Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2007, 23:15   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
The connection between the diff and the wheels differs from FWDs to RWDs though.
Indeed, the physical construction is very different, but the ratios have to be maintained as per the laws of physics.
Old 12th November 2007, 03:51   #62
Senior - BHPian

Erm..regarding left foot braking...the whole point is to maintain throttle control for maximum velocity. Using it for slides is not that good an idea since the driven wheels are applied braking force as well. Tuned custom vehicles have adjustable brake bias, such that the driven wheels aren't stressed...it should be kept in mind that the engine should be revving in it's powerband to execute any slide; hard to do so in tarmac with grippy tyres. Dirt & slicks, bingo.

And as for 800 being the best handling FWD....isn't the Zen better? I've felt so. No matter how you adjust the lock nut on the rack, you just can't perfect the steering play....besides, the Zen is more direct in feel.

FWD LSD differentials are much more tolerant with torque steer & cornering, but you can ALWAYS make out a FWD & RWD differential. Of course, the final drive ratios have to be similar for identical wheel speeds, but the construction (types of gears, planetary, sun & star, etc.) & driving characteristics are again, different....
Old 12th November 2007, 04:36   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
Erm..regarding left foot braking...the whole point is to maintain throttle control for maximum velocity. Using it for slides is not that good an idea since the driven wheels are applied braking force as well. Tuned custom vehicles have adjustable brake bias, such that the driven wheels aren't stressed....
that is very true, it is not good for the car.
Old 12th November 2007, 08:28   #64
Senior - BHPian

Have been trying the handbrake technique for quite some time now, and it is really hard to do it on a tarmac, on a wet tarmac, yes. dont have the place to try the left foot braking technique.
Old 12th November 2007, 10:02   #65
BHPian

Guys!
- Rear wheel drive
- Front wheel drive

These are amazing videos!
Old 12th November 2007, 10:21   #66
BHPian

For folks interested in Left Foot braking
Left Foot Braking In Front Wheel Drive, Rally Racing News

Leftfootbraking.com - Learn rallying and racing at Pentti's Rally School, cars and motorsport, left foot braking, sideways - Some cool videos and links on LFB

My favourite -
Old 12th November 2007, 22:05   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
And as for 800 being the best handling FWD....isn't the Zen better? I've felt so. No matter how you adjust the lock nut on the rack, you just can't perfect the steering play....besides, the Zen is more direct in feel.
Maybe it's just me, but I found used to find the feedback from my M800's steering and brakes much better compared to my Dad's 2003 Zen. IMHO, the EPS really kills it. In the M800, you can actually feel the road... I felt I could always push harder with more confidence than the Zen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Have been trying the handbrake technique for quite some time now, and it is really hard to do it on a tarmac, on a wet tarmac, yes. dont have the place to try the left foot braking technique.
Find an open parking lot with a dirt surface, man... like Palace Grounds ;-)

And thanks for the videos, raajks!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks