Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2008, 04:17   #61
BHPian

My sensor light comes up too but its really moody. It has never stayed back with me after the start but comes up while im driving and wont disappear till i shut off the engine and restart the car. The probability of this happening is approx. once in 30 ignitions; have got it checked too but they seem to find no fault infact they have never seen the sensor light come up. Got it scanned at honda too but everything seems to be in place and they just smile and say " Sir, its not possible"
Old 25th November 2008, 04:39   #62
abk
BHPian

I suppose it is not the engine malfunction light (red) that is being discussed here but rather the emission malfunction light (yellow)? If my supposition is correct then I have had this problem since the past year with my Honda City 1.5 Exi, 2000 model that had then done about 60k when the problem appeared the first time. I got the bulb checked by Honda (Prime Honda, Vaishali & Honda in NOIDA). Both of them concluded it is a problem with the oxygen sensor. A replacement will cost about Rs 16k and they advised that I can continue to use my car without the replacement. However, ever since the malfunction (the yellow light is on 99% of the time - 1% being when it takes a while before coming ON ) I have noticed that my car's FE has increased. Also, the background to this is i regularly get the exhaust repaired (read: get it welded a few times and then replaced) by local garage. That is one fragile part of my car and during the long drives i often manage to scrape the underbody and get the cracks reappear By now i must have done at least 6 times this work done and replaced the exhaust twice.

Here is an example of the exhaust repair on my way back to NOIDA from one of the trips to Mukteshwar (love the place!)
Attached Thumbnails
Engine Malfunction Light ON in OHC. pls advise!-mukteshwar-nainital-156.jpg  

Old 25th November 2008, 07:39   #63
BHPian

I remember reading somewhere in the forum about the O2 sensor being available after market from Denso for 7K.
Old 25th November 2008, 09:52   #64
BHPian

In my Swift, I had an instrumental panel malfunction.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...lfunction.html

The MASS guys adviced me to get the ECM replaced. Since I was not happy with thier explanations, I didn't go for a replace. A lot of t-bhpians also adviced to have it checked properly. One fine day all the problems are gone.

So, before you go for any expensive replacements, please get your vehicle a full checkup
Old 14th December 2008, 13:45   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punekar View Post
Hello guys,

For the last 4 weeks or so I am facing a very strange problem with my 2003 Honda City 1.5Exi. The "check engine" sensor light on the dashboard does not switch off many times during the day. This started happening after I got the steering rack changed in the car. But it might be completely unrelated.

There are about 100,000 Kms on the car. The technicians say that there is no engine fault and the sensor is malfunctioning. They reset it and send the car back. Most of the times the sensor light does not go off in the morning. But then during the day it decides to behave and switches itself off.

Now, the latest word from the Deccan Honda people in Pune is that the sensor has to be replaced for Rs. 16,000. That sounds atrocious. Any help or clues will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sounds like an O2 sensor issue. I had the same trouble for a while and down here at bangalore HASS quoted 17k for it. I finally got it done for a aftermarket Denso product (2.8K) and its work just fine. Also its true that I did notice a higher FE when the O2 wasn't functioning. It just hurt me to see the yellow indicator ON each time I turned on the car.
Old 14th January 2009, 09:53   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack7 View Post
Sounds like an O2 sensor issue. I had the same trouble for a while and down here at bangalore HASS quoted 17k for it. I finally got it done for a aftermarket Denso product (2.8K) and its work just fine. Also its true that I did notice a higher FE when the O2 wasn't functioning. It just hurt me to see the yellow indicator ON each time I turned on the car.
Hi Jack, Can you please let me know where in Bangalore did you pick up the O2 Sensor? Mine started lighting up since today morning, i haven't got the scan done yet but just want to be prepared in any case.
Old 14th January 2009, 15:32   #67
BHPian

Care to share !!!

Jack, please care to share the details of this 'aftermarket Denso' product for 2.8k which reportedly does the replacement of the O2 sensor.

Also, could the Gurus comment on this as to how such a huge discrepancy in the 2 products' pricing, which are meant to do the same job !?!
Old 20th January 2009, 21:25   #68
BHPian

Hi All,
Have started experiencing the engine malfunction light since recently.
The car has done 67k. I need help to buy the O2 sensor in Bangalore.
My initial enquiry from outside market has got me the below info

Taiwan make - 2k
Denso - 6.5 k

Can any of you suggest a better place to buy in bangalore, am have it
replacedthis saturday. Appreciate any info. Posting some pics for you all
Attached Thumbnails
Engine Malfunction Light ON in OHC. pls advise!-18012009708.jpg  

Engine Malfunction Light ON in OHC. pls advise!-17012009701.jpg  

Old 20th January 2009, 22:06   #69
BHPian

After a week I took my car out for getting the air pressure checked, after getting the air pressure check I noticed the engine check light was on, I was so pissed off thinking what happened.. Then turned off the car and turned it on and it went off and drove the car for about 15 Kms to just check whether the light will come on.

Will be going to Honda his weekend hope they won’t say that O2 sensor has gone bad.
Old 21st January 2009, 02:26   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asejwal View Post
Jack, please care to share the details of this 'aftermarket Denso' product for 2.8k which reportedly does the replacement of the O2 sensor.

Also, could the Gurus comment on this as to how such a huge discrepancy in the 2 products' pricing, which are meant to do the same job !?!
Depends on how the former is procured. These are usually chori ka maal, or flicked during imports, and so they sell cheaper.

I was recently offered a Denso O2 sensor but it was for the OHC Type II. I had to sadly refuse it, but the best part is the price: 1.5k

@shreyas99 - Did your RPM idle go up to 1k after the EML light went on or did you have your foot on the accelerator when you took the picture?

I remember my RPM went down when my check engine light went on. Have now got the speedo cable replaced (which was broken) and suspected the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). The ECU scan is now clean I'm told!
Old 21st January 2009, 02:39   #71
BHPian

Very peculiar thing that I've noticed while driving with the malfunction light is that the light would NEVER come on if I didn't allow enough back-pressure to build up while driving. It did make me use the clutch more but saved from the CEL to come on.

With time, I know exactly how much back pressure to be allowed or clutch in before it goes on. Guys, try this out and post your findings. You can accelerate on 2nd or 3rd gear and let then let go your foot off the pedal. See if this causes the light to go on.
Old 21st January 2009, 10:11   #72
Senior - BHPian

Interesting..will try and get back on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Very peculiar thing that I've noticed while driving with the malfunction light is that the light would NEVER come on if I didn't allow enough back-pressure to build up while driving. It did make me use the clutch more but saved from the CEL to come on.

With time, I know exactly how much back pressure to be allowed or clutch in before it goes on. Guys, try this out and post your findings. You can accelerate on 2nd or 3rd gear and let then let go your foot off the pedal. See if this causes the light to go on.
Old 21st January 2009, 15:38   #73
BHPian

[quote=ankitahuja;1138832]

@shreyas99 - Did your RPM idle go up to 1k after the EML light went on or did you have your foot on the accelerator when you took the picture?

quote]

ankitahuja, you are rite. My RPM too has gone down to almost 0 idling. I had to put my foot down for the pic to look like's teh engine is running .

I wonder why in other posts users have complained of High RPM and FE drop during O2 failure. In my case its the other way round.
Old 21st January 2009, 19:59   #74
BHPian

Hmmm. So this is common when the CEL comes on. Is your speedo working? Anything else that you feel has stopped? Is the car powering well?

The FE reduces since the ECU goes into an open loop and the AFR (Air Fuel ratio) becomes rich. Consumes more fuel but the car runs better too
Old 21st January 2009, 20:17   #75
BHPian

Guys, the snapped speedo cable replacement has rectified the Check Engine Light!

So it wasn't the O2 sensor then!

@ Mods - Can these 2 threads please be merged?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...lfunction.html

Most Viewed