Team-BHP - Fuel additives and octane boosters....do they really work?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Fuel additives and octane boosters....do they really work? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/31151-fuel-additives-octane-boosters-do-they-really-work.html)

In a recent episode of Fifth Gear, some fuel additives were tested on an engine under ideal conditions in a laboratory. Some of these additives boast of upto 10% gains in power but the test revealed some shocking results.

See for yourselves - YouTube - Myth about fuel additives, 5th Gear

Shan2nu

Just saw the video...shucks man....what a revelation!:Shockked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan2nu (Post 622163)
In a recent episode of Fifth Gear, some fuel additives were tested on an engine under ideal conditions in a laboratory. Some of these additives boast of upto 10% gains in power but the test revealed some shocking results.

See for yourselves - YouTube - Myth about fuel additives, 5th Gear

Shan2nu

Can someone give a summary for those who can't watch the video?

Wow! So does that put the myths of Octane Booster's to rest??

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 622239)
Can someone give a summary for those who can't watch the video?

Basically, they tested 4 popular products all of which claimed to improve Power/Acceleration, End result on the dyno was that all of them actually reduced the power of the engine rather than improving upon it.

i guess these are helpful (if any) for moded high performance engine and will not help in regular street spec's.

Good headsup video that.

I am surprised with the video. I use System-D in my Indica and it does seem to make some difference. Definitely in the engine noise levels and smoothness. About the power i cant really be sure.

yes, they tested only for power increase no the other factors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adityamunshi (Post 622976)
I am surprised with the video. I use System-D in my Indica and it does seem to make some difference. Definitely in the engine noise levels and smoothness. About the power i cant really be sure.

Suprising! Then, how the manufacturers make money by seeling products with such tall claims?

Quote:

Originally Posted by adityamunshi (Post 622976)

System D is an injector pump cleaner for Diesel engines, NOT octane booster.

nice revelation buddy keep it up!

That is a shocking revelation! So we indians are not the only ones being fooled.

Fuel additives and octane boosters are different stuff. In the video, they do not clearly mention whether the all products were octane boosters or just additives (two of them were octane boosters). I wonder what is the octane rating of the 'normal' unleaded fuel they used?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyper123 (Post 623159)
That is a shocking revelation! So we indians are not the only ones being fooled.

Fuel additives and octane boosters are different stuff. In the video, they do not clearly mention whether the all products were octane boosters or just additives (two of them were octane boosters). I wonder what is the octane rating of the 'normal' unleaded fuel they used?

Definately not going to be 87!

I feel with the hype created through advertisements, most people easily believe everything / most of the things they read or see. The positive effects could be psychological. But in some cases such products may actually produce a positive result but difference would be very negligible.

I have been using SystemG Injector cleaner for around 2 years. I feel the engine is slightly smoother. Cant say its a miracle product. And I dont even use it if i am tanking up at shell. While for some its a matter of "feeling safe with adulterated fuel" which can be termed psychological, I can feel reduction in engine knocking and slightly better response from the engine. Other factors like state of tune etc play a major role too.

Cant comment on octane boosters as I havent used them yet.

One should ensure to have realistic expectations from the products they buy, take feedback from real users (Thank God for sites like Tbhp) and not from the advert's/media.

Since we are discussing additives, i thought i would ask a question about System G. I have a ford ikon and i was recommended i use System G by BP. I do see some improvement in the performance of the engine but i am really not sure what i does and how it does it :confused: . Can anybody clarify this for me please?? thanks in advance.