Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2007, 01:08   #31
BHPian

Quote:
FWD is also cheaper to manufacture than RWD
That's the only reason why so many cars are FWD nowadays
Old 9th November 2007, 01:37   #32
BHPian

Understeer - At hero high speed cornering, your car will understeer considerably, that is, you will need to feed in more steering input and yea be smart, take your foot off the accelerator or you will hit that tree.

Oversteer - Its the same difference ;-), okh the only thing is less steering input and yea a masterful skill is required as you will be at the limit, again if you dont do it right you will hit that tree, maybe sideways.
Old 9th November 2007, 01:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

It is much easier ot drift in a FWD than in a RWD.
Old 9th November 2007, 02:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Absolutely agreed. In reverse gear.
Old 9th November 2007, 02:18   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Yea i guess if you are in reverse gear............always that is.
Old 9th November 2007, 03:13   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolader View Post
Yea i guess if you are in reverse gear............always that is.
I second that... I don't think "opposite lock on tarmac" is a concept that FWDs can comprehend...
Old 9th November 2007, 04:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

Those of you who think RWD's are brouhaha, need to drive the Conty. Seriously.
Old 9th November 2007, 06:43   #38
BHPian

I have been looking for this particular topic since I started using this forum. Thanks a lot. But still have a question, can drifting (like one in the move Tokyo Drift) be done in FWD(specialy with hatchbacks available in India? Any member of this group does that(irrespective of FWD or RWD)? asking this because i have not heard of people drifting here in Hyderabad. I have seed a episode of "5th Gear" which shows how to drift in a FWD. are FWD cars available here powerful enough to do that?

How safe is it to try a handbreak parking technique with Indian hatches.
Old 9th November 2007, 07:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

Oh, i am soo sorry, i meant the other way around.

It is much easier to drift in a RWD than in a FWD.
Old 9th November 2007, 14:20   #40
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
When a car is sitting still the most ideal balance to have is 50/50. Period. When it is moving though, weight transfer comes into play and as we all know: suspension tuning IS controlling weight transfer.
True enough, though I am sure people appreciate the handling of their cars more when driving rather than standing still there seem to be some compromises in road car suspension engineering which makes a more rearward bias desirable.

Old 9th November 2007, 22:17   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyonblackybx View Post
can drifting (like one in the move Tokyo Drift) be done in FWD(specialy with hatchbacks available in India? Any member of this group does that(irrespective of FWD or RWD)?
I have seed a episode of "5th Gear" which shows how to drift in a FWD. are FWD cars available here powerful enough to do that?

OK, one thing at a time. IMDB trivia: "The AWD Mitsubishi Evo IX and VW R32's in Tokyo Drift were converted to RWD to drift properly."
Personally, the closest I've come to an FWD drift in India was while getting off a curved flyover... you sort of set up the car at an angle and use the curve to upset the car's CoG so you slide sideways. IMHO, FWD drifiting is very unpredictable... you never know when you might suddenly regain traction and directional control!
Handbrake parking: works much more predictably on dirt than tarmac. Causes less damage to the car, too.
Old 9th November 2007, 22:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyonblackybx View Post
I have been looking for this particular topic since I started using this forum. Thanks a lot. But still have a question, can drifting (like one in the move Tokyo Drift) be done in FWD(specialy with hatchbacks available in India? Any member of this group does that(irrespective of FWD or RWD)? asking this because i have not heard of people drifting here in Hyderabad. I have seed a episode of "5th Gear" which shows how to drift in a FWD. are FWD cars available here powerful enough to do that?

Even a M800 can drift on the handbrake, if the brakes are proper. And in my opinion it actually displays a huge control while doing so. Infact handling wise, I dont think any FWD car in India ever comes close to a "proper" Maruti 800. Just that if you intend to do it regularly, remove the lock on the handbrake and on the 800 the lever used to be reachable beautifully on ones hand.
Old 9th November 2007, 22:41   #43
BHPian

I wrote: Most production RWD sedans are tuned to understeer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I beg your pardon?!
Here is why
Quote:
What's the best way to fly off the road? Safety types prefer frontwards -- understeer. Why? To control an oversteering skid, where the rear wheels are heading for the weeds, you have to both slow down and counterintuitively turn the wheel in the opposite of the direction you're turning. In a front-drive car, with the front wheels slipping, you slow down and keep turning the way you'd been turning to get around the corner in the first place -- a more natural maneuver, since you're pointing the car in the direction you want to go. This is why, for safety reasons, even rear-drive cars sold to average consumers tend to have their springs and other suspension bits set up to make them understeer -- to make the front tires slip first, despite the car's innate oversteering tendency. Only by applying lots of power in a corner can you actually break the rear end of a bread-and-butter rear-drive car like the Mustang loose -- a maneuver favored by sports car freaks, but one you try at your own peril.

The only time I go fast in my car is when I see a curve and we have quite a few of them in our city where couple of loops merge. The curves are almost mile long and posted limit is between 25 - 40 mph. I tend to drive in 65 - 70 and its lot of fun. I did notice that my coupe understeer's and I have to either slow down or turn the ESP off and accelerate to take the corners. This has been the experience of other C class owners too who drive on stock set-up.
Old 9th November 2007, 22:41   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oversteer View Post
OK, one thing at a time. IMDB trivia: "The AWD Mitsubishi Evo IX and VW R32's in Tokyo Drift were converted to RWD to drift properly."
Personally, the closest I've come to an FWD drift in India was while getting off a curved flyover... you sort of set up the car at an angle and use the curve to upset the car's CoG so you slide sideways. IMHO, FWD drifiting is very unpredictable... you never know when you might suddenly regain traction and directional control!
Handbrake parking: works much more predictably on dirt than tarmac. Causes less damage to the car, too.
Thanks for clarifying on that.
Old 9th November 2007, 22:44   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Even a M800 can drift on the handbrake, if the brakes are proper. And in my opinion it actually displays a huge control while doing so. Infact handling wise, I dont think any FWD car in India ever comes close to a "proper" Maruti 800. Just that if you intend to do it regularly, remove the lock on the handbrake and on the 800 the lever used to be reachable beautifully on ones hand.
Never knew about this ability of Maruti 800.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks