Team-BHP - Tata Indica - List of problems
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Tata Indica - List of problems (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/31522-tata-indica-list-problems-8.html)

Someone please reply to my previous query.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adityamunshi (Post 814393)
My indica seems to be losing power in the afternoons when its very hot. Is this normal ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by adityamunshi (Post 818706)
Someone please reply to my previous query.

Losing power means that engine is overheating.
Overheating can be due to a number of causes.
1.Cooling system issues
Either your fan has gone kaput or some fuse has gone kaput or thermostat has gone kaput and its not telling the system to start the fan. If your temp gauge does not go above half way mark and the fan does not come on its a thermostat problem. It could also be some issue with radiator
2. Engine issues.
Mixture setting, gasket issues blah blah. But thats rare. How much has your car run?

I dont think the engine is overheating, the temp indicator remains just below the halfway mark, occasionally crossing it. And I can hear the fan starting when it does.

Another thing i've noticed is that the steering becomes very heavy when this happens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 818813)
Losing power means that engine is overheating.
Overheating can be due to a number of causes.
1.Cooling system issues
Either your fan has gone kaput or some fuse has gone kaput or thermostat has gone kaput and its not telling the system to start the fan. If your temp gauge does not go above half way mark and the fan does not come on its a thermostat problem. It could also be some issue with radiator
2. Engine issues.
Mixture setting, gasket issues blah blah. But thats rare. How much has your car run?

Could be the power steering/alternator belt overloading the engine.
Get your power steering pump checked.
And how much as your car done?

It is just about to cross 70 K. I think the power steering belt/pump is more likely to be the problem because lately the steering is behaving erratically. Sometimes its light, and at times very difficult to move.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 818984)
Could be the power steering/alternator belt overloading the engine.
Get your power steering pump checked.
And how much as your car done?

I suspect the power steering pump is loading the engine.
This often happens due to faulty bearings.
Get it checked as ignoring this problem can lead to power steering failure which is expensive repair.

Okay, thanks Tanveer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 819035)
I suspect the power steering pump is loading the engine.
This often happens due to faulty bearings.
Get it checked as ignoring this problem can lead to power steering failure which is expensive repair.

My 04indica lsi..barely done 19k,has been acting damn weird recently.
On starting the car,at idling(which is normally 1k)..the rev drops to abt 700 800 n goes back up..the engine basically stuttering.
its like this periodic fluctuation which stops,after driving for a bit.

another thing is that the fuel level drops to zero on its own..randomly,n slowly comes back up.cant figure out what the issue is,gotta go get it checked..any leads??

the third issue is while takin a slow left turn,the car jerks..with weird noises comin from the front left side.The mechanic said its a axle hub issue when he just heard me describe it..is he right?

I have the same problem that @adityamunshi has plus a couple more and I have done only 30K on my Indica

I have to always upshift at over 30 km/hr to 3rd and keep it there and similarly for 4th , I have to make sure I am above 45 km/hr, otherwise even going downhill the car starts jerking at the slightest throttle input

Another problem is that there is absolutely no damping from any of the shocks even though I have treated the car well, TASC says that I need to replace both the front struts - how can I confirm that indeed they are kaput.

For the rear, I am asked to replace the rear wheel bearing since one of them is broken, this I have to believe them. But can I also fit a better shock for the rear, any idea if there are gas charged shocks for the Indica

thanks,
ramna

Aditya, has your power loss problem been solved?
Eager to know the outcome.

My car has a similar power loss problem, becomes a pain to drive during hot summer days with the A/C on. Diagnosis? Faulty compressor close to the end of its life.

Solution (i.e. changing the compressor) is going to cost around 25k all inclusive so I think I'll live with driving with the A/C off whenever needed!

There was nothing wrong with the Power steering except a leaking pipe. Havent got that corrected yet but surprisingly, the problem has disappeared recently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupmathur (Post 831582)
Aditya, has your power loss problem been solved?
Eager to know the outcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 831848)
My car has a similar power loss problem, becomes a pain to drive during hot summer days with the A/C on. Diagnosis? Faulty compressor close to the end of its life.

Solution (i.e. changing the compressor) is going to cost around 25k all inclusive so I think I'll live with driving with the A/C off whenever needed!

New Surbos compressor costs 7800 in sec 16 noida

Could somebody please help me out with some answers for my query ?

Thanks,
ramna

Would a Subros Comp be Plug and Work for a Ford Ikon, or does it need a completely new system, A friends Ikon has a faulty comp which needs to be replaced.