Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2007, 09:06   #31
BHPian

There is a technique used in bike jumps, where if you rev the bike in free air - it pitches upward(font tyres lift up) and if you brake in free air it pitches down(front tyres point down). Now when the bike is landing, the front tyres must hit the ground first(the down ramp is a decline) and hence the biker would lean forward + brake to angle his bike with the decline.

Its possible that this applies to cars as well. I'll do a little research on that and let you know. So after the safari took off the front wheels were obviously pointing up and the driver braked(tapped the brake) to get it to point a little down. At this time the rear wheels still had the drive(or the accel was still being pressed) and hence it was merely slowing down whereas the front wheel stopped immediately due to lack of drive.

Question: How does the differential work exactly(LSD, 4L. 4H etc) I wonder if the moment the front wheel took off, the differential locked the front wheels(as it started slipping) and supplied all power to the rear wheels. When the front wheel landed, it would have again started to give the power to the front wheel. Will any differential mode work in this way?
Old 23rd October 2007, 09:36   #32
BHPian

To prove that this is not a gimmick and there is a technique/explanation to this.

OT: (Watch the guy at the back of the truck.)
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:21   #33
BHPian

@herecules good find. the jeep had its front wheels locked in its short flight. Same about this one. Chekc it out

Maybe its a technique like many of you have pointed out or it is the differential doing its thingy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
To prove that this is not a gimmick and there is a technique/explanation to this.

YouTube - Jeep Jump

OT: YouTube - Jumping using 4x4 in desert -- Doble Salto mortal 4x4 (Watch the guy at the back of the truck.)
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

We will still enjoy the jump with your SX4, provided you are prepared for a chasis replacement as was the case with the adv of earlier petrol safari, mangled and broken chasis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
Wish I had a safari dude.
Old 23rd October 2007, 20:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
@herecules good find. the jeep had its front wheels locked in its short flight. Same about this one. Chekc it out
YouTube - Land Cruiser Flies
Maybe its a technique like many of you have pointed out or it is the differential doing its thingy.

This is why I love this forum so much.

All this time we said so manythings about this, but no one, including me, thought in the direction of "Limited Slip Differential".
Old 25th October 2007, 18:04   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
This is why I love this forum so much.
All this time we said so manythings about this, but no one, including me, thought in the direction of "Limited Slip Differential".

So, was I thinking in the right direction or not?
Old 26th October 2007, 09:05   #37
BHPian

Does anyone have a mp3 version of the soundtrack of this Safari ad? (or even the previous ones?)
Old 26th October 2007, 11:36   #38
Team-BHP Support

Try hunting for the soundtrack of "Requiem for a Dream"
Old 26th October 2007, 12:53   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Does anyone have a mp3 version of the soundtrack of this Safari ad? (or even the previous ones?)
As tsk mentioned, its from the OST of Requiem for a Dream, and is called Lux Aeterna (Eternal Light). Haunting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks