Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2018, 18:50   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Synthetic Gear Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpunjabi View Post
The owner's manual says 30,000 kms but 5 years and only 24,000kms along with Mumbai's hot and humid weather may have caused some premature wear and tear IMO.
Most MT boxes come with "life time" lube. IMO other than the cost and labour charge there's no harm in changing the oil after 5+ years. City traffic does take a toll on any vehicle's transmission and the oil.

Quote:
Premature wear and tear = when I press the clutch, you know that little free play we get in the shifter between Neutral and 3rd, and Neutral and 4th just before it slots into gear - well, during that free play, I get a squeeky sound as if 2 rusty metal components are grinding against each other. Thankfully, the noise is still very mild and I only heard it because my music was off so wanna get it fixed ASAP.
I haven't heard the squeak but assuming the noise is present even when the clutch is depressed and engine running I think you could get the gear shifter, cables (and links at the GB) checked. Transmissions don't squeak..they make a lot of noise when they aren't happy.

Quote:
Hyundai just says GL-4 to be honest. Unlike engine oils, there were no bifurcations over Synthetic.. and.. umm... Non-Synthetic/Baseline formulation?
If and only IF you are willing to stick your neck out a little take a look at Petronas' Tutela Technyx 75W-85 GL4+ lube. GL4+ means it meets both GL4 and GL5 specs. I ordered it for my Palio 1.6 GTX.
Old 7th August 2018, 19:09   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Will 24000 km not be too early to change the gear oil? What does the owner's manual recommend?
Quote:
The owner's manual says 30,000 kms but 5 years and only 24,000kms along with Mumbai's hot and humid weather may have caused some premature wear and tear IMO.
====================
Yup. Back to HASS
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Most MT boxes come with "life time" lube.
Do not ignore lubes, i had a bad experience going with this life time fill nonsense from dealership and losing the santro AT gearbox. I was forced to sell, rather junk the car at 60k kms due to this! Even manual transmission oil does degrade, especially in our stop and go traffic situation. Just drain the oil and you would be surprised at the state of the oil even in low mileage cars. In fact in manual gearbox there is lot more grinding going on between gear wheels, synchronisers etc. 30k or 5 year if it is recommended, stick to that. I would personally prefer to change it slightly earlier than recommended.
Jaggu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 10:17   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Most MT boxes come with "life time" lube. IMO other than the cost and labour charge there's no harm in changing the oil after 5+ years. City traffic does take a toll on any vehicle's transmission and the oil.
I agree, but I just hate the fact that my local HASS keeps the car for a full day even for a 20 minute job.

Quote:
I haven't heard the squeak but assuming the noise is present even when the clutch is depressed and engine running I think you could get the gear shifter, cables (and links at the GB) checked.
I may do that - like a step 2, if the gear oil doesn't work.

Quote:
they make a lot of noise when they aren't happy.
Sounds like my girlfriend!!

Quote:
If and only IF you are willing to stick your neck out a little take a look at Petronas' Tutela Technyx 75W-85 GL4+ lube. GL4+ means it meets both GL4 and GL5 specs. I ordered it for my Palio 1.6 GTX.
I would rather not risk it. I'll stick to GL-4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Do not ignore lubes, i had a bad experience going with this life time fill nonsense from dealership and losing the santro AT gearbox. I was forced to sell, rather junk the car at 60k kms due to this!
Damn, selling a Santro at 60k kms is painful. I had that baby before I bought the i20. That was 1 solid car. Perfect for Indian roads and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Even manual transmission oil does degrade, especially in our stop and go traffic situation. Just drain the oil and you would be surprised at the state of the oil even in low mileage cars. In fact in manual gearbox there is lot more grinding going on between gear wheels, synchronisers etc. 30k or 5 year if it is recommended, stick to that. I would personally prefer to change it slightly earlier than recommended.
Stop and go traffic, dusty conditions, erratic monsoons and pothole-filled roads - our cars take a lot of abuse. I usually service it every 9-12 months irrespective of the mileage. It wasn't until this problem cropped up that I realized that the gear oil hasn't been touched all these years.

Last edited by sidpunjabi : 8th August 2018 at 10:45.
Old 8th August 2018, 12:07   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Hyundai recommends 75w85 GL-4.
You can try and get this:

Tutela Technyx 75W85 GL-4+ transmission oil

Get two 1 litre bottles and change the gear oil at any competent FNG.
Old 8th August 2018, 13:18   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
You can try and get this:

Tutela Technyx 75W85 GL-4+ transmission oil

Get two 1 litre bottles and change the gear oil at any competent FNG.
I did some more research on such oils after @R2D2's comment regarding this.

Turns out pure GL-4 oils have either 0% sulfur/phosphorous content, or at best up to 50% of the sulfur/phosphorous content vs. pure GL-5 oils.
(This makes sense given the number of posts telling us to avoid GL-5 oils in GL-4 cars.)

Problem is GL-4+ oils do have a mild amount of sulfur / phosphorous content in them & should be avoided in cars which use 0% sulfur/phosphorous GL-4 oils.

Salt on the wound: Hyundai doesn't specify the recommended sulfur/phosphorous content anywhere for any of their cars & these levels differ for each car maker so I don't even know if this is the correct oil for me.

Full article can be found here:
https://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

Last edited by sidpunjabi : 8th August 2018 at 13:29. Reason: Added references
sidpunjabi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 22:36   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I did some more research on such oils after @R2D2's comment regarding this.
Ok, sometime around this time last year I thought I'd treat my to be 9 year old T-Bird, (), Goldie, to some fresh GB oil. Toyota claim life time fill which as Jaggu rightly said one must take with a big pinch of salt.

The manual says I can use either GL4 or GL5 but there were reports of some Toyota trannys not taking too kindly to GL5 & brass/yellow metal synchronizers failing. So began my research (I too had read the PDF you attached) and narrowed it down to the following:

Formulation: Synthetic or semi synthetic
Grade: Preferably GL4 but GL5 would do in a pinch.

This lead me to the following products:

a) Liqui Moly 75W-90 synthetic GL4+
b) Motul 75W-90 Motylgear semi synthetic GL4+
c) Amsoil 75W-90 synthetic GL5
d) Redline 75W-90 MT90 synthetic GL4

Option C was out of stock, option d) was priced exorbitantly as it is imported from the US by Amazon. That left me with a) and b). I chose a) as it is fully synthetic.

I then emailed LM enquiring about the GL4+ oil's compatibility with brass synchronisers and my car's tranny. They responded within 24 hours (fantastic guys those chaps at LM) and assured me the GL4+ formulation was safe to use. So I paid about 1900/litre and bought 2 litres for my car. It's been about 9 months and I have nothing but praise for the LM product.

Quote:
Sounds like my girlfriend!!
That had me LOL!

Quote:
I would rather not risk it. I'll stick to GL-4
As you want to play safe just let the dealer take care of changing the lube. You can always replace it after a few years with a better GL4 oil should you be able to identify one.

Last edited by R2D2 : 8th August 2018 at 22:40. Reason: typo and formatting
Old 9th August 2018, 10:37   #52
BHPian

Quote:
As you want to play safe just let the dealer take care of changing the lube. You can always replace it after a few years with a better GL4 oil should you be able to identify one.
I took my baby to a HASS I recently discovered called Shreem since I read a lot of good reviews and it was comparatively closer to my office than the other 1s.

Took an 8:30 am appointment. Being the 1st car in for the day, I got it back in 30 mins (the paper work actually took more time than the oil change), haha. Best part is that they have a window pane in the customer lounge which overlooks the floor so I could keep an eye on my baby throughout.

Points to note: It turns out that Hyundai manufactures its own Gear oil which it uses in its cars and supplies to HASS.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Hyund.../dp/B00BJMLTQ2

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00607F0NO..._t1_B00BJMLTQ2

Unfortunately, these retail packs aren't available in India. :(
Old 9th August 2018, 10:47   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I took my baby to a HASS I recently discovered called Shreem since I read a lot of good reviews and it was comparatively closer to my office than the other 1s.

Took an 8:30 am appointment. Being the 1st car in for the day, I got it back in 30 mins (the paper work actually took more time than the oil change), haha. Best part is that they have a window pane in the customer lounge which overlooks the floor so I could keep an eye on my baby throughout.

Points to note: It turns out that Hyundai manufactures its own Gear oil which it uses in its cars and supplies to HASS.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Hyund.../dp/B00BJMLTQ2

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00607F0NO..._t1_B00BJMLTQ2

Unfortunately, these retail packs aren't available in India. :(
Although you have changed the oil now, Just thought that i would let you know that i am using Petronas Tutela Technix GL4+ for the past 60 thousand kms in our 2010 i20 CRDI(Changed 2 times. Changing the third time during the next service @ 1.2 Lakh kms). Very very happy with the oil compared to the stock servo crap that the HASS uses. The gear shifts are noticeably better once the car is warmed up. Have not faced any problem what so ever in the past 60K kms of using this transmission oil.

This time i plan to add the liqui moly gear additive to make the gear shifts even smoother.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 11:33   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Although you have changed the oil now, Just thought that i would let you know that i am using Petronas Tutela Technix GL4+ for the past 60 thousand kms in our 2010 i20 CRDI(Changed 2 times. Changing the third time during the next service @ 1.2 Lakh kms).
It's definitely re-assuring to see that Petronas Tutela agrees with i20s - I'll definitely look at it when the need comes again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
This time i plan to add the liqui moly gear additive to make the gear shifts even smoother.
Just a really noob question here: The i20 is quite smooth by itself, and if Petronas Tutela makes it smoother than stock, then won't the additive be an overkill?
I mean, say you're running in 3rd and you hit a red light. After / while coming to a halt, most of us just shift to Neutral so as to avoid clutch wear & tear. Since the clutch is still depressed, what are the chances that the excessive smoothness causes the shifter to jump out of 3rd and into 4th/2nd, instead of it stopping at Neutral?
Old 9th August 2018, 12:21   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's definitely re-assuring to see that Petronas Tutela agrees with i20s - I'll definitely look at it when the need comes again.

Just a really noob question here: The i20 is quite smooth by itself, and if Petronas Tutela makes it smoother than stock, then won't the additive be an overkill?
I mean, say you're running in 3rd and you hit a red light. After / while coming to a halt, most of us just shift to Neutral so as to avoid clutch wear & tear. Since the clutch is still depressed, what are the chances that the excessive smoothness causes the shifter to jump out of 3rd and into 4th/2nd, instead of it stopping at Neutral?

Well, there is some hardness when shifting to 1st and 2nd gear. 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 are butter smooth. I hope the liqui moly additive solves this issue.

About the scenario you mentioned happening, i will get to know only once i use it right. I shall keep you updated! In case i forget, just quote this post to remind me.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 16:31   #56
Senior - BHPian

Is it recommended to buy the Petronas Tutela Technyx 75W85 GL4+ from 99rpm.com?

How fast is the delivery schedule?

I have used locally purchased 75W90 Grade Gear Oil of known brands at Odo Reading- 29545 Kms, 78800 Kms, and 112288 Kms at FNG.

Now when I searched for available brands on google-
I came across
Zic -Ff 75W85 API GL-4

But the product cannot be shipped to my address as per Amazon.in When I clicked on Checkout, it shows me message "Sorry, this product cannot be shipped to your selected address."

Causally I sent enquiry on Indiamart. I was sent the details of many sellers who deal in Gear Oil.

I contacted one of them, Rigel Petrochemical, Kolhapur. Initially he quoted me Rs. 800/- for 4Ltrs of 75W85 GL-4 Gear Oil. When I reconfirmed about the cost since it is uncommon grade, he told the price would be Rs. 1250/- (since it is semi-synthetic)+ transport charges extra.
He sent me the pictures of the Can of 4Ltrs as below on whatsapp-
Synthetic Gear Oil-img20190122wa0003.jpg

Synthetic Gear Oil-img20190122wa0004.jpg

Synthetic Gear Oil-img20190122wa0007.jpg

But this grade could not found on their website sparklubricants.in

Also this pack mentions EP 75W85.
Should I buy this or Petronas? If Petronas, I am skeptical about the post delivery issues (if any arise) which are not taken care of by 99rpm.com.

Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd July 2019 at 23:12. Reason: As requested
Old 22nd January 2019, 17:12   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Is it recommended to buy the Petronas Tutela Technyx 75W85 GL4+ from 99rpm.com? How fast is the delivery schedule?

Should I buy this or Petronas? If Petronas, I am skeptical about the post delivery issues (if any arise) which are not taken care of by 99rpm.com
Buy the Petronas, I bought some spares for my Palio 1.6 GTX including Petronas/Paraflu coolant, Petronas Tutela Technyx 75W-85 GL4+ GB oil and they delivered within a week.

Also, do NOT buy a GL5 specced oil if the manufacturer recommends only GL4.

Last edited by R2D2 : 22nd January 2019 at 17:13.
Old 7th July 2019, 12:42   #58
BHPian

A little helps guys,

I am trying to source elf 75w80, any clue where I would be able to do so? (Amazon shows it as out of stock)

http://www.elf.com/en/consumers/car-...fj-75w-80.html

Anyone tried it for their duster/terrano?
Old 7th July 2019, 17:19   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
A little helps guys,

I am trying to source elf 75w80, any clue where I would be able to do so? (Amazon shows it as out of stock)

Anyone tried it for their duster/terrano?
For what application is this needed. Usually this is gearbox or transmission oil in GL4 grade.

You can either get Motul 75w90 GL4 from Amazon or Petronas 75w85 from 99rpm.com . https://www.99rpm.com/fiat/oils-flui...75w-85-1l.html

75w80 will be very hard to source. Check if your manual gives the option of 75w90 or 75w85.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 12:27   #60
BHPian

Sharing my experience. I have used both Motul and Elf.

The elf experience was better, used in Honda transmission.

Not sure about availability, I managed to get it offline from spare parts market.

Last edited by aerohit : 8th July 2019 at 12:31.
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks