Team-BHP - Analysis of my car's honking sound
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Analysis of my car's honking sound (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/30872-analysis-my-cars-honking-sound.html)

Hi friends

Just want to share my experience with you guys.
I am having a 2000 Model M800 5 gear MPFI. At times I have observed that when I honk; the sound that the horn/honk makes is a reflection of the state of my car on that day eg

1) If it is consistent in volume and in the same tone even if pressed for more then 4-5 seconds - on that day I observe the car is very peppy to drive and I dont feel I need to really push while driving

2) If the honk is not consistent eg if i press it for 4-5 secs and the sound breaks/changes its tone -> on that day I feel as if i am forcing my car to run and its not in a mood for a ride :). I feel I have to push it around all the time

I dont know if there is any issue here as i have observed this over the past 10-15 months but just thought to share this to have your opinion on the same

-svaid
@Mods if this is not the right section for this thread please move it accordingly

Petrol-heads always knew that cars had a mind of their own. Well, this thread proves it then!

Haha! True. In my Ford Ikon, the OEM horn has a life of its own. Sometimes its like paarrrp sound meaning the car feels monstrous, sometimes a melody sound, meaning soft state.

Nice explanation svaid!

cya
A

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absar (Post 615839)
Sometimes its like paarrrp sound

Is this sound accompanied by a mild to moderately foul odour?!
If so, the medical term for it would be 'flatulence'. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by svaid (Post 615748)
@Mods if this is not the right section for this thread please move it accordingly

I wonder what the 'right section' for this would be. Do we have a car shrink on board?

You know off hand I'd ask you to check for 2 things.

1) Check your battery terminals. Open them up get them cleaned and re fit back on. Better, change them.
2) Check the cable that connects the negative terminal of your battery to the chassis of your cars. Check for bad contact and/or corrosion.

It is either a weak battery / loose terminal or alternator needs to be looked at. Has to be one of the two or ofcourse the horn has lived it's life & needs to be changed. :) Unless the car is a cousin of "THE HERBIE":D

Cheers & Happy honking !!!!!!

The battery of my car is about 1.5 years old and the alternator got replaced last september( I think its Lucos ). Even if this is an average alternator; I would imagine it would atleast have 2+ years of life. There is even a story associated with it but this is not the place to discuss that.

Yes - one interesting thing is that when my alternator had gone faulty ; a couple of months prior to that I noticed that the horn will not work at all at times. Actually I live in a society and have a fixed parking slot and in case you come back to home and find that someone else has parked at your place; the ritual is to keep honking until the culprit/chowkidaar comes to dissolve the situation . There I was let down a few times when I found the horn didnt respond at all after working for 2-3 secs. Of course at that point; I wasnt educated enough to understand that it could be a possible message from my car to me to think about the root cause:Frustrati

But yes - I would get the terminal connectivity/corrosion related thing checked in case that could be some relation there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky_63 (Post 615916)
Unless the car is a cousin of "THE HERBIE":D

Hmmmmmmmm I am still not educated enough to understand the humour here ......withstupid

You might also want to rig up a temporary ammeter and voltmeter and note the readings from day to day (and see what the difference on the days where your horn tells you that things are not okay).

Quote:

Originally Posted by svaid (Post 616007)
Hmmmmmmmm I am still not educated enough to understand the humour here ......withstupid

Herbie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cya
R

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 616310)
You might also want to rig up a temporary ammeter and voltmeter

How many of you out there have ammeters and voltmeters lying around and how many know how to connect each of these thingys? :)

lol my indigo honks like as if its calling me "kamine"......lol sorry for the crap... but that a true feeling...

hey!!! this is one interesting thread or rather a perspective with a sound!!!

viper, you listening? stop buying an engine for your VTEC, just buy a horn that can make it feel quicker.

atleast i'm looking at this direction with such a shallow wallet.