Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2007, 08:42   #16
BHPian

Hi All,

Thanks for the reply. However, I am still couldn't get out of confusion.

I have decided to go for 20K service, as I get my airfilter cleaned atleast once a month, when I get car washed from service station, with comressed air. All the lubricant level will get checked before every long trip(more than 300+KMs).

regards,
-manju
Old 21st November 2007, 09:16   #17
BHPian

Consult the book that came along with your purchase. There needs to be a service at 15k according to the manual. Only after 20k there's a 10k interval.
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey
Consult the book that came along with your purchase. There needs to be a service at 15k according to the manual. Only after 20k there's a 10k interval.
As per the Swift-P manual, after 10000kms, the service is at 10K km intervals. MUL does not even suggest a 5K km service interval.
Old 23rd November 2007, 12:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

eh? i thought my manual said after 10k it was to be serviced at 20k. i am at 15k now and am confused after reading this thread.need to go take a look at my manual once again
Old 23rd November 2007, 15:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

deathwalkr, this thread should have cleared your confusion, not added to it. What you thought your manual said, is correct - your next service is at 20K kms.

However, if you have the time/effort/dough to spare and if you happen to be the kind of guy who never opens the bonnet to check the fluids/airflter etc, you could go for a 15K quick-check (I would not call it a service) at your service centre. Sort of like preventive maintenance, though it is not really required as per MUL.
Old 23rd November 2007, 16:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

cool ok i think that makes sense and well am working on putting up a green cotton wind air filter to my beast and well shall give it for service after that i guess
Old 23rd November 2007, 17:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Dont u guys think the engine oil maruti uses like servo/mobil(mineral oils) should be changed every 5000 km.If not a service,people who use the OE maruti oils should change it every 5000 km?
Also service every 5000 km will lead to spark plugs being cleaned and regapped/air filter cleaned/ignition points cleaned and everything checked and the car cleaned from inside and outside.How much does it take anway?500 to 600 bucks for a general service.Why not go ahead with a 5000 km service and get everything checked/cleaned and have a peace of mind?
I know maruti knows its cars well and hence it recommends a 10 k service interval but does the performance of the car not change after you come out of the 5 k service?Sure it does and that makes the car more fun to drive and i m sure spending a little on your car every 5 k is something everyone would be happy if the returns are good.
Old 23rd November 2007, 22:43   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

First service after 1 month; second service after 6 months or 5,000Km (Swift VDI).

So third service at 15,000Km?

That's a 10,000Km interval, but added to 5 only. Could this be giving rise to the confusion?

In Europe, service intervals are much longer: 10,000 miles or 12,000 even on some cars --- but I guess the roads and climate are less punishing
Old 1st December 2007, 16:53   #24

I have a Maruti Swift purchased in November 06. This is my first vehicle and do not know much about servicing intervals. I have done only 4000 kms in the past 1 year and have already used up my three free service which were required to be done in one six and twelve month intervals. Engine Oil and oil filter were changed in the first and third service. Do I need to get my car serviced at 5000 kms, get my engine oil and filter changed at the same odo reading. At what time do you recommend I get my swift serviced.
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:33   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand_A View Post
I have a Maruti Swift purchased in November 06. This is my first vehicle and do not know much about servicing intervals. I have done only 4000 kms in the past 1 year and have already used up my three free service which were required to be done in one six and twelve month intervals. Engine Oil and oil filter were changed in the first and third service. Do I need to get my car serviced at 5000 kms, get my engine oil and filter changed at the same odo reading. At what time do you recommend I get my swift serviced.
Every six months or 5000 kms whichever comes sooner. In your case, if your usage is ~4000 km per year, keep getting it serviced every six months regardless of the odometer reading.
Old 3rd December 2007, 15:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Manufacturers today just need to sell cars. 10K kms is to make u feel that this car is maintenance free.
IMO,It would be healthier for the engine if oil is changed at 5-8k kms.
When U're changing oil at 10k kms, the oil has lost all its properties and is almost at the end of its life.This is the point where most of the engine wear&tear occurs.
So, the trick for engine longevity is to change oil at every 8000 kms.So, when U cut down the last 2k kms in an oil change interval,the engine is being well taken care of at all times.

Now, whether this practice makes sense for U is dependent on how long U're gonna keep the car. If U're gonna sell the car in 3-4yrs/40-60k kms,then why would U care about the engine life longevity unless U love ur car and like to pamper her.
For those like me who have cars for 100,000kms/200,000 kms , this would make every bit of sense.
4 litres of oil(mineral/semi-synth), an oil filter is gonna cost around a thousand bucks.This is peanuts to the engine life u're getting in return.
Old 3rd December 2007, 15:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

I see your point, nitrous. And me being a guy for whom his bikes/cars are for keeps, I see the value in your post. However, I have few questions :

1. A car manufacturer can't just say do oil change every xxx kms, without proper research into the life of engine oil vis-a-vis their engines. Else, there could be cases where the engine croaks because they said change at 10k kms, while the oil was good only for 7k kms.

Also, we buy a car because we trust it to be good, which actually is a trust in the manufacturer. So, it would be only normal to trust their service schedule too, right ?

2. Is there any data available (from say oil companies or testing group etc) on the length of time (in kms) that the normal mineral oil holds good ? I mean, we have guys changing oil at 3500km, 5000km, 10000km (me) and now you suggest 8000kms. If we had some real data, then we could stick to that instead of going by the manufacturer.
Old 4th December 2007, 22:14   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Every six months or 5000 kms whichever comes sooner. In your case, if your usage is ~4000 km per year, keep getting it serviced every six months regardless of the odometer reading.
So u mean I get my car serviced at next odo reading of 9000kms or 6 months from now. When do I need to replace the engine oil and oil filter. I had it replaced in my third service.
Old 3rd January 2010, 20:05   #29

Hey Guys, Still holding the confusion whether to opt for the 15K service or not. This is the service suggested by the dealer and not the manufacturer. The engine Oil should be able to sustain 10k Kms of drive and the as said the air filter should only needs to be cleaned, where the car has been driven in dusty area needs a cleaning. I would go for 10k Service for my Swift Diesel though recommended for 5k by the dealer. Happy driving
Old 6th January 2010, 01:51   #30
BHPian

If all they do is clean the air filter, that can be done by yourself also (which i already do)

Oil change also is done outside at Castrol PitStop.

Why give it for servicing unless something is broken. All they do it refill your wiper fluid. DUH !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks