Team-BHP - Baleno smokes white during startup
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Baleno smokes white during startup (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/30506-baleno-smokes-white-during-startup.html)

Hi folks

I own 2000 model baleno. Now i see white cloud of smoke in the exhaust during startup. In maruti they said it may be engine oil leakage due to any gasket problem and to identify it they need to open the head of the engine. i was totally disappointed . Is they right or some other problem is there? Please advice me. I'm new to this forum.,thanks in advance

Is it emitting white smoke only during startup?

It could also be excess fuel. Oil smoke is more bluish than whitish. Though it's quite difficult to make out really.

Before they take drastic step of opening up the head, let them first rule out the possibility of excess fuel, or some sort of incomplete combustion. Ignition timing included.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvinod (Post 606927)
Hi folks

I own 2000 model baleno. Now i see white cloud of smoke in the exhaust during startup. In maruti they said it may be engine oil leakage due to any gasket problem and to identify it they need to open the head of the engine. i was totally disappointed . Is they right or some other problem is there? Please advice me. I'm new to this forum.,thanks in advance

White smoke = blown head gasket
Black smoke = rare defect in the ECU (rich mixture)
Blue smoke = worn piston rings

Ram

Basically oil is leaking into combustion chamber overnight and gets burned off when you start.

Pull all the plugs after parking overnight and check which one is oily, now you have identified the culprit cylinder.

After that check the sparkpulg gasket. best case its the problem. worse case its the valve seals

yes, the white smoke is caused by coolant leaking into the cylinder due to a blown gasket. It's quite serious, and should be investigated to find out the underlying cause.

If it's coolant leaking due to blown head gasket, why would it smoke only at start up?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ported_head (Post 607002)
If it's coolant leaking due to blown head gasket, why would it smoke only at start up?

Because at other times you are driving the car and unable to spot the white smoke coming out of your exhaust. Been there done that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram (Post 606956)
White smoke = blown head gasket
Black smoke = rare defect in the ECU (rich mixture)
Blue smoke = worn piston rings

Ram

Does this apply to diesel engines too ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclaren1885 (Post 607132)
Because at other times you are driving the car and unable to spot the white smoke coming out of your exhaust. Been there done that.

No. after driving for some times when i restart the car it never smoke even during hard accelerating (in idle). It smokes only during cold start (after 6 or 7 hours).

I would go with what Mpower has said. I suspect the valve stem seals.

You can also ask the service centre guys to perform a leak down test.

Remember my mechanic telling me once that white smoke during start up could indicate valve damage.

I hope it's not just vapour on a cool morning startup that's getting you worried.

Hope you have overruled the water vapor condensation ?

Can be a blown head gasket otherwise, take it to a competent mech and demonstrate.

Since you say 6-7 hours of parking I would say valve stem seals too.