Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2007, 14:00   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

my bad. didn't mean to offend you buddy. i know what u mean.

whats PYT btw?
Old 13th November 2007, 14:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

No offence taken either Bro. Was just clarifying my stand..

PYT = pretty young thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
my bad. didn't mean to offend you buddy. i know what u mean.

whats PYT btw?
Old 13th November 2007, 14:20   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Diesels have a very very long torque unlike their petrol bretheren.
I beg to differ on that point. Diesel engines run out of grunt at lower rpms than their petrol counterparts.
Old 13th November 2007, 15:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

And wherever did I mention that diesels have more torque at low RPM? I said that they have a long torque. Actually it is the petrol engines that have more torque at low RPMs. In diesels the torque is measured at 3500 + RPMs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I beg to differ on that point. Diesel engines run out of grunt at lower rpms than their petrol counterparts.
Old 13th November 2007, 15:24   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
And wherever did I mention that diesels have more torque at low RPM? I said that they have a long torque. Actually it is the petrol engines that have more torque at low RPMs. In diesels the torque is measured at 3500 + RPMs..
oh some sort of miscommunication. I meant that petrol engines can rev much higher than the diesel ones which mostly run out of grunt after 5000 rpms.
Old 13th November 2007, 15:41   #36
BHPian

Myth about Common Rail Tech

The first car that came out with CRD tech, the Accent crdi has created this myth of having a life of only 60k-70k . Although there are a good amount of cars that are running for a good amount of time, there are an equal amount of those that have had humongous repair bills.. There is a few fundamental issues with the 3 cyl engine, and precisely the reason why it was discontinued.

The current crop of CRD engines are a hoot to drive, and driven properly, can last a loooooooong time..

Primarily since the diesels are built a lot tougher to withstand the higher compression, they do last much longer..

With new engines, the belching black smoke is history, even with engines that have a 100k kms on the clock

I was a confirmed petrol head for along time, but now diesels rock..
Old 13th November 2007, 15:50   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, is this a thread for debating petrol vs diesel? Just asking since I couldnt figure out the type of response I could post.
Old 13th November 2007, 18:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

@theMAG - Maggie, you are confused. You are just supposed to say - 'Diesels are so nice. I would love to have one. I have a petrol Swift and I already hate it'. There...done !
Old 13th November 2007, 18:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
@theMAG - Maggie, you are confused. You are just supposed to say - 'Diesels are so nice. I would love to have one. I have a petrol Swift and I already hate it'. There...done !

I have neither so sue me!
Old 13th November 2007, 22:44   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Actually, is this a thread for debating petrol vs diesel? Just asking since I couldnt figure out the type of response I could post.
MAG, it's ok if you cant figure out what to post .. Guess we can live with this one thread not having a humor-hammering from you
Old 18th January 2008, 23:25   #41
Senior - BHPian

prabhuav. so you were an old petrolhead just converted to diesel. diesel rocks? sure. just tell me one thing and i'll convert to diesel, too. can you make diesel cars sound like petrol cars? the exhaust note. the ferrari like rasping, howling high rpm scream when you floor the pedal. the vrrroooom vrrroooom kinda sound. you know what i mean. i just hate that subdued grrr... grrr.... grrr.... kinda sound a diesel engine makes. tell me how to change that and i'm on board too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
The first car that came out with CRD tech, the Accent crdi has created this myth of having a life of only 60k-70k . Although there are a good amount of cars that are running for a good amount of time, there are an equal amount of those that have had humongous repair bills.. There is a few fundamental issues with the 3 cyl engine, and precisely the reason why it was discontinued.

The current crop of CRD engines are a hoot to drive, and driven properly, can last a loooooooong time..

Primarily since the diesels are built a lot tougher to withstand the higher compression, they do last much longer..

With new engines, the belching black smoke is history, even with engines that have a 100k kms on the clock

I was a confirmed petrol head for along time, but now diesels rock..
Old 20th January 2008, 08:38   #42
jat
BHPian

take help of sam. install some amplifier, good speakers and connect it to gas pedal :-D. you can get any kind of sound you like
Old 20th January 2008, 10:22   #43
rippergeo

I think all dieselheads should stop promoting diesels. guys, think about it, the more people we convert to diesel, the more competition we get on our roads. its nice to let the petrol people decieve themselves and struggle to keep up. lets keep the diesel secret to ourselves.

Old 27th January 2008, 22:56   #44
Senior - BHPian

Petrolhead to reluctant convert!

I too believed that gentlemen dont drive diesels. Those were the days of 'converted' diesels. Which meant that you took an old warhorse that was built like a tank and shoved a condemned marine engine (BMC) into it. A similar engine did service as the 'trekker' engine. Later came the 'matador' variation, a slightly more sophisticated alternative (if one can call it that), sophisticated - inasmuch the engine was at least a land-blubber. Last came the one that we still live with today - the Isuzu engine which came from land transport. Funny how the manufacturers took the cue from the after-market guys.

In all the above cases it was rare that the engines were new. Observing all the ills listed by the other members here, I hated diesels and stuck to petrol for the reliability, refinement, performance and the 'clean thing'.

The new CDI (or CRDI) if you will, with electronic engine management, however is a different ball game altogether. I drive the new Laura (which is actually a PD) and am truly converted. Except when still, one cant make out it is a Diesel. Once on the move there is no - noise (absolutely no 'diesel clatter'), vibration or lack of performance. I have seen older Octys with over 200 thou on the clock and they are running fine, so the oil burners seem to be as long lived as the petrol powered beasts. Best of all, I get 13 km for Rs.35/- while my much smaller Corsa squeezes out only 11 km for Rs.50/- !
Old 7th February 2008, 20:33   #45
rippergeo

Source- BSMotoring

News & Features - Shift_supercar - Business Standard Motoring

The Audi R8 has been a showcase for the Ingolstadt-based manufacturer’s engineering prowess. Now, with the V12 TDI, they’ve made the case for a diesel supercar. Using the same engine block from the Q7 V12 TDI, the R8 TDI becomes the first production diesel supercar in the world. Producing an astonishing 490 bhp and 101 kgm of torque, the R8 TDI can out-accelerate its own petrol sibling to 100 kph, registering a time of 4.2 seconds, vis-à-vis 4.6 seconds. This is due to the fact that all its torque is available from a mere 1750 rpm – truly locomotive like. Audi claims a top speed of 300 kph, which puts it in the same league as other supercars.

But performance apart, Audi have pulled the rug from under everyone’s feet by making it Euro-VI ready, a stricture that is slated to be in place as late as 2014. It does so by the use of common-rail direct injection that features piezo injectors, twin particulate filters and an aqueous urea solution tank

Source- BSMotoring
__________________________________________________ ______

still not convinced about diesels? wait and see.

Last edited by rippergeo : 7th February 2008 at 20:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks