Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2007, 15:32   #1

Palio ELX 1.2 - Need your help

Hello,

I am a newbie to the forum and also happens to owns a pre-owned Palio ELX 1.2.

Initially my palio 1.2 Elx did not start. The fuel injector icon used to glow continuously. On cranking the car further, the fuel injector icon would come on and then go off (behaves normally) but the car would not start.
It has clocked 59000 odd KMs.

One of the local mechs I called to have a look at my car said the coil needs to be changed, but later told me the problem lies elsewhere ie The mechanic found some of the wires gnawed by rats, which he taped up and then replaced a relay (that is what he told me), still the fuel injector icon was glowing after the car was cranked and running.

I then took the car to Balaji Motors and they told me initially that it was a problem with the wires but later on they have told me it is a problem with one of the sensors, which needs to be replaced.

The car is running fine but the injector icon lights up intermittently (when driven over potholed stretch of roads).

I again took it to a local mechanic to check up the car,

He checked the following;

1) for problem with the couplers
2) ECM
3) electrical wiring
4) fuel injectors

still the red light was not going off, then i asked him whether he can test an ECM of another car and see.

He tested the ECM of another car(Siena 1.2)and told me its the problem with the ECM, and the ECM should be changed.

On further tests with the ECM he found the ECM to be OK.

The problem was isolated and found to be in the electrical wiring near the front fender. The concerned wire was patched and the red injector light went OFF, what a relief, but the moment of joy was temporary.

Yesterday I had taken the car to Dadar(Mumbai), while going there was absolutely no problem, I even touched 100 KmpH. While coming back I got bumper to bumper traffic (yes i was on half clutch in the bumper to bumper traffic.), AC was on, and I was getting a grating kind of a sound with in the car, I also noticed the temperature guage was steadily rising past the halfway mark, I stopped the car when the temperature needle came very near to the redline H mark on the guage.

On stopping I noticed the car had really heated up and vapour was coming out of the bonnet. I let the car cool down for an hour or so and when the temperature guage was below the half way mark, I took the car back to the mechanic.

He inspected the vehicle and did the following changes as mentioned below;

Coolant- Changed
Thermostat- Removed the valve and gave direct connection for the coolant circulation within the engine block.
Fan Assembly- Says the same has to be changed.

Queries:

1)Could the fan assembly be damaged due to the electrical wiring, which he was trying to fix initially?
2)Does removing the thermostat effect the performance of the car in any way? Kindly explain.
3)Can the fan assembly be repaired or do I need to go in for a new one?

I am a newbie with no experience with automobiles, this is my first car.

P.S: Also the mechanic has told me that the engine would not overheat because the thermostat has been removed and the coolant is allowed to circulate freely, I have notice hot air coming from underneath the car which was not the case earlier. Kindly help.

Thanks in advance.

KKM
Old 16th November 2007, 06:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

1.I dont think that the fan assembly could have been damaged as it has a relay and a fuse to protect it but if someone has messed with the wires after coming through the fuse box then there is a possibility.

2.Yes removing the thermostat does effects the performance of the car. The reason for that is the optimum temp an engine needs to perform at its best. If its cooling it to much then you would not get the best performance and your Km/L will also decrease.

3.I dont know if there are any good electrician who can reapir in your city but I would recomend a new one if its damaged.

The hot air coming from the car could be due to your radiator fan switched on at all times.

I would seriously suggest you to take your car to any descent mechanic and not the one who says its ok to run the car without a thermostat. He is talking S**t.
Old 20th November 2007, 10:02   #3

Prob Solved

I took back the car to the mech who had serviced the car for the 1st time, after buying the car. He checked the car and found the fan motor to have burnt off, got it replaced. I would be putting back the solenoid valve back during the next service.

Thanks,

KKM
Old 22nd November 2007, 05:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

good to hear that kkumarm, do keep posting regular updates since these kind of threads are helpful to other palio users as well
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is what i know.

If you remove the thermostat, the fan would be running always. THe thermostatn controls the running of the fan by switching it on and off based on engine temperature. By running the fan contineously, you could end up with a burnt fan again. Still not sure why the mechanic did that.

The injector lights come on when the ECU registers any malfunction. You will have to read the error using the computer at the A.S.S. I suggest you take to car to an Authorised Service centre the next time you get the injectpr lights on. One the error is read they will delete the error from the memory and rectify whatever was wrong.

And why have you removed your selenoid valve!!!
Old 22nd November 2007, 16:23   #6

Balaji Motors-Thane-Earlier Visit(b4 prob was solved)

I had taken my car Balaji Motors-Thane, I can tell you they are the pits. I had specifically told the advisor at Balaji about the red injector icon glowing intermittently, instead of addressing the mentioned problem he asked me to get 2-3 different things done on the car. Not only that when i went to collect the car the next day the original problem was still there and then he started singing a different tune(replacing some sensor). That is when i decided to take it to a local mech(who rectified the prob, but blew the fan and removed the solonoid valve) after these above experiences i think i should stick with the original mech who worked on my car for the 1st time.

Is there any really good service centers available in mumbai-thane or else i guess i should take an appoinment with Turbosam to have a look at my car.
Old 22nd November 2007, 19:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkumarm View Post
I had taken my car Balaji Motors-Thane, I can tell you they are the pits. I had specifically told the advisor at Balaji about the red injector icon glowing intermittently, instead of addressing the mentioned problem he asked me to get 2-3 different things done on the car. Not only that when i went to collect the car the next day the original problem was still there and then he started singing a different tune(replacing some sensor). ...........
whenever u have some sort of problem with one service advisor Be sure you make your point clear to his Senior guy he will definitely take actions against him if you go directly and talk to him.
goodluck

Last edited by FERRO : 22nd November 2007 at 19:23.
Old 7th December 2007, 12:32   #8

Squealing Sound

I am continuing with same thread, since there would be continuity.

I have noticed recently on a drive through to Borivali via Ghodbunder road(which has sharp turns and hairpin bends) a squealing sound coming from the car, the same which we normally get when brakes are applied at high speeds. I was cruising in the 5th gear, the vehicle was loaded. I took couple of the sharp turns in the 5th gear when i heard the sound from the car.

I am not able to figure it out. Could there be some issues with the car?

Kindly help.

regards,

kkumarm
Old 7th December 2007, 16:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

is it from the tyres ?
Old 7th December 2007, 16:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkumarm View Post
I am continuing with same thread, since there would be continuity.

I have noticed recently on a drive through to Borivali via Ghodbunder road(which has sharp turns and hairpin bends) a squealing sound coming from the car, the same which we normally get when brakes are applied at high speeds. I was cruising in the 5th gear, the vehicle was loaded. I took couple of the sharp turns in the 5th gear when i heard the sound from the car.

I am not able to figure it out. Could there be some issues with the car?

Kindly help.

regards,

kkumarm
When you are taking turns at high speed, the rubber will slip - check the thread of the tires. Take the same turn at a lower speed and see if the squeeling comes.
Old 7th December 2007, 17:32   #11
BHPian

Sound while taking a turn

The road surface wearout at such hairpin bends will be more.
when you drive your car in high speed you do get a kind of sound which is unpleasent.

The reason could be your caliper pin of disc brakes in your palio.
To test this, give a pat to the type when the vehicle is off. If you find a slight vibration, it is a confirmation.

Remidy:
You need to put a copper shim near the caliper pin which is loose.Should not cost more than Rs 100 plus labor.

Do let me know if your problem is solved or not.
Old 12th March 2008, 13:17   #12

Clutch Pedal: Goes down all the way to the floor.

Hi,

A couple of days back i had noticed the brake light indicator glowing when the car was in motion, this was on and off. I consulted my mech, he told me it could be due to brake/clutch oil. Today in the morning while starting the car found the clutch pedal going all the way down to the floor.

1) What could be the issue and how do i get this fixed.
2) If there is a need to top up the brake/clutch oil, in my case, what would be the best practices involved.

I had checked the net and found the following website on bleeding brakes.

Bleeding Brakes

Would this technique be necessary in my case.

Thanks and Regards,

KKM
Old 14th March 2008, 11:10   #13

Re: Clutch Pedal- Goes down all the way to the floor.

The mech checked out the clutch cylinder and tried bleeding it, it was partially successful. He noticed that there was problem with the clutch cylinder located near to the clutch pedal. He advised me to change both the cylinders, i got it changed.

How much does a replacement of this kind cost in Fiat Palio 1.2 ELX? I was charged Rs 3650. Is this a fair charge?

I have another query: what can be done when such a situation arises (no clutch) when one is driving on the road(luckily for me the problem was noticed when the car was parked )

Thanks and Regards,

KKM
Old 20th April 2009, 18:29   #14

Re: Clutch Pedal- Goes down all the way to the floor.

Hi KKM (kkumarm),
I recently faced the same problem on my Palio 1.6 GTX

When you faced the problem, did you tow your vehicle to the workshop? I want to find out if there is a possibility of replacing the cylinders outside the workshop.

My car is currently parked in a basement and has a steep ramp (incline). Even the tow trucks cannot get in that space. Just wondering how to get my car out; hence my earlier question.

Any guidance on this would be helpful.

- Vikram
Old 27th April 2009, 16:10   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudakesh View Post
Hi KKM (kkumarm),
I recently faced the same problem on my Palio 1.6 GTX

When you faced the problem, did you tow your vehicle to the workshop? I want to find out if there is a possibility of replacing the cylinders outside the workshop.

My car is currently parked in a basement and has a steep ramp (incline). Even the tow trucks cannot get in that space. Just wondering how to get my car out; hence my earlier question.

Any guidance on this would be helpful.

- Vikram
Hi Vikram,

Luckily for me the car was parked near my building, I had to call the mech to check it out, he did some temp stop gap arrangement so that he could get the Car to his workshop.

Regards,

KKM

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks