Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2008, 00:58   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Guys i am facing the same problem. My CEL has come on and the ideling has gone up to 1400 from 900. The ideling drops to 1000 as soon as i switch on my ac. Morning starts funny. There are air gaps while reving the engine, they clear out in like 5 minutes. Dont know what i shoud be doing. Could it be just a moisture problem? coz i had parked my car the previous night with everything ok. Next morning i get up and the CEL is on.

First thing i need to do is clean the o2 sensor and reset the ECM.

BUT WHERE IS THE O2 SENSOR LOCATED????

Also plz tell me if you guys think i shd be checking something else also.

Should i continue driving the car like this???

H E L P . . .

i have been driving without it from the time i posted on the forum. nothing untoward has been noticed (i'm very finicky).
Old 3rd July 2008, 02:43   #47
Senior - BHPian

But i do notice a big diff in acc when the light doesn't come on (even at full throttle). I think i'd better get another O2 sensor, atleast for the performance sake. LOL

Shan2nu
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Guys i am facing the same problem. My CEL has come on and the ideling has gone up to 1400 from 900. The ideling drops to 1000 as soon as i switch on my ac. Morning starts funny. There are air gaps while reving the engine, they clear out in like 5 minutes. Dont know what i shoud be doing. Could it be just a moisture problem? coz i had parked my car the previous night with everything ok. Next morning i get up and the CEL is on.

First thing i need to do is clean the o2 sensor and reset the ECM.

BUT WHERE IS THE O2 SENSOR LOCATED????

Also plz tell me if you guys think i shd be checking something else also.

Should i continue driving the car like this???

H E L P . . .
How many KMS you car has run ?
Please check the ignition timing of your car
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:22   #49
Senior - BHPian

There are multiple O2 sensors depending on the car and might need a special tool to remove the sensor. Its best left to the A.S.S if you dont have the tools/ expertise as some need you to go underneath the body to access (Exhaust).

Let the A.S.S plug their reader and if O2 sensor is a problem it will give the relevant error code pointing to the sensor too. The reader doesnt tell about the exact problem but tells something is wrong.
Old 3rd July 2008, 14:02   #50
Senior - BHPian

My car has done 63k.
Plz explain the meaning of ignition timing.
Old 4th July 2008, 17:16   #51
BHPian

I too suggest going with Authorized service center, bcoz local mechanics would not have the required tool sets to diagnose and replace. Better not take changes with the engine electronics.

Regards
Shreyas

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post. Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support Staff

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th July 2008 at 17:30. Reason: Color tags
Old 5th July 2008, 11:33   #52
Senior - BHPian

Impressive Mechanic

HI GUYS !!!

Sorry for the long post but, cant hold myself back . . .

Over the list few days i have had sleep less nights due to the CEL coming on in the cockpit of my luv. I guess sleep less nights are common to most of us when some thing goes wrong with our cars coz they are more than just modes of transport for us.

In addition to the CEL coming on the idling had also gone up by approx 500 rpm, this was what was killing me all the time. I dint know if the CEL had come on due the same reason. My mechanic had told me not to worry and get the car to him whenever i found time. So finally after driving about 100 more kms (3 days) it was yesterday that i could finally make it to his garage. (I hate myself for the delay)

The cause for the CEL to come on was a very silly, foolish thing. RAT's chewed my wiring harnesses and created a mess. The idling has come back down to 800rpm after cleaning all the sensors and air filter.

This guys (Vinayak from andheri - mumbai is amazing!!! PM me if you want his number # ) has been maintaining my car from the start and has never made me spend an extra rupee. He kept telling me all the while that i need not get the scan done and that he will identify the problem himself. HE DID IT!!! Now i realise the importance of having a good mechanic.

He has also advised me to keep morteen mouse repellents and tie packets of tobacco under the hood in places where a rat can find place to sit, according to him the rats wont come if i do this.

Time take to repair : 5 hrs
Cost : INR 300 ONLY
(including all the other small maintenance work he did for me)

Finally after the smooth drive back home i did what Vinayak said and had a good night sleep.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

2 Smilies per post please.

We STRONGLY advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th July 2008 at 12:55.
Old 9th October 2008, 18:27   #53
BHPian

Today, I join the OHC bandwagon of a faulty O2 sensor! (I assume)

While driving to work on NH8, the CEL came on for the first time in 10+ years and 115k ODO reading. Looking at the trend, I've been fortunate enough that my O2 sensor has lasted me this long.

I pulled over and switched off the engine, after a few minutes, started again and the CEL has disappeared. Only defect I saw was that the speedo has stopped working. I thought this could be the reason but after I spoke to Ishan did I realise the speedo is cable powered. (By this time I had sent out SOS texts to a couple of NCR T-Bhp members)

There has been no drop in performance and light comes back on after sometime only after I restart the car.

Now, should I first get the sensor cleaned and reset the ECU? Can it be DIY? How?

Second, where can I get a Hi-Scan done in Delhi? If the sensor needs replacement, I will source this on my own.

Thirdly, aftermarket header designs have a wrong placement for the sensor which cause the O2 sensor to go kaput, so what effect will replacement have on them. Will they get faulty soon again?

Sorry for the long post.
Old 9th October 2008, 20:47   #54
BHPian

Ankit

I faced the very same problem sometime back. You can reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative battery terminal overnight.

You can check the error code without a Hi-Scan too, this might interest you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post936009

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post937728

In my case the problem went away on its own exactly after 9 days just when i was about to get the O2 sensor replaced. So i suggest you wait for a few days.

dhiman
Old 10th October 2008, 09:47   #55
Senior - BHPian

Like you must have read, i had a similar problem and it was due to eaten up wires. there could be some cut spedo wire in your case
Old 24th November 2008, 14:46   #56

Honda city engine sensor light malfunction

Hello guys,

For the last 4 weeks or so I am facing a very strange problem with my 2003 Honda City 1.5Exi. The "check engine" sensor light on the dashboard does not switch off many times during the day. This started happening after I got the steering rack changed in the car. But it might be completely unrelated.

There are about 100,000 Kms on the car. The technicians say that there is no engine fault and the sensor is malfunctioning. They reset it and send the car back. Most of the times the sensor light does not go off in the morning. But then during the day it decides to behave and switches itself off.

Now, the latest word from the Deccan Honda people in Pune is that the sensor has to be replaced for Rs. 16,000. That sounds atrocious. Any help or clues will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 24th November 2008, 17:20   #57
Senior - BHPian

The most common prob for this is the O2 sensor but the light will come for many other reasons.

A friend got his car checked at Honda and found his light was coming on due to a faulty "TPS" system.

So dont take it lightly and have the car checked by Honda asap.

Shan2nu
Old 24th November 2008, 17:24   #58
BHPian

Same problem on my VTEC. initially it used to come up and vanish but now it remains on. it seems replacing the O2 sensor is the only option. Some of the threads suggest to replace this with a cheaper one that is available for 2K to 5K. have not searched it yet. Can anyone suggest a shop in Pune or Mumbai?
Old 24th November 2008, 21:14   #59
BHPian

get the car scanned by honda service . whenever a malfunction is detected the check light is lit up and the error code together with the freeze frame data of that malfunction is stored in the ecu. this can be read by the scanner and the specific problem pin pointed. It probably is the o2 sensor which operates under high temp. in the exhaust and malfunctions sometime even due to adulterated or sub standard fuel.
Old 24th November 2008, 22:39   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punekar View Post
The technicians say that there is no engine fault and the sensor is malfunctioning.
Now, the latest word from the Deccan Honda people in Pune is that the sensor has to be replaced for Rs. 16,000.
Well this is the exact same suggestion the honda guys here gave a bhpian Urja82 for her honda city.

But 100,000 means its time to S.E.L.L!!! or Go the Jiggy/Jitu way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks