Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2007, 11:40   #1
BHPian

Did I Fry my Esteem Clutch??

yesterday evening was going to drop my dad to the railway station.as usual stuffed the luggage in the boot.the car was in the basement.

with three passengers in the car i took reverse to get onto the road.basement to the road is an incline.

while on the incline the car was finding it difficult to climb in reverse gear.i pressed the accelerator harder.while doing this i found a strange thing happening to the clutch pedal.the clutch pedal was stuck at half it wasnt moving further to release it fully.my leg was fully off the pedal.there was a smell of something burning.

Did i fry the clutch??
if so should i take it to MASS now or can i delay it by another 400 kms.? (2nd service is due at 5k kms) will it be covered under warranty?

the clutch doesnt feel the same anymore..
Old 13th November 2007, 12:06   #2
BHPian

ad75, well sorry to say so, but it does seem that you have fried your clutch. It is best advisable for you to show it to MASS before you lose out on valuable fuel (Mileage drops if the clutch is fried) and of course the chances of a breakdown are also there depending on the extent of damage. Check whether you can wriggle out a warranty replacement for I have heard that the MASS do consider this to be doable.
Old 13th November 2007, 12:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

You sure have fried your clutch buddy. Delaying it for another 400 Kms is risky since this may give way anytime. And what if it does so when you are in an emergency?

Bro, get it rectified asap and get the service done as well; what if it is 400 km short of 5K..
Old 13th November 2007, 12:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

ad75, I'm sorry to hear about what has happened. But since it appears to be a July 2007 model, how could this happen so soon? Definitely it could not have been a single incident of reversing the car on an incline. Do you drive half-clutch most of the times?
In any case, the car warranty should take care of it, but I am not sure if it covers parts subjected to wear and tear.
Old 13th November 2007, 13:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Do you drive half-clutch most of the times?
in bangalore traffic, half clutch is inevitable.still its rare when i drive with half clutch.
Old 13th November 2007, 14:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

From experience, i can say that you can wait unless you are not comfortable with the clutch, in that case take it to your service centre.
Old 13th November 2007, 19:59   #7
BHPian

you fried your esteem-clutch before your second service????
how on earth did you manage to do that???
Old 13th November 2007, 20:07   #8
BHPian

Surprising that the clutch got fried out in such a shorter period. Probably you are using the clutch pedal as a foot rest!!!
Old 13th November 2007, 20:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Maybe a case of poor quality clutch as experienced by many on the Swift petrol .
Old 14th November 2007, 00:34   #10
BHPian

Is one such incident of heavy-loading enough to wear out a clutch!?
Old 14th November 2007, 10:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsun View Post
Probably you are using the clutch pedal as a foot rest!!!
never Dude! this is not my first car.niether am i new to driving.my previous car's clutch was replaced @60k.looks like a faulty clutch.am taking the car to MASS today.lets see what they say.
Old 14th November 2007, 11:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustDevil View Post
Is one such incident of heavy-loading enough to wear out a clutch!?

True, I've had to rock my car (In -froward & reverse) when stuck multiple times, with half clutch and high revvs. Its doubtful a brand new cutch could burn so soon.

Could this be a faulty or poor quality clutch release bearing which went KAPUT !!

Bud I think warranty will definitly cover this,..but my 2 cents of advice...next time pull out of the basement and then load the car with folks & stuff !

Last edited by Torque-ative : 14th November 2007 at 11:22.
Old 19th November 2007, 20:22   #13
BHPian

hey guys,

took my car to MASS today.Suraksha hosur road.

They said the clutch wear due to "overriding" (term used by them) is not covered under warranty.they say exact damage can only be ascertained after opening the clutch.

they did remove the clutch cable & refitted the same after some greasing.the gearbox oil was also filled 200ml.

though the clutch is better now but still am not happy with it.

should i take it to another mass?? anyone?

even if for arguments sake i agree that there was clutch riding etc, is the estemm clutch so fragile that this problem apprears at 4600kms running?

Last edited by ad75 : 19th November 2007 at 20:24.
Old 19th November 2007, 20:55   #14
BHPian

Suggest you get it checked at another location. Also get the pressure plate checked as this has failed on new vehicles.
Old 19th November 2007, 21:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Why not open the clutch assembly and check the plates?If nothing u will have a peace of mind that its either gone or perfectly in shape.U can take the required action after that.IMO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks