Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2007, 16:25   #31
BHPian

i believe its speed / gravity factor which governs this feel. and if suspension is independent then better compared to rigid axle

at 15kmph = 4mtr/s
at 80kmph = 22mtr/s

although sudden braking on such drive can cause suspension issues.
Old 7th November 2007, 17:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

There is no need to deliberate so much on this subject.

Buy Tata Safari, forget bad roads. Accelerate over bad roads when others slow down.
Old 7th November 2007, 17:19   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
There is no need to deliberate so much on this subject.

Buy Tata Safari, forget bad roads. Accelerate over bad roads when others slow down.
hope its a good commission that Tata offers u
Old 7th November 2007, 17:20   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
hope its a good commission that Tata offers u
I hope its substantial enough when I get it. They dont pay as well as the others, I believe.
Old 7th November 2007, 20:20   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
On the contrary its the other way around, soft suspension will ground with loud thuds when pushed hard on broken tarmac, stiff set up just glides over as speeds increase.

Try driving the iKON hard and then watch the fun, am sure you will get addicted and come back with a with all the antics the car can do, but be safe.
I've drove the Ikon twice accidentally that too, fast. It was an horrible experience. Around 70 km/h I think. Tyre pressures were 27. But still it felt SO stiff and the car rocked and bounced like there was no springs at all and the suspension was making so much sounds. Oh god! And I don't know how I'd be with these antics.

Believe me, in the Verna again I did it on purpose, but at 100 km/h on purpose to check the suspension response and i was so impressed. The cabin wasn't affected at all. Very little shakes and it glided more smoothly than the Ikon.

cya
A
Old 7th November 2007, 20:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Factors.

I think there are going to be varible factors involved in the answer to this.

Such things as wheelbase, weight of vehicle, diameter of tire and width, type of tire, design of suspension, speed of vehicle will all play a role in the harmonic resonances of the suspension.

But what is this talk of bad roads? I think this may be a rumor started by reactionary elephant owners wishing to return to the "Good old days". There are no bad roads in India.
Old 7th November 2007, 23:21   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
There are no bad roads in India.
You're right.
Though the government couldn't give us the moon, they managed to give us the moon's surface.

-- Torqy
Old 8th November 2007, 00:24   #38
NSF

Had gone to coaimbatore last week with my friends alto.There is hardly any road from Palagat to coaimbatore.most of the time we were on 1st and 2nd still ended up with both the fwd rims bend.God knows what must happened to the supension.

Cheers
Old 21st November 2007, 16:09   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I am used to driving around 1000 kms per day as it happens to be a part of what I do at work. Let me share only one case study (there are so many).
Wow !! Did I read it right 1000 km per day ??????????
Old 21st November 2007, 16:22   #40
Senior - BHPian

Lets hear from some 45 or 40 profile tyre users
Old 21st November 2007, 17:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

Well i wanted this to come up. I got a bolero and when i drive slow over major cracks or craters if you call it the whole body swaysbut if you take it at a fair speed it takes it with a breeze. Also driving over small potholes i jus downshift and go for it at 50kms.
Love seeing the small people take it with their first gear
Old 21st November 2007, 18:15   #42
Senior - BHPian

I was overtaken by a brand new WagonR on the Warangal highway a month back. So I chased him and hard to push to 120 to overtake him. I was wondering how anyone could push his brand new car that hard.
But when I slowed down on a rough patch, that guy overtook me at about 40 kmph and did not even slow down, while I was doing 20!!
I could conclude that he was definitely not the owner. A Laura guy in front of me was going equally slow, so he was certainly an owner like me
Old 22nd November 2007, 17:37   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Well i wanted this to come up. I got a bolero and when i drive slow over major cracks or craters if you call it the whole body swaysbut if you take it at a fair speed it takes it with a breeze. Also driving over small potholes i jus downshift and go for it at 50kms.
Love seeing the small people take it with their first gear
I still don't feel confident enough to take potholes at speed in my Bolero.
Considering the "roads" i take everyday, first gear might be the most used gear!!!!!

Last edited by Torqy : 22nd November 2007 at 17:37. Reason: Typo
Old 22nd November 2007, 18:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

Torqy vbmenu_register("postmenu_634943", true);
Well guess you drive in bangalore but the roads we take to town out here in coorg is horrible. Can you imagine 20kms stretch with more than half of it covered with Craters and not potholes. There is no option out here but do something like this. But usually its not the bolw=ero but the Jeep so it takes the roads pretty well. The jeep doesnt feel bad
Old 20th February 2010, 10:34   #45
Senior - BHPian

Reviving this interesting thread.

I did a Madikeri trip in my Scorpio last month over the cratered roads of Kushalnagar.

On the onward journey, I was slow (20-30 kmph). But on the return journey I was much quicker on the same bad stretch (40 - 50 kmph).

No complaints from my family on the return trip, however the onward journey felt like hell!

Some of the Team Bhp members on this thread who have been practicing option 2 (driving fast on the bad stretches for better ride comfort) may please share the present condition of their vehicle's suspension, and how it has fared over the past 3 years .

This would help guys like me who came in late!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks