Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2007, 20:58   #1
BHPian

Starting a Palio - Diesel after 11 months on inactivity

Dear All,

I am itching to start actively using my Palio D which has been lying around for the past 11 months . This was due to my extended unplanned stay in UK which at start did not require for me to disconnect the battery etc as the trip was scheduled for 3 months. IHowever before doing that I would like to get some inputs from this vibrant group
  • Since my trip was scheduled for 3 months, I have not got the car serviced before I left for UK as the servicing of the car was done only a couple of months ago with 3k kms run. Now it's more than 1 year that the vital fluids have been changed in the car, do you guys recommend any specific precautions that I need to take while starting the car so that I can drive her to the service station for the service. The service station would be around 40kms from the place I stay?
  • While leaving the car back in India, I have filled the car up with Fuel (Speed -- diesel) to the Brim and the car has been started ONLY a couple of times by a friend of mine. So is it still fine to use this diesel to start the car. I think I might not be in a position to drain the fuel of the tank as my car is parked in a apartment garage and it holds 40+ liters on the present day.The battery has died and I would need to replace the existing battery. This has been confirmed by Exide guys.
  • who have come take the battery to recharge. I am planning to go for a 55 Din Amaron battery. So can you please provide me the exact specifications of this battery so that I can pick it from Amaron Pit stop the day I return to India without again groping for the specs. Is 55Din lingo understood by the dealer?
  • Do I need to take any precuations while connecting the battery. Will the sudden current surge from the battery be fatal to any electronic components?
  • I am planning to get the engine oil changed to synthetic ? Is it recommended or would the normal mineral oil be fine(my car has run 36k kms)? In addition to this I would be getting the coolent and the brake fluid changed? Will this suffice or do I need to look at something else also?
Best Regards
Shiva
Cyberdoctorind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2007, 22:40   #2
BHPian

Nothing, Major Just Change the Battery and perform check list steps : Check the Tyres, If not driven they might have lost Preassure- Plus parked in one place so Ideally you should lower the Handbrake and push the car a few meters and push back a few meters.

For In Hood operation, Just check the Oil level with Dipstick and Coolant level. Everything else should be OK as you left it. Just clean the Webs or broken leaves that may have accumalated in the bay.

With the new battery in place, First power her up- let the System check itself and wait till the Glow Plug indicator turns off- It did that in my UNO. Then start her up...Don't rev for the first 5-6 min let her Idle and settle to the regular RPM, You can Rev up after the Temp needle is steady and RPM has settled to the ideal range.

Based on the condition of the Tyres, go fill her up with Air and visit a service station to grease and wash the car body..And you're all set.

You may need to change the Brake Fluid since it has tendency to absorb moisture over period of time, You can check with the service station.

You can also try Castrol Magnatec Semi Synthetic or Mobil 1 synthetic...Purely your call....Still unconvinced for Synthetic in my case.
wolfinstein is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2007, 23:00   #3
BHPian

Change every single fluid in your car.

Trust me on this change every fluid in your car including the wiper fluid. As far as the diesel in the tank is concerned throw it away or sell it. I hope you know that the achilles heel of the Fiat Palio diesel is the diesel fuel injector pump. The Diesel in your tank would have denatured completely in these 11 months and your best bet is to offer it to some taxi fellow using the Matador engine. He would gladly take it for half the price.

Din is the term used by battery dealers in India to describe the size and shape of the battery for new generation cars. din 55 is the right choice for you but you might have to cut the plastic base plate to fit the battery if the original battery was Din 50.
Bye and wear your seat belts.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2007, 15:08   #4
BHPian

hi

hi, first try to relive the battery
drain the battery completely. then recharge it with distilled water and charge with percolation charging/trickle charging<3-4 amps14 v charging for 72 hrs
most probabely it will get charged to the fullest.
drain all the diesel.
fill new diesel
<u can use the old diesel in 2-5 lit everytime u fill tankfull <2-3 lits in 40 44 lit of fresh diesel >
crank the engine just short of starting for some time
after 10 -12 cranks the oil is circulated properly
then start the engine
keep the eye on oil pressure light <it should go off as soon the engine idles <if doesnt raise the rpm slightly ,, if still the light glows put theengine off and call the dealer person >
if the light goes off then keep the engine idling for 10 20 minutes then raise the rpm gradually

keep me poste..

din 55 battery is not available with amron raja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
Dear All,

I am itching to start actively using my Palio D which has been lying around for the past 11 months . This was due to my extended unplanned stay in UK which at start did not require for me to disconnect the battery etc as the trip was scheduled for 3 months. IHowever before doing that I would like to get some inputs from this vibrant group
  • Since my trip was scheduled for 3 months, I have not got the car serviced before I left for UK as the servicing of the car was done only a couple of months ago with 3k kms run. Now it's more than 1 year that the vital fluids have been changed in the car, do you guys recommend any specific precautions that I need to take while starting the car so that I can drive her to the service station for the service. The service station would be around 40kms from the place I stay?
  • While leaving the car back in India, I have filled the car up with Fuel (Speed -- diesel) to the Brim and the car has been started ONLY a couple of times by a friend of mine. So is it still fine to use this diesel to start the car. I think I might not be in a position to drain the fuel of the tank as my car is parked in a apartment garage and it holds 40+ liters on the present day.The battery has died and I would need to replace the existing battery. This has been confirmed by Exide guys.
  • who have come take the battery to recharge. I am planning to go for a 55 Din Amaron battery. So can you please provide me the exact specifications of this battery so that I can pick it from Amaron Pit stop the day I return to India without again groping for the specs. Is 55Din lingo understood by the dealer?
  • Do I need to take any precuations while connecting the battery. Will the sudden current surge from the battery be fatal to any electronic components?
  • I am planning to get the engine oil changed to synthetic ? Is it recommended or would the normal mineral oil be fine(my car has run 36k kms)? In addition to this I would be getting the coolent and the brake fluid changed? Will this suffice or do I need to look at something else also?
Best Regards
Shiva
TURBOSAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2007, 07:14   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran
Din is the term used by battery dealers in India to describe the size and shape of the battery for new generation cars.
Doc : Please give more info about "Din" in the case of battery.
Old 22nd November 2007, 23:05   #6
BHPian

I think this should answer your query.

STARTER BATTERY FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS 4.0 CONTENTS

www.vdcelectronics.com/press_room/Starter%20Battery.pdf

Choose Your Region and LanguageÂ*-Â*Midtronics - Battery Management Innovation-Battery Testers, Battery Chargers

http://www.midtronics.com/pdf/power_...05_manual.pdf.

Pacific Power Batteries - About Automotive Batteries

YOu will have to paste the links in google search; as clicking directly on the link gives a "page not found" line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Doc : Please give more info about "Din" in the case of battery.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 22nd November 2007 at 23:14.
Old 23rd November 2007, 01:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Rings

Quote:
crank the engine just short of starting for some time
after 10 -12 cranks the oil is circulated properly
then start the engine
Change the oil and all other fluids. DO NOT START the engine until you have cranked it several times. I would do it 50 times. This will circulate the new oil and gently remove rust that probably now has started in your engine, particularly the rings. If you start it up with rusty rings YOU WILL DAMAGE THE ENGINE.

If you get it started and it runs okay you should also change the oil
again in about 500-1000K to get the rust, dirt, spiders and snakes out of your engine.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2007, 09:41   #8
Team-BHP Support

Indica is rated for a 55Ah battery I think, but I got the highest spec battery, the 65Ah one. Go for that if you want a new battery. Excellent service these Amaron guys have.
As for diesel in the tank, drain it out, and if possible get the fuel tank cleaned. If your fuel pump goes its very expensive to repair and spares may not be available.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks