14:28   #22
BHPian

My car is parked in not-so-dusty area. But whenever I put the blower on the fresh air mode, I get a puff of dirty air with twigs,etc.

So, when I start the car and roll down the windows I run blower on full speed at fresh air to get rid of them. I dont know how many of you expeience the same issue.
Old 19th October 2007, 15:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
It was CO poisoning, not CO2 poisoning.
Many people sleeping in closed rooms(closed != airtight) with coal heaters on die due to CO poisoning. Reason? CO more readily combines with Hg in blood, as compared to O2. Therefore blood loses the capacity to take oxygen to brain.
So if you are in a room(not necessarily airtight), with a high CO percentage, you will die.
Yes The forscenic guys traced it to a leaky exhaust that filled the cabin with carbon monoxide. If your vehicle is in sound shape, the possibility of suffocating due to CO is non-existent.
Old 19th October 2007, 20:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibzez View Post
Yes The forscenic guys traced it to a leaky exhaust that filled the cabin with carbon monoxide. If your vehicle is in sound shape, the possibility of suffocating due to CO is non-existent.
From where did exhaust get into the car?
Old 19th October 2007, 22:00   #25
BHPian

Quote:
From where did exhaust get into the car?
It happens when the insulation between the engine bay and the cabin is not good. I have personally experienced it in the Maruti van that is used in our factory. As it happens, the driver in charge of that loading vehicle did not take good care of the machine, and the exhaust fumes used to creep into the cabin from under the seat. I was shocked when I came across it.
Old 20th October 2007, 06:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibzez View Post
It happens when the insulation between the engine bay and the cabin is not good.
Please remember that there are no exhaust gases 'hanging around' in the engine bay. These are being carried in a pipe, which only opens to the atmosphere at the very end. It would need a LOT of neglect to have exhaust gas coming out from anywhere other than the tail pipe!
Old 20th October 2007, 10:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Please remember that there are no exhaust gases 'hanging around' in the engine bay. These are being carried in a pipe, which only opens to the atmosphere at the very end. It would need a LOT of neglect to have exhaust gas coming out from anywhere other than the tail pipe!
The problem lies at the joint coupling where the exhaust pipe meets the engine block. If you go to any workshop and specifically enquire about it, you will get many examples of deteriorated exhaust joints. I have gone through one, and therefore brought it up.
Old 23rd October 2007, 15:57   #28
BHPian

Guys,
Is there any FE drop if we run on fresh air mode continuously?
Old 23rd October 2007, 17:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by battada View Post
Guys,
Yes, because due to lower cooling caused by mixing of warm air from outside, the compressor is continuously on. While in recirculating mode the compressor cuts when a particular cooling temperature is reached. Thus less load on the engine for not having to work the compressor all the time.
Old 23rd October 2007, 17:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by battada View Post
There is bound to be some, since the compressor will not be cutting off as often as on recirc. mode.
Cannot give you any numbers, far too many variables. Best is to try it out for yourself. I, for one, NEVER turn my AC flaps to take in outside air. Too much muck waiting there to come in and clog my car's evaporator!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks