Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2011, 01:28   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Using HID lamps on cars with Halogen bulbs

Wow !! Thanks so much

I enquired with the local Philips dealer in Bangalore and he was mentioning around 8.5 K for a Philips 6000K/35 W HID kit.

But on Amazon,I did find something similar for around 80 USD.

Now for the next set of questions :

1- Are these HID kits universal ones? or is it specific to a type of manufacturer ?

If yes,I can order something online in the US and get in here .

2- On getting the headlights aligned ,my question is " will the HID give me a noticeable difference in night driving over the 100/90 W that I use now ".I am more than happy with the 100/90 W bulbs that I have now?
Old 31st July 2011, 10:46   #152
BHPian

Re: Using HID lamps on cars with Halogen bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Wow !! Thanks so much

I enquired with the local Philips dealer in Bangalore and he was mentioning around 8.5 K for a Philips 6000K/35 W HID kit.

But on Amazon,I did find something similar for around 80 USD.

Now for the next set of questions :

1- Are these HID kits universal ones? or is it specific to a type of manufacturer ?

If yes,I can order something online in the US and get in here .

2- On getting the headlights aligned ,my question is " will the HID give me a noticeable difference in night driving over the 100/90 W that I use now ".I am more than happy with the 100/90 W bulbs that I have now?
(1) HID kits are universal. There are different holder types, like H1, H4, H7 etc. So, if your car has a H1 type Halogen, any HID of H1 type will fit. Just for some background info; most of older generation cars will have H4 as bulb type. Because H4 uses a single bulb for Hi/Lo operations compared to say H7, which is a single bulb. My vista has vertical stacked headlight, with low beam using H7 and Hi beam making using of H1. So be sure of your vehicle bulb type before ordering. Only the bulbs are different rest of the HID kits remains same.

I have installed "P8" brand 6000K in my car, and "Raylux" brand 4200K in my bike. Although I was searching for 4200K for my car (non availability in Nagpur). There are various brands, apart from "Philips", I can vouch for "P8" and "Raylux". If you are ordering online, be sure about warranty, as there are chances of HIDs getting kaput in initial usage.

(2) There will definitely be an improvement over 100/90 Halogen bulbs, as HID lights are much more penetrating. However depending on your usage, a 100/90 might just suffice your needs. But yes, a 35W HID will run much cooler than 100/90 Halogen and also consume less power. I have seen people running 6 HIDs commonly. (2 Fog + 2 low + 2 High). Something which will be light years ahead of Halogen

BTW if you are happy with your current bulbs, any particular reason to move to HID?
rahuldevnath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 09:46   #153

Xenon Lamps for Cedia

I had fitted xenon lamps for my Cedia and it is much better night driving now. The HID lamps are from Osram and there is a 1 yr warranty for this lamp which costed me 9k total.

The interesting aspect I found out during this purchase was the wide variety of options available in terms of price - starting from 6k to 15k, and it takes only 15 to 30 mins to replace the original lamp.

I would like to know if any of you have fitted xenon lamps and any warnings for longevity of the lamps etc.
Old 1st August 2011, 10:47   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Xenon Lamps for Cedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Rangamani View Post
I had fitted xenon lamps for my Cedia and it is much better night driving now. The HID lamps are from Osram and there is a 1 yr warranty for this lamp which costed me 9k total.

The interesting aspect I found out during this purchase was the wide variety of options available in terms of price - starting from 6k to 15k, and it takes only 15 to 30 mins to replace the original lamp.

I would like to know if any of you have fitted xenon lamps and any warnings for longevity of the lamps etc.
How about some pics? It would help others a lot. I have been using HID's with projectors in my Swift for more than 1.5 years. Better throw/visibility and long life. Have to check whether replacement HIDs will be available. Most of the shops sell HIDs as complete kits. There are many online shops offering replacement HIDs though.
Old 1st August 2011, 11:01   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Rangamani View Post

They will last very long. Just make sure not to flash in the day, because the lights will be off and putting the light on and off strains it a lot. In the night your lights will be on anyway so flashing is fine then.
Old 1st August 2011, 11:02   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
How about some pics? It would help others a lot. I have been using HID's with projectors in my Swift for more than 1.5 years. Better throw/visibility and long life. Have to check whether replacement HIDs will be available. Most of the shops sell HIDs as complete kits. There are many online shops offering replacement HIDs though.
A HID kit has a bulb,a Ballast and a wiring harness.
what is the difference between a normal HID kit,and a replacment kit
Old 1st August 2011, 11:09   #157
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Did you get them at GP road? Osram is a good choice.

How is the light beam? My experience with HID without projector headlamps is that there is not much increase of light on the road as the focus is missing (due to different length of the Halogen and the HID), but blinds the oncoming traffic.

HID's will last a long time and depends on how you use them. As Askhay has put it, if you flash them very often, then there is a fair chance that they get burned out.
Old 1st August 2011, 12:26   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
They will last very long. Just make sure not to flash in the day, because the lights will be off and putting the light on and off strains it a lot. In the night your lights will be on anyway so flashing is fine then.
Just hold the dipper for 3 seconds in the day time when ever you need a pass, It works fine. Give it time to warm up thats the only thing. Multiple or sudden flashing might take away little life but that entirely depending on the quality of the kit
Old 1st August 2011, 12:31   #159

I will take some pics and post it shortly. Thanks Navin
Old 1st August 2011, 12:38   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
That would be just the bulb bit.
There's loads of sites offering just the bulb, and so far the best deal.
I met with one dealer who said the whole kit is 7k.
how much for just the bulbs?
5 k.
"So, without bulb just give the ballast and assortments, for 2k?"
no sir, that is 4k.
not going back THERE, at least.
Old 1st August 2011, 12:52   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
It's a replacement bulb and not a kit. The bulb alone should cost around 2.5k. Have seen them in many online sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Did you get them at GP road? Osram is a good choice.

How is the light beam? My experience with HID without projector headlamps is that there is not much increase of light on the road as the focus is missing (due to different length of the Halogen and the HID), but blinds the oncoming traffic.

HID's will last a long time and depends on how you use them. As Askhay has put it, if you flash them very often, then there is a fair chance that they get burned out.
No dude. I got it from Cochin. It's Auto Gauge HID's. I got the entire kit for 7.5k.

I find it very good since I use projectors. I had used different configurations before

1) OEM Swift lights
2) Osram Cool Blue 90/100w
3) Philips 90/100w with projectors
4) Auto Gauge 4300k HIDs with projectors - Now

I find the present configuration to be the best. I do flash the bulbs during day at times to warn the blind overtakes by oncoming cars but so far it's been good. Been using it for more than 1.5 years.
Old 1st August 2011, 12:53   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
That would be just the bulb bit.
There's loads of sites offering just the bulb, and so far the best deal.
I met with one dealer who said the whole kit is 7k.
how much for just the bulbs?
5 k.
"So, without bulb just give the ballast and assortments, for 2k?"
no sir, that is 4k.
not going back THERE, at least.
ahh ok.
Anyways,i found a source,for that.
Recently purchased a 35W 4300K Bulb for 1K,it comes with 1 year warranty.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 17:36   #163

Re: HID Xenon

I had taken the photo of the car with the lights on. But I think the question was to get pics of the bulb. Regardless, the picture is loaded.
Attached Thumbnails
HID Xenon-img2011080100338.jpg  

Old 1st August 2011, 18:23   #164
BHPian

I had previously replaced my H7 kit's bulbs as I wanted 4200k compared to the the default 6000k. after looking for some branded bulbs, I took the plunge and bought a pair of chineese make bulb for 1600 bucks (2 bulbs). 1 year warranty. It has been more than 2 years and they work fine.
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:18   #165
BHPian

Re: HID Xenon

My cousin has a Leuci HID kit for nearly 2 years now.6 months before , the relay started malfunctioning ( Only low beam , No high beam ).
The relay controlling the Hi-Lo control magnet was malfunctioning and unable to use high beam.

Visited some dealers , and all of them said that the entire kit has to be changed and there is no other option , a relay cannot be purchased separately as it is integrated with the wiring harness.

Lost all hopes and as a last option , ordered a wiring harness from eBay Singapore. Installed the wiring harness and everything started working fine . No problems at all after that.

AFAIK If the Hi beam is flashed frequently , the relay gets damaged and not the HID bulbs or the ballast ( personal experience in this case ).

Most Viewed