Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2007, 13:37   #1
BANNED

Servicing Intervals

Guys,

I was going through forum and read multiple threads on servicing some ppl says , car shd get service ( Oil, Oil filter and Air filter ) shd be change at the interval at 5000 km, come ppl says at 7500km and some ppl say at 10000km.

Now I am confused, I own Maruti Zen MPFI version, which interval shd I consider as best suggestion to follow ( Till date I got my car service at 5000km ), experts plz comment

Thanks

Regards,
Jitendra
Old 30th October 2007, 13:44   #2
BHPian

5000 it should be IMHO
Old 30th October 2007, 15:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Have been driving since 1976 and in the process owned quite a few brands of 4 wheels - Mercury Ford, Landmaster, Morris Minor, Amby Mark II, III & IV, Fiat, Maruti 800DX, Gypsy, Maruti 1000, Esteem and the present ones listed in my signature.

All these cars followed the 5000km service schedule and a few of them like the Amby III & IV touched the 1.5L km mark without warranting a piston ring change or overhaul.

The present vehicles also were maintaining the 5K service schedule but now have shifted to 7K eversince I switched to Mobil Delvac MX oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
Guys,

I was going through forum and read multiple threads on servicing some ppl says , car shd get service ( Oil, Oil filter and Air filter ) shd be change at the interval at 5000 km, come ppl says at 7500km and some ppl say at 10000km.

Now I am confused, I own Maruti Zen MPFI version, which interval shd I consider as best suggestion to follow ( Till date I got my car service at 5000km ), experts plz comment

Thanks

Regards,
Jitendra
Old 30th October 2007, 18:25   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
Guys,I was going through forum and read multiple threads on servicing some ppl says , car shd get service ( Oil, Oil filter and Air filter ) shd be change at the interval at 5000 km, come ppl says at 7500km and some ppl say at 10000km. Now I am confused, I own Maruti Zen MPFI version, which interval shd I consider as best suggestion to follow ( Till date I got my car service at 5000km ), experts plz comment
Thanks

Regards,
Jitendra
While the engine is being run in dont follow the service interval given by manufaturer regarding the 1st few oil changes , u can bend the rules a bit.. you can get the oil changed a little more early.
Consider the manufacturer's recomendation for servicing as the ideal point when to service the car, dont worry about 5000,6000,7000 etc etc just blindly consider the recommended point as ideal ..But we can get it serviced before this point depending on :
1] How hard u have pushed ur engine over those KM, if u have been going all out on freeway or climbing ghats full blast its ok to go a little early, eg valve clearance,timing,clutch,belts,oil,coolant,plugs need to get looked at early if u push ur engine harder.Also if u run bad/low quality fuel u are stressing ur engine in similar way even if u are driving sedately.
2] How dusty were the road conditions, u may need to clean ur filter,TB early, Fuel quality also decides when u want to get ur FI system cleaned, or sensors looked at or plugs etc etc...
3] How bad the road conditions were in case u wanted to get ur suspension looked at or get some bolts torqued..

But never ever delay beyond what the manufacturer recommended becoz those guys play it safe and set pretty reasonable service intervals.
You can go early but never late..if u want to be on the safe side.

Most Viewed