Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2018, 17:02   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Severe back problems with Honda Accord and Civic post 2008 models

There is little you can do, but I also think that this is a problem with many cars that are low and need you to fall into the seats and climb out of them.

A common reason for the problem is when the small of the back is unsupported in the place where the spine curves away from the seat when seated. Stuffing a small firm pillow that fills in that space often helps.
Sawyer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 17:25   #272
Team-BHP Support

One of the reasons for me ditching my Honda Civic was lower back pain issues. Two reasons -

1) Leather becomes hard with time
2) Low seating position.

Switch to any SUV/MPV/compact SUV with high seating position to solve the back problem.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 17:53   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Sadly the newer Jap cars are low and Hondas are famous for their low slung models. It is easier to ingress or egress from a Corolla Altis but even so I do get a slight back pain whilst driving long distances. Your cars should have lumbar and thigh support adjustments if I am not mistaken. Not sure if the shape of those seats can be changed. It would be easier to place a soft pillow behind your lower back for some comfort.

In my experience the best for ingress/egress would be a MS Wagon R or a Hyundai Santro.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 18:00   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
A common reason for the problem is when the small of the back is unsupported in the place where the spine curves away from the seat when seated. Stuffing a small firm pillow that fills in that space often helps.
I can attest to that. I used to suffer from lower back pain in my Civic, but eventually discovered that stuffing a neck pillow under the back helps reduce the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Switch to any SUV/MPV/compact SUV with high seating position to solve the back problem.
I migrated from the Civic to the Ecosport (which provides excellent lower back support) and now my back pain is gone.
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 18:02   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
It would be easier to place a soft pillow behind your lower back for some comfort.
I have managed a troublesome lower back for about thirty years and based on that experience, I suggest a pillow that isn't soft; it needs to be firm so the spine does not sag into the pillow when it needs to stay curved in its natural shape. It also helps if there is firm support from the seat to the underpart of your thighs where they rest on it. Use the seat height adjustment to change the angle of knee to the pedals so that this is achieved to the maximum extent possible. The lowest position would be the worst.

One thing to avoid at all costs is injections and surgery. And losing weight almost always helps with long term management of the trouble.

Last edited by Sawyer : 28th February 2018 at 18:05.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 18:15   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I have managed a troublesome lower back for about thirty years and based on that experience, I suggest a pillow that isn't soft; it needs to be firm so the spine does not sag into the pillow when it needs to stay curved in its natural shape. It also helps if there is firm support from the seat to the underpart of your thighs where they rest on it.
Agree but that would depend on how good or bad the existing back support is. My car has electrically operated lumbar support which gives me pretty good comfort and putting another firm cushion would make it uncomfortable as it would push the small of the back out too much. All I can say is that start with a soft(er) cushion and try different firmness/support levels till you find one that is most suitable.

Quote:
One thing to avoid at all costs is injections and surgery. And losing weight almost always helps with long term management of the trouble.
Absolutely.

I developed a minor case of sciatica about 1.5 years back and have been taking care of my posture. After a minor physio session I was given exercises which were helpful to begin with but suddenly increased my discomfort. So I just stopped. Any type of pain in the back or spine should always be heeded. As for weight I am quite trim especially for my age..5' 11" and 73-74 Kgs and luckily no tendency to put on weight. Weight loss on the tummy really helps the back. Getting rid of a paunch should be priority #1.

A proper diagnosis of the condition was done with an X-ray followed by a MRI scan. This condition can get serious. I was advised not to lift heavy articles and avoid bikes or rickshaws as far as possible since they impact the back when going over bumps or potholes on the road.

Last edited by R2D2 : 28th February 2018 at 18:17.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 18:19   #277
Team-BHP Support

Get a lumbar roll / half-roll for the car seat.

Do NOT get a huge pillow that "adds support" all across your back.

The aim is to bring your lower back into the right curve (lordosis) by providing additional padding in the lumbar region where the car seat is lacking.

Severe back pain and driving!-harley_designer_super_d_lumbar_roll.jpg

In addition to that, learn the type of movements you should be avoiding (eg. bending over to pick something up, even if it's as light as a pencil).

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th February 2018 at 18:20.
Rehaan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 18:28   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
My car has electrically operated lumbar support which gives me pretty good comfort and putting another firm cushion would make it uncomfortable as it would push the small of the back out too much.
Any car that has this, usually also has a support element that is soft but unyielding in a manner that allows the spine to stay in its natural shape without the back muscles having to work to have it remain so. Adding a pillow over and above this support isn't needed. No such feature on a Civic.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 08:52   #279
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Severe back pain and driving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf18 View Post
but also with the 2012 civic.
Is this with the fabric upholstery? The Civic's regular seats were known to be too soft for comfort (I didn't have a problem with the leather seats in my V variant).

In addition to the suggestions above, you could also try altering the seat compound & support at a good upholstery shop.
Old 5th March 2018, 16:57   #280

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

My accord has electonically operated lumbar support but i have no clue how much to bring it out. plus it caused me discomfort so put it back in.

Will try a half pillow as suggested. Anyone has any feedback on the amaron/car support systems you get at the chemist? they cost around 3-4k but the chemist told me it is great for the car.

GTO sir - the civic is leather upholstery. I have been recommended some refurb, upholstery guys such as Nasir in Palika bhavan, but I'm not sure if changing/sprucing upholsetry is going to do the trick? Is it worth the investment? Should i just get the seat changed?? but for that channel, electronics etc would be a problem?

I really love my accord and dont want to sell it. For now, I have switched back to my SX4 and can already feel the change (for the better).

Sorry for so many questions. I truly appreciate all your inputs and help.

Saakar
Old 7th March 2018, 15:29   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
harjeev dada,

while lumbar support and posture correction takes care of the root cause - there are other systems to take care of your pain as it occurs - like Sujok. Drop me a sms whenever you're over at Gurgaon
Sir I am based in Gurgaon, would love to explore Sujok etc. margdarshan please.

Saakar
Gandalf18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2018, 09:21   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf18 View Post
Sir I am based in Gurgaon, would love to explore Sujok etc. margdarshan please.

Saakar
Nothing much to report to be honest.

I have fallen out of practice since I haven't had that much back pain of late. You should order the instruments online http://sujoktherapy.com/instruments.htm

The books you can borrow from me.

Just PM me to get in touch.

PS: You need a good physio first!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 09:44   #283
Senior - BHPian

Bumping up a relatively old (but very relevant) thread.

What is the feedback on the seats of the new (2017) Honda City for people with back pain issues. I understand that the seating is relatively lower as compared to say, a compact SUV. However, how much of a difference does lower seating actually make in terms of the day to day driving experience. has it aggravated or increased or caused back pain for any of the forum members?

While I have gone through older posts on this thread, I would like a recent perspective on the above issue- with specific reference to Honda City.

Secondly, does the higher seating of compact SUVs (e.g. Ecosport, Nexon etc) make for a better seating comfort for daily usage for people with back pain issues?
Old 24th January 2019, 12:49   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Bumping up a relatively old (but very relevant) thread.

What is the feedback on the seats of the new (2017) Honda City for people with back pain issues. I understand that the seating is relatively lower as compared to say, a compact SUV. However, how much of a difference does lower seating actually make in terms of the day to day driving experience. has it aggravated or increased or caused back pain for any of the forum members?

While I have gone through older posts on this thread, I would like a recent perspective on the above issue- with specific reference to Honda City.

Secondly, does the higher seating of compact SUVs (e.g. Ecosport, Nexon etc) make for a better seating comfort for daily usage for people with back pain issues?

I think the current version of Honda City 2017 shares the seats/contours with the old one (2016) model.
From my experience (mine is Honda City VMT - 2016) the seats are not that great as I feel some pain in back after long stretch say 3 or more hours of continuous driving. The same distance I felt better in Swift. I've tried all combinations like setting different heights, steering position etc. but no difference. What I felt was that Swift gives more support to Lower back than Honda City hence lesser pain. I feel sitting position of Ecosport/next would be better. I've tried Ecosport and found it to be better but have not driven very long distances continuously to give a verdict.
Old 28th January 2019, 13:35   #285
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Adding in my two bit here based on my experience. This is mainly to do with electrical seat adjustment. I had noticed that when I raised the "front part" of the seat (Not the height adjust) I would get a back pain. I then started lowering the front till it was at max lowered position and found that there was no back pain. I feel that when you raise the front of the seat your legs are at an unnatural angle and your posture is sort of tucked in which probably contributes to back pain issues. Hope it helps :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks