Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2007, 13:48   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Petrol? What's that? Oh! Some stuff that a few other cars run on, I guess!

Sure; distinction noted --- and I would put higher-octane fuel (engine spec allowing) into a petrol car: as I said, I found it, ultimately, cheaper on running costs.
Old 20th November 2007, 14:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Premuim Diesel surely increase the smoothness in the car but they kill the fuel efficiency and create smoke.

For first 3.5 years in my Indica I used Normal Diesel no additive, and I was getting 18-19 KM/L, then I switched to Turbojet, and heck no remarkable improvement. Used it for 1.5 yrs, and mileage degraded to 13km/L during the time. Now from last 6 months I am again using Normal Diesel, mileage came back to 17-18KM/L. I use System-D, every 3rd or 4th tank Full.
Old 20th November 2007, 14:36   #18
BHPian

Yep the premium diesel smokes too much. So i am sticking with the normal one
Old 20th November 2007, 16:39   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Sure; distinction noted --- and I would put higher-octane fuel (engine spec allowing) into a petrol car: as I said, I found it, ultimately, cheaper on running costs.
It may be an old thread, but here goes either ways : Linky. At the old prices, I had found Speed93 to work out cheaper on the Vtec too.
Old 20th November 2007, 17:14   #20
BHPian

Hows does the premium / non premium diesels affect the engine's formance ? Can anyone share knowledge ??
Old 20th November 2007, 17:23   #21
BHPian

To the Auto Gurus here,

An Indica turbo engine with intercooler can prove effecient ( healthy engine ) and effective ( healthy FE ) under which of the below mentioned conditions in the long term ( 60 months is ideally long term here )

1. Premium deisel from reputed pump for all of life.

2. Ordinary fuel from reputed pump + system D once every 5 tank fill-ups.

Your views will be appreciated. Looking foward.

Thank you.
Old 22nd November 2007, 13:35   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Whats the whole reason behind premium diesels smoking more?I thought additives would reduce that aspect and make the engine smoother.

I have been using Turbojet in my previous diesels Qualis and Endeavour. In both cases i found the engine to be more responsive when running on Turbojet.

Since i have just got a new BMW 525 diesel i am confused on what i should be using, i have just filled her with twice till now both times was with Turbojet and the FE has been on the rise.
Old 22nd November 2007, 13:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

What does BMW recommend ?
Old 22nd November 2007, 13:53   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post
To the Auto Gurus here,

An Indica turbo engine with intercooler can prove effecient ( healthy engine ) and effective ( healthy FE ) under which of the below mentioned conditions in the long term ( 60 months is ideally long term here )

1. Premium deisel from reputed pump for all of life.

2. Ordinary fuel from reputed pump + system D once every 5 tank fill-ups.

Your views will be appreciated. Looking foward.

Thank you.
After doing experiements i will recommend option 2 or just normal brew (diesel or pertrol), UNLESS the manufacturer (read:NOT dealers) specifically insists or you are running some performance kits which require the same.
Old 22nd November 2007, 18:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

My friend owns a 740li and he once filled Power. The car gave him all sorts of trouble, like jerking, longer starting time, knocking etc. When he took it to the garage the Been guys asked him if he had used the premium fuel. When he said yes, they cleaned the tank & the fuel line thoroughly and flushed the fuel line etc. and strictly asked him to use only normal fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:49   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I checked up with "Maverick5490" who is a BMW Service Engineer at Navnit Motors and he recommends diesel with additives if u stick to one brand like Turbojet or Speed diesel.

Last edited by Sahil : 23rd November 2007 at 10:51.
Old 23rd November 2007, 12:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

whats system d .how is it used.what i feel abuot premium diesels are that they dont allow carbon deposites in the engine and so the soot is given out as smoke.that maybe the reason for smokking.the normal diesel allows carbon to be deposited in the engine an other related parts ,so less smoke,
what is your opinion guys,

ram
Old 23rd November 2007, 17:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

I have used both premium & regular diesel on my Octavia 1.9 TDi & Accent Viva CRDi, Scorpio 2.6, even Indica V2. I have never had any issues of excessive smoke (even under hard acceleration), starting trouble, knocking etc . I guess it may have something to do with driving style.

But regular diesel does just fine, there is hardly any noticeable difference in performance between regular & premium.

Point to note :- my car/s are religously serviced every 5000 kms or 6 months whichever is earlier. This includes the engine oil change, oil filter change & fuel filter change. The Fuel filter I feel is a neglected part. Many a times people avoid changing that - which may be the culprit for excessive smoke etc. etc.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 23rd November 2007 at 17:31.
Old 26th November 2007, 12:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I checked up with "Maverick5490" who is a BMW Service Engineer at Navnit Motors and he recommends diesel with additives if u stick to one brand like Turbojet or Speed diesel.
Ok then that should be fine . Btw you need additives even when using premium Diesel? I though they would contain these additives already ?
Old 26th November 2007, 12:36   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok then that should be fine . Btw you need additives even when using premium Diesel? I though they would contain these additives already ?
I meant, Diesel with additives = Premium Diesel.

Most Viewed