Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2008, 14:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I could go on all day posting links, but you dont need to be an agricultural economist to see the truth.
As others have pointed out, I was talking about the Indian context. My family has several farmers (who grow paddy, areca, coconut, coffee, coca etc among other things). None of them have seen prices going up..period. Its only the consumers who see high prices. So the problem is elsewhere.
Old 11th April 2008, 14:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

See this for prices of edible oils.

Bio-diesel-document2.jpg
Old 11th April 2008, 15:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

The Indian price chart confirms what we are saying. Prices of Groundnut Oil have risen the most - nothing to do with Biodiesel production - and it is widely known that there were serious problems with Groundnut crop last year (entirely produced within India, no imports).

Internationally, Palm Oil used for Biodiele has risen the least whereas Rapeeed (also used for Biodiesel, but grown almost entirely in Europe & US) have risen dramatically.

Please keep in mind that commodity price rises are also being blamed on the US dollar's depreciation against major world currencies and the price rises are only adjustments to take care of changed currency price parities.
Old 11th April 2008, 15:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have the Autofuel policy roadmap by Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Government Of India. But it only talks about the fuel quality and emmission standards.

This is what the government plans/ planned.

Earlier Initiatives of Govt. of India
• Planning Commission submitted a report on development of Biofuel in June 2003
• Proposed launch of “National Mission on Biodiesel” to address socio-economic and environmental concerns
• By 2006-07, Phase 1-Demonstration project
•Commercial viability of 5% biodiesel blend in diesel
•Plantation of Jatropha curcas in 2.19 Mha land to meet 2.62 MTPA requirement of Biodiesel
• By 2011-12, Phase 2-Self sustaining expansion
•Proposed a biodiesel blend of 20% in diesel
•Plantation of Jatropha curcas in 11.19 Mha land to meet 13.38 MTPA requirement of Biodiesel
• Program could not take off as envisaged

New Initiatives of Govt. of India
• Biodiesel Purchase policy issued-1st Jan, 2006
• National Biofuels policy is under finalisation
• Draft biofuels policy envisages the following*
•Utilization of wide range of bio-crops for production
•Ethanol-Sugar cane, sweet sorghum, cassava, maize
•Biodiesel-Jatropha and Pongamia pinnata (karanja)
•Setting up of “National Biofuels Development Board” to develop roadmap for use of biofuels
•Revised indicative target for 5% and 10% biodiesel blending in diesel by 2012 and 2017 respectively
• It is envisaged that 10% ethanol blending in motor gasoline will be started in the near future subject to availability of ethanol (1.12 M Kl required)
*Biofuels scenario in India, 4th International biofuels conference, New Delhi, Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Does anyone have information on the Government's position on implementation of biodiesel blends? And ethanol blends with petrol? I'd hitherto thought we were being sold a mandatory blend of 10% ethanol in our petrol, but apparently this was rolled back? Has a new date been set?
Old 11th April 2008, 15:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well guys we have wholly missed the topic here. Well its just that biodiesel can have another thread right. Help our guy get an answer for his query.
Well dude i dont think you will be able to run your vehicle with bio diesel. Very few companies have made tests on their vehicles with this fuel. I do remember Mercs were testing their C class with bio diesel but have not heard of TATA doing the same
Old 11th April 2008, 16:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio is now available using Biodiesel.

Tata Motors and Ashok Leyland have STC buses running on Biodiesel.

I have seen Indica Cool Cab taxis running on Biodiesel in Bombay city.

Merc ran its car on Biodiesel on a long Indian trip.

You can run your car on Biodiesel (B20), as long as you can procure it, and you are no worried about warranties.
Old 11th April 2008, 16:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Here is the Indica Biodiesel taxi I saw in Bombay city

Bio-diesel-dsc00042.jpg

Maybe a good idea to call him up and find out where he is getting his BD from, and problems if any?
Old 5th January 2009, 19:35   #23
BHPian

Is there a Bio-diesel outlet in bangalore? Something like a retail store....

Also wanted to know if there is anyone running their Diesel gensets on bio-diesels. Any pointers, would be helpfull.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks