Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2004, 21:34   #1
BHPian

Car polish

hi all
i got amway car polish from my fren. i used it once and found it to be good. i have newer used any polish before. what does it do to the paint? at what intervals should we do this. which brand polish is better for white.
Old 16th December 2004, 21:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

hey ravi,
dunno abt amway ,but there are many reliable brands like turtle wax,Valvoline available.
it is said that u shud not wax ur car very often as it cuts through an existing layer to expose the enw layer beacuse of which u get the shine.
maybe once in a quarter is okay.
take care not to do in direct sunlight or when the surface is hot to touch.

ate present i have a polish called Nufinish.
www.nufinish.com
its superbb never seen anything like it before.u can do it in the sun also.and just once is 6 months is enough.
but the worst part is that it is not available locally here.
if u have anyone from the US ,u can get it cheaply there for 7$.

satya
Old 16th December 2004, 23:02   #3
Team-BHP Support

its superbb never seen anything like it before.u can do it in the sun also.and just once is 6 months is enough.

If it's a wax base, you should not try doing this under the sun.
Sorry, there could be whole host of mistakes in posting.
Need some time to understand

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th December 2004 at 23:06.
Old 17th December 2004, 03:23   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
it is said that u shud not wax ur car very often as it cuts through an existing layer to expose the enw layer beacuse of which u get the shine.
maybe once in a quarter is okay.
Hey speedsatya,

Im not so sure i agree with that!
What you must be refering to is any kind of rubbing / abrasive compound which polishes down the clearcoat layer of paint to provide a fresh scratch-free layer which shines.

Correct me if i am wrong, but - Wax on the other hand is not abrasive and will in turn fill those tiny scratches or prevent them from happening all together.

I would say waxing once a month is good if your really into it, or once in 3-4months if your lazy.... (make sure that your using carwax and not some other kinda abrasive cleaner from amway).

cya
R
Old 17th December 2004, 09:25   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you use rubbing compound too often, then its going to be harmful in the long run.

But waxing wont. I try to wax my cars atleast once in 6 weeks and have never had a problem with the paint. On the contrary, they look way superior to other cars of the same vintage.

BTW I wouldnt ever use Amway products on my car.

GTO
Old 17th December 2004, 09:45   #6
BHPian

i've found Auto Glym to the best till now
Old 17th December 2004, 11:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Hey speedsatya,

Im not so sure i agree with that!
What you must be refering to is any kind of rubbing / abrasive compound which polishes down the clearcoat layer of paint to provide a fresh scratch-free layer which shines.

Correct me if i am wrong, but - Wax on the other hand is not abrasive and will in turn fill those tiny scratches or prevent them from happening all together.

I would say waxing once a month is good if your really into it, or once in 3-4months if your lazy.... (make sure that your using carwax and not some other kinda abrasive cleaner from amway).

cya
R

rudra and revv,
regarding the nufinish polish its not a conventional wax based polish,it's a orange oil based polish.that is wat they claim.its written that u can do in direct sunlight ,but i will never do that .i have been regularly using the best Turtle Wax polish.so when i applied this Nufinish,u cud straightway make out the differnce.and the ebst part is that u need not do all the buffing for that extra shine.all u have to do is just wipe off the polish after it dries.

and regarding the wax removing a paint layer,i was told all this by TPC who are into the body polishing line.i was told that however good ,the wax will remove a paint layer.MOREVER ,I WAS TOLD THAT AFTER YU WAX UR CAR DUST PARTICLES EASILY STICK TO IT .i.e tha paint layer and so when u wipe the car next time ,these dust particles will scratch ur paint and in the long run give u swirl marks.
i dont know if he said all this to sell his other body coating products.hehe

and lastly regarding the waxing interval i too do it every month ,but i said abt the 3 months ,because again it was TPC who told me all this.
if i have the time i am ready to do it every week.

Old 17th December 2004, 12:01   #8
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Soft wax polishes do not cut through the paint. Its rubbing compound (soft and hard) which take off a layer of paint. I've polished my bike almost 120 times in 2.5 years and i dont think that even a thin layer has come off the paint. used rubbing compound only 2wice. Have been polishing my bike 2wice a month.

I would suggest either Turtle Wax or Formula One or Eagle products. They are the best. I've tried using Amway car shampoos but found them useless. No foam at all.

About dust particles, yes they do stick more easily on a waxed vehicle. But they will cause scratches only if u try wiping them away with a dry cloth. Use a wet cloth to wipe and u wont get any scratches.
Old 30th December 2004, 11:27   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

well...
i used to wax my cars every time but now i am going to get it done by tpc3 ...
i.e all cars except for my old zen which i got back a couple of days ago ...
its in bad condition and i may sell it off in a couple of months but till then i am using it so if i can get a good polish why not ....
also do u think its worth getting my merc polished from tpc3 ...
its only 2 - 3 months old
Old 30th December 2004, 11:34   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

is carnabua wax a safe option ....
im getting the big one for 150 bucks and it sounds kinda cool ....
has anyone used nanowax ...
where can i get it in bombay ...
thanx in adance ..
oh and whats the price ...
cheers
lambo
Old 30th December 2004, 11:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

hey lambo,
the 150rs wud be a cheap one.go for reputed brands like turtle wax,Autoglym,3M..
U can get the entire range of turle wax products from TPC.they are the ones who supply it all over the country.

the best Turtle Wax Platinum Series wax paste will cost u abt 1150rs for 13oz(368gms)
Old 30th December 2004, 12:25   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

HEY SATYA ..
im getting the carnabua wax for 150 bucks from a retailer friend ...
besides im gonna get some of my cars treated by tpc3 so i wont need the turtle wax then..i just want some wax for my zen whose pics im gonna post soon...
Old 31st December 2004, 00:00   #13
BHPian

hey guys whos tpc3 r they in bombay??? nd wat kinda treatments do they do ny details like web add,contact details,products avail etc.
Old 11th April 2005, 17:22   #14
BHPian

Is Waxpol good? I have a box lying at home. Its a green coloured box with a white paste inside. Dad had it, and i've used it once. Its not the regular dark green waxpol wax, but something different, and its for cars.

TIA,
Simran
Old 11th April 2005, 17:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simran
Is Waxpol good? I.

TIA,
Simran
Somebody - please reply - I have mnade up my mind to buy the polishing product this evening . Which one should I use ?.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed