Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2007, 18:32   #1
BHPian

Is it normal for a car to lean on one side?

My somewhat new Estilo (4000+km in 3.5 months) leans towards the drivers side - if you look at it from behind, there's just a slight inclination. In other words, the space between the top of the wheel and the wheel well is slightly larger (by 1 inch or so) in the rear left wheel than the right wheel.

It sort of makes sense because 99% of the time I drive alone, so there is more weight towards the right.

I just want to double check here whether this is normal or not. (I have noticed it to a lesser extent in my 5 year old Accent as well - though that car is primarily driven with 2 or 3 people inside.)
Old 2nd November 2007, 18:40   #2
BHPian

No, it is certainly NOT normal for a vehicle to lean....unless it is with a VERY heavy driver. Get a second opinion. What about the handling? Is it pulling to one side?
Old 2nd November 2007, 18:53   #3
BHPian

No, not at all - handling etc. is all fine. And I'm not very heavy.

The thing is that the leaning is very minor (as I said - one inch or less) - the problem is only aesthetic, and most people probably wouldn't even notice it. I just have OCD tendencies :P
Old 2nd November 2007, 18:59   #4
BHPian

I suppose you could visually check the suspension struts (fwd & back). See if any on the lower side is abnormal (as in less length) compared to the other side. No other reason comes to mind.
Old 2nd November 2007, 19:05   #5
BHPian

Hi VebMetal, an inch of difference is a lot ! However, if the difference in height is due to the constant weight of the driver, which I doubt it is, wouldn't the front of your car have a more pronounced lean than the rear ?

The springs are designed to support three quarters of a ton of car, & one would think that your car spends most of it's time on it's own, compared to with you in it
Old 2nd November 2007, 19:41   #6
BHPian

I would suggest that you get this looked into on your next service. Even if it is just for peace of mind.
Old 2nd November 2007, 20:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

i think you should get it checked. coz both me and dad are only ones who drive/use our car and never noticed any leaning in any car so far
Old 2nd November 2007, 20:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

1 inch leaning when observed from outside without any load and in level ground is no no!!

check and take it to a competent A.S.S if required
Old 2nd November 2007, 20:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Dude in that case i have a friend who is like 130 kgs and i m 63 kgs and he is always next to me on all the drives.My car should look like the highway pe chalne wala ST buses jaisa.
It will not lean like that anytime until one of the struts is weaker than the other.
Old 2nd November 2007, 22:02   #10
BHPian

Hi Vebmetal!
Simply get the front RHS strut damper ( shocker ) replaced, otherwise the wheel bearing will get affected in the longer run.
Visit any MASS, they will replace it. Be sure to get the same brand as the one on the LHS.
MGA options are MUNJAL SHAWA or DELPHI. If u want to get it replaced from market, GABRIEL would be a better option.
Old 2nd November 2007, 22:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
My somewhat new Estilo (4000+km in 3.5 months) leans towards the drivers side - if you look at it from behind, there's just a slight inclination. In other words, the space between the top of the wheel and the wheel well is slightly larger (by 1 inch or so) in the rear left wheel than the right wheel.

It sort of makes sense because 99% of the time I drive alone, so there is more weight towards the right.

I just want to double check here whether this is normal or not. (I have noticed it to a lesser extent in my 5 year old Accent as well - though that car is primarily driven with 2 or 3 people inside.)
Well where have you checked, please check while the car is parked on a levelled ground.Use a foot ruler to check distance between,mudguard & tyre shoulder on both LH & RH sides.

Take readings, compare, it should not be more than few milimeters of difference.

Note: before taking measurement, get the tire pressure checked & corrected. It is pretty unusual for a car to lean on one side.Once again checking should be done on a levelled ground.
Old 2nd November 2007, 22:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post

Check if the same problem is found in other cars, or SUVs
Old 3rd November 2007, 19:30   #13
BHPian

This is not normal vebmetal! I think your car is having premature wearout of the shock absorber or the other 3 shock absorbers havent got run-in yet (but its impossible for this, since the suspension holds few tonnes alone).

Have it checked up at the service.

cya
A
Old 4th November 2007, 02:38   #14
BHPian

Have your tyre pressures checked asell before that
Old 4th November 2007, 17:44   #15
BHPian

Thank you all for your replies! I took an inch-tape to measure the difference, and turns out that there was no difference. So I think instead of checking tyre pressures, shock absorbers, suspension, taking the car to a service station etc. my solution lies in getting a eye test.
vebmetal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks