Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2009, 17:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Stirring up a cold thread here! I want to replace the Servo (20W40, API SC) oil filled by MASS in my car with Shell Helix Super 15W40 (API SL). It is available only in a 4 litre can whereas the capacity of my car (ALTO) is 2.7 litres only. I plan to keep the balance oil in the container tightly sealed and use during the next refill on FIFO basis. The date of mfg is June'09 and my next oil change will be in June'10 (am a low mileage user).

Assuming the use by date will be a few years from mfg date, I want to ensure using the balance oil after one year will be OK. Costs Rs 925 for the can, I don't want to waste it.
Old 5th August 2009, 18:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Shell Helix Super 15W40 (API SL). It is available only in a 4 litre can whereas the capacity of my car (ALTO) is 2.7 litres only.
The website also lists a 3L packing.

Shell in India - Shell Helix Products
Old 5th August 2009, 19:18   #18
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Gansan,

To answer your query, The main factor affecting the life of the unused oil are the conditions under which you store it. Exposure to extreme fluctuations in temperature, and moisture will reduce the shelf life of the stored engine oil.

Mineral based oils have shelf lives of 3 to 4 years and fully synthetic oils last for about 5 years. So long as you keep the remaining oil in its container with the cap screwed on and sealed and away from heat in a cool dark place, the oil will be good to fill in your engine in a year's time.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 5th August 2009, 20:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

The website also lists a 3L packing.

Shell in India - Shell Helix Products
It is listed in their website but they say it has been discontinued, even the 1 litre is not there. Helix is available in 3 & 1 litre packs, and Helix Ultra in 4 & 1 litre packs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Gansan,

To answer your query, The main factor affecting the life of the unused oil are the conditions under which you store it. Exposure to extreme fluctuations in temperature, and moisture will reduce the shelf life of the stored engine oil.

Mineral based oils have shelf lives of 3 to 4 years and fully synthetic oils last for about 5 years. So long as you keep the remaining oil in its container with the cap screwed on and sealed and away from heat in a cool dark place, the oil will be good to fill in your engine in a year's time.

Cheers,
gpa
Thanks gpa. Have purchased the oil today. Planning to visit MASS early tomorrow for the change.

Last edited by Gansan : 5th August 2009 at 20:48.
Old 23rd May 2017, 20:24   #20
BHPian

Re: Shelf life of Engine oil

So after a helluva lot of research and dilemmas over whether to use 5W30 or 5W40, I finally decided to go for Mobil 1 5W30 from Amazon. The seller is some Royal Falcons. They sent me oil that shows manufacturing date as May 2015.
When I checked with Mobil 1 customer care, like all other manufacturers they say 'oh amazon is not a registered seller and so you should only buy from these distributors'.
Now it is in a sealed condition with respect to the plastic cork. I haven't broken that seal yet. Should there be another inner seal I should be checking to ensure there is no adulteration?
I know I could have bought it from petrol pumps too but they leave these cans out on display in the hot sun. I am skeptical about the plastic melting and then dissolving (at least a bit) into the oil. Given the price of synthetic Mobil 1 5W30, I wanted the best.
Old 24th May 2017, 09:06   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryshnon View Post
I know I could have bought it from petrol pumps too but they leave these cans out on display in the hot sun. I am skeptical about the plastic melting and then dissolving (at least a bit) into the oil. Given the price of synthetic Mobil 1 5W30, I wanted the best.
Since the bottle seals are intact, I don't think it will cause any issue. Plastic melting and getting dissolved in oil can is pretty rare scenario (you would need a lot of heat to do this). Synthetics and as such minerals are designed to hold temperatures upwards of 100+ Celsius. So, using couple of years old oil is not going to be a problem at all. Its not like they break down due to exposure to mild UV light of the Sun.

I got my Shell Synthetic too with couple of years old printed in its label. I checked the seal and it was good as new. Used it for 8000+ Kms without an issue. Tried seeing if there were change in color through a clear glass and could not make any. Tried running a drop of it on the back of clear scale and compared it with a sample of recent manufacturing date and they both moved same distance in a specific time (desi viscometer experiment ). Synthetics are notorious for becoming gummy over time when exposed to moist air and humid conditions.

If peace of mind is what you are after, return and ask for latest product.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 19:14   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Since the bottle seals are intact, I don't think it will cause any issue. Plastic melting and getting dissolved in oil can is pretty rare scenario (you would need a lot of heat to do this). Synthetics and as such minerals are designed to hold temperatures upwards of 100+ Celsius. So, using couple of years old oil is not going to be a problem at all. Its not like they break down due to exposure to mild UV light of the Sun.

I got my Shell Synthetic too with couple of years old printed in its label. I checked the seal and it was good as new. Used it for 8000+ Kms without an issue. Tried seeing if there were change in color through a clear glass and could not make any. Tried running a drop of it on the back of clear scale and compared it with a sample of recent manufacturing date and they both moved same distance in a specific time (desi viscometer experiment ). Synthetics are notorious for becoming gummy over time when exposed to moist air and humid conditions.

If peace of mind is what you are after, return and ask for latest product.
I just wanted to take a second opinion before keeping it. It is just that after paying 5k for a 4L can I didn't want to rush to uncork it and lose the option of returning in case I needed to.
Old 25th January 2024, 12:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

I ordered Shell Helix Ultra 0W 20 from boodmo and they delievered the oil but it is dated Nov 2022. Shall I accept it or try and get another unit from them. The part is non-returnable so not sure if they will accept anything? The oil is for my 2019 petrol Swift MT.

Thanks.
Old 25th January 2024, 16:41   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I ordered Shell Helix Ultra 0W 20 from boodmo and they delievered the oil but it is dated Nov 2022. Shall I accept it or try and get another unit from them. The part is non-returnable so not sure if they will accept anything? The oil is for my 2019 petrol Swift MT.

Thanks.
Shelf life of Engine Oil in unopened containers and away from harsh heat/cold:

Mineral: 5 years

Semi-synthetic/synthetic: 7-8 years

Last edited by mithun : 25th January 2024 at 16:42.
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed