Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2007, 01:09   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
As per Maruti you should change the gears as given below for the best mileage. This will have to be adjusted a little after switching on the A/C.

1st to 2nd @ 10 kms/hr
2nd to 3rd @ 20 -25 kms/hr
3rd to 4th @ 30 - 35 kms/hr
4th to 5th @ 40 - 45 kms/hr
You got to be kidding ... anyone who drives a swift keeping these shift points in mind should be shot -- why buy a swift if one wants to drive like that ??? On a serious note , is it really possible to drive at those speeds in those gears ..... I manage getting an average of 17 on the highways even when redlining it all the way from Delhi to Simla which is a distance of 350 kms ( approx ) out of which 90 kms is uphill .

I better try and drive at these above speeds and see if my car can give me 20 km/ltr .
Old 15th November 2007, 02:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1ISTHE1 View Post
Hey
Just wanna know what is the ideal rpm for shifting and at what rpm does the car gets in the overdrive mode in 5th gear.

Gears are simply a connecting device between the engine and the wheels. The 5th gear in a 5-gear transmission is designed such that the wheels turn faster than the the engine rpm, no matter what rpm the engine is running at. This is why it's called overdrive - where the engine rpm is lower than the wheel rpm.

In short, there is no particular rpm after which the car gets in overdrive mode. It's in overdrive as soon as you shift to 5th. Ideal rpm to shift into 5th would be one at which you needn't floor the pedal for acceleration nor should you unnecessarily prolong the shift.
Old 15th November 2007, 07:22   #18
BHPian

While on the acceleration, I switch to 5th Gear after 60 kmph and while cruising, I allow the vehicle to cruise in 5th gear until it it drops down to 45 kmph.
Old 15th November 2007, 15:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
This info that is displayed at all MASS applies to 800/Alto and not to Swift/SX4. Shifting to 5th gear at 45 KM/h even for the sake of FE is not a wise, practical idea.
These figures apply to a WagonR too. Only point to note is these figures apply when not using AC. With AC, you need to add 10kmph more for the upshift--eg. Instead of shifting to 5th at 40, do it at 50.

These are only intended for getting max mileage, but if you wanna rev up, then put these figures as a backburner.
Old 15th November 2007, 17:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Ditto here, would mostly shift into 5th by around 60ish... that would give you comfort cruising, but if i wanna reach 100, i would down shift it to 4th power it up to 100 and then go in for 5th. would never accelerate/overtake while in 5th.
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I dont know how you mange this in the swift?Tried driving the swift in 5th gear at 50kmph and there was a traffic pile up behind as even if the vehicle ahead accelerated a little and i jabbed teh accelerator there was no response at all and i had to downshift 2 gears into 3rd.
Exactly. Whenever I need to overtake or speed up, I downshift into third. Most of the time, I shift directly from the 3rd gear to 5th gear, since I would have attained speeds close to 60-70 kmph in 3rd gear itself. In my day to day driving, I shift like:

1st to 2nd @ 20 kmph
2nd to 3rd @ 40-50 kmph
3rd to 5th @ 60-70 kmph (skipping 4th gear most of the time).

I doubt if anyone shifts gears based on the figures provided by the manufacturer. You know when your car is not having sufficient grunt to perform what you want it to do, and then downshift, upshift accordingly. Some people would like to revv high in each gear; each one generally evolves their own style.

Last edited by pjbiju : 3rd December 2007 at 14:14.
Old 16th March 2015, 08:49   #22
BHPian

Re: Swift Petrol - Overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1ISTHE1 View Post
Hey
I have been shifting gears @2800-3200 rpm in my Swift (VXI). Just wanna know what is the ideal rpm for shifting and at what rpm does the car gets in the overdrive mode in 5th gear. Currently i had to go to delhi and my left bearing was damaged so i managed to keep myself to go beyond 100kmph and that too in 5th gear whereas i usually engage the 5th afetr 110kmph.
Usually i get an average of say 12-14kmpl but that day I had 15kmpl. I did not cross the 100kmph mark coz of the bearing humming sound.
Can anyone plz shed some light on what is the optimum rpm for shifting gears in a Swift petrol.
Hi D1ISTHE1,

Below is my order of shifting gears on my swift vxi.

1st to 2nd gear - at 20 kmph
2nd to 3rd gear - at 40 kmph
3rd to 4th gear - at 60 kmph
4th to 5th gear - at 80 kmph

My car has run 5300 kms and it is 10 months old. I am getting an average mileage of 19.6 kmpl. I also ensure to be light on the accelerator pedal while driving.

Warm regards,

Sajeesh
Old 17th March 2015, 07:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift Petrol - Overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJEESH View Post
My car has run 5300 kms and it is 10 months old. I am getting an average mileage of 19.6 kmpl. I also ensure to be light on the accelerator pedal while driving.
Wow. You've just bumped up a 7+ year old thread!

While we are on the topic, here are my numbers. I'm probably belonging to the category that some members have mentioned should be shot

1st - 2nd: 10-15 km/h
2nd - 3rd: 25-30 km/h
3rd - 4th: 40-45 km/h
4th - 5th: 55-60 km/h

Disclaimer: Scenario that needs overtaking would mean a different range. This is just for the sedate driving while following the train of traffic or cruising on relatively low traffic stretches.

If the fuel efficiency indicated in this thread is really achievable after a few years and over 60k km on the ODO, then I'm getting the same efficiency of around 10-12 with AC in city conditions with the above "efficient" pattern, though I must add that I'm running on ZXi spec tyres and the original clutch that is probably not 100% efficient now.

Those who are doing these spirited shifting patterns on non-ABS Swift (especially post 2011 models) with the 165-spec tyres please be conscious about your braking ability while pushing hard. Recent Swifts, especially lower trims are not the best in terms of braking efficiency.

Last edited by zenren : 17th March 2015 at 07:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks