Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2007, 14:37   #1
BHPian

Steering Jitter / Wobble - Hyundai Santro

I picked up a santro in August 07 more so that both my wife and me can drive the car...in Mumbai. I was for the 1.6 Palio, but then decided against it as she was not comfortable and could not find the best seating position. May be the cedia for myself next year..

I also own an alto in chennai and recently traded my old steed the seina 1.2 for this car. But never faced such a problem on either of them.
I have a peculiar problem with this car.

i ve noticed that there is a steering jitter or mild wobble that creeps in at exactly 90 -100 km / hr which remains till around 120 km / hr and then seems to go away as i climb to 130. 140km/hr was what i touched recently on the highway. just pushed it to see.. how far in can go.. but averaged around 100 / 110.. its done 2500 km

about 3 days after picking up the car I changed to new alloys 13"( Neo) from a good dealer and upgraded to the next tire size 185 Bridgestone with an S rating .. so it feels and sits much better on the road.

I checked the wheel alignment and wheel balancing twice, when i noticed the problem but everything was ok. The tyre guys told me it can be a steering fault, that the bushes could be defective.. I havent yet gone to the service center , but will do tomorrow. It does not disturb the composure of the car .. but its effect on the steering is annoying and can be felt through the seats mildly. It just kills the whole highway experience, what ever is left of it in a santro.

Has anyone experienced this or can advise me if it is actually a steering problem in a new car ... 2500 Km old...?..

Thanks.
Old 11th November 2007, 17:54   #2
aZa
Senior - BHPian

This should be a balancing problem! Did the problem exist before changing to alloys ?
Old 11th November 2007, 18:57   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
This should be a balancing problem! Did the problem exist before changing to alloys ?
i did not check that as i changed to alloys 3 days after buying it and did not cross 100km/hr till the car ran in about 1800 Kms... But as mentioned i have checked the alignment and balancing post the change to alloys and wider tyres twice.. did not help....
Old 11th November 2007, 19:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Try to get the balancing done once again from some other place.
Old 11th November 2007, 22:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

and if the problem still persists after the balancing at another place, then take the car to the A.S.S. and get the problem checked (if you feel its the rack and pinion steering set up's problem).

if its a defective tyre or alloy wheel then i am sure NEO brand offers good warranty against defects get the wheels and/or tyres changed.
Old 11th November 2007, 23:40   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Try to get the balancing done once again from some other place.

Get balancing and alignment done properly.
Old 11th November 2007, 23:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinehead View Post
about 3 days after picking up the car I changed to new alloys 13"( Neo) from a good dealer and upgraded to the next tire size 185 Bridgestone with an S rating .. so it feels and sits much better on the road.
I'm a little confused here. What size tyres did you pick up? 185/60 R13 or 165/65 R13? Since stick size in Santro is 155/70 R13 the next tire size is 165 & not 185.

Also, what was the PCD of the rims you picked up?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks