Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2007, 12:39   #1
BHPian

Why long oil change intervals for New Cars?

Hey fellow BHPians, just wanted to pose a query that's been in my mind for sometime now. The service manual for my Esteem 2007 model says that the car needs engine oil/filter changes at intervals of 10K Km. Isn't that a tad long? For my Indica V2 I get the same done at every 5K Km, and the car is still running like a beauty after 1L+ Km. Also the manual specified cleaning the air filter at 10K Km mark and change at 40K, which again I find real long!

So what I wanted to know is, whether I should stick to the service schedule mentioned in the manual or get things done as per the intervals I have in mind?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
Old 30th October 2007, 13:15   #2
BHPian

Basically depends on the roads you generally use, if it is normal day to day routine with city roads then sticking to the manufacture schedule should be no prob. If you use it on dirty roads then definitely the air filter should be cleaned/replaced more often.

For the oil, almost all cars these days have the limit of 10,000 kms.
Old 30th October 2007, 13:28   #3
BHPian

Usually if car is used in harsh condition [too much stop-&-go city traffic etc.] it is advisable to change oil more frequently. There's no harm in changing oil more frequently.
Old 30th October 2007, 13:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Harm in changing oil too frequently is in money spent. Sticking to manufacturer's recommendation is the right thing.
Old 30th October 2007, 14:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think diesel engines have a shorter changing time. For other cars, as rightly pointed out, change interval depends on driving conditions (as you can see on the web and most owner manuals).
Old 30th October 2007, 14:04   #6
BHPian

Re : Why long oil change intervals for New Cars?

I usually change my car's engine oil after every 5K Kms. This is especially good for diesel vehciles. I have an Accent viva crdi.

Your car's engine will be more smooth and also you can be assured that the wear and tear of the engine will be minimised.

Cheers.
Old 30th October 2007, 18:15   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Pretty simple actually. You are comparing the drain interval of a petrol to a diesel. The diesel will always require more frequented oil changes.

That said, its always a good idea to get an oil change after the first 1000 - 1500 kms. Gets rid of all the metal and dirt from running in.
Old 30th October 2007, 18:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Harm in changing oil too frequently is in money spent. Sticking to manufacturer's recommendation is the right thing.
Depends on how you drive the car and how long you intend to keep your car..
Old 30th October 2007, 18:45   #9
BHPian

Newer Engines are built on different emissions and control norms, expecting increased resistance to wear and tear,hence the longer Oil change interval.
Old 30th October 2007, 19:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That said, its always a good idea to get an oil change after the first 1000 - 1500 kms. Gets rid of all the metal and dirt from running in.
But when I asked the ford guys about the same for my ikon, the service engineer gave me a lecture on how much research ford had put into the vehicle and as per them the first oil change is required only at 10k kms. They are not agreeing to change the oil and the oil filter no matter what. I am really confused.

- Jag
Old 30th October 2007, 19:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pretty simple actually. You are comparing the drain interval of a petrol to a diesel. The diesel will always require more frequented oil changes.
No this is not the case always. Swift P needs oil change every 7.5K km while the diesel oil change interval is 10K kms.
Old 30th October 2007, 21:34   #12
BHPian

These are good readings on oil change intervals

Oil Change Interval—Maintenance or Myth?
Oil Change Intervals
Why are oil change intervals getting longer? - Ask.cars.com
Old 30th October 2007, 22:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Oil change interval depends on the conditions under which the car is being driven. For example, the owner's manual of my 1999 Honda Civic states that oil replenishment is required every 3500 miles if the vehicle is driven under severe conditions and every 7000 miles if driven in normal conditions. Severe conditions here refer to driving less than 7 or 8 miles per trip on a regular basis or driving under extreme weather conditions.
Old 31st October 2007, 11:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually this can be debated.
With the new age CNC machining that are used to manufacture todays engines there is absolutely no problem of burr or dirt getting in.

I have personally seen Mahindra and Tata engine block being checked for accuracy (on two different locations) with probably the best gauges the world has to offer. And it is all done in closed dust free environment at controlled temprature.
So to be very very honest I would not worry about burr or dirt in new engines but I would honestly worry more about where I fill in fuel.
Old 31st October 2007, 14:30   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sure can be debated. But I'd rather be on the safe side and get the oil changed anyways. Nothing to lose, but surely something to gain.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks