Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2007, 14:50   #1
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Does Swift requires to be serviced at 15,000 KMs?

Hi,

I was of the thought, that Swift requires service once in 10,000KMs. However, Mandovi Motors(Wilson Garden, Bangalore), has put a sticker on my windshield to remind me to get the car serviced at 15,000KMs.

From manual I see the car needs to be serviced at every 10,000KMs or 6 months, which ever earlier.

In my case, 10,000KMs service was 3 months back and now my odd is nearly 16,000KMs.

Please enlightme on this requirement of service at 15,000KMs.

regards,
-manju
Old 20th November 2007, 14:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think the petrol Swift needs to be serviced at 10K intervals, but the diesel one at 5K intervals. Maybe they put the wrong sticker.
Old 20th November 2007, 14:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I think the petrol Swift needs to be serviced at 10K intervals, but the diesel one at 5K intervals. Maybe they put the wrong sticker.
Isnt it the other way round?
Old 20th November 2007, 15:01   #4
Team-BHP Support

after 10 k both have 10 k intervals, dealers though will ask to service at 15k, so its owners discretion.
Old 20th November 2007, 15:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Is it true. Then pardon me. I thought that all petrol cars have to serviced at intervals recommended by manufacturer, which in almost cars is 10K.
Old 20th November 2007, 15:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

From My observation Most of the service centers recommend service at 5k as they say that in city this is the right interval & company recomened for cities where you have less traffic. I dont buy this idea though. Its IMHO for making more money from frequent Services
Old 20th November 2007, 15:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
From My observation Most of the service centers recommend service at 5k as they say that in city this is the right interval & company recomened for cities where you have less traffic. I dont buy this idea though. Its IMHO for making more money from frequent Services
Of course, shorter service intervals than recommended are usually to get more money.
Old 20th November 2007, 15:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I have a different view though..

A good practise is to service cars at 5K intervals to ensure a clean air filter as also ensure lubrication of all important parts.. However, most modern cars have a larger service intervals owing to their superior design.

If the vehicle is used in dusty environment, then a 5K service interval must be followed, but otherwise you could stick to the manufacturers advice..

I doubt a dealer is interested in making more money by asking you to bring the car every 5K kms.. rather park your car there and pay him rentals as well..!

Such methods in this day and age! BTW.. do you know how much money a dealer makes out of a car service??
Old 20th November 2007, 15:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I have a different view though..

BTW.. do you know how much money a dealer makes out of a car service??
At least I do not know and would appreciate if you could let us know. But what is certainly true that for a dealer, service segment profitability is not driven by profits on 1 car, but on volumes because of the high fixed and employee cost involved. Plus a markup on each spare and parts sold.
Old 20th November 2007, 16:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

@headers: I agree that under dusty & rough driving conditions 5k is reasonable running to geta vehicle serviced. Its just that I see this as becoming a standard in all cities irrespective of the driving conditions.

I dont know how much they make in Service but what I know for sure is that dealers these days dont make much in Sales & most of their earnings is through Service than through Sales.
Old 20th November 2007, 16:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Consider service labour charges at Rs. 200-300 per hour for 8 hours/day and the daily figure is Rs. 1600-2400 per manday (Toyota charges Rs. 275-290/hr.). By comparison, how much would the service mechanic make in salary.

This is an OT, but most of a service stations' cost is in fixed assets and employees, and they need to have high volumes to recover those costs.
Old 20th November 2007, 16:31   #12
Team-BHP Support

I understand cleaning air filter every 5K in a city like Delhi, but why service every 5K.
The recommendation from manufacturer is 10K.
If we say 5K is good, then why not 1K, or service every 10kms? Whats the logic behind 5K. Why is it not 5.5K, or 3.5K or 6K?

Normally cars have service intervals listed, as well as air filter service intervals also listed. Air filter cleaning and replacement intervals are variable, but for the oil change, its good enough to stick to manufacturer intervals
Old 20th November 2007, 16:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and they need to have high volumes to recover those costs.
Exactly My point frequent Service means more services which in turn means High volumes for servicing.
Old 20th November 2007, 16:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

I don't know about other brands, but MUL service centres definitely insist on this service-every-5K-km thing, which like many here, I do not buy. The manufacturer knows the car best and if they say it has to be serviced every 10K kms, why should it be serviced at 5K intervals just because the dealer wants us to ?

Every time I go for service they say bring it back after 5K kms. After many times of pointless arguments, now I know better and just say OK. But the next time my car sees the service centre would be after 10k kms only.

@headers, I agree about the air-filter thing. But cleaning an airfilter is pretty easy stuff that anyone can do at home, by going through the manual. Why would you spend around 500-750 bucks for that and more importantly a day of your time at the service centre ?
Old 20th November 2007, 20:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

www.marutiudyog.com suggests service intervals of 7500 kms for Swift when you go in and register your car as swift. I presume this is for Swift Petrol.
Hence you have got a reminder for 15000 km servicing. I have got the next servicing reminder only for 20K km (the last one was for 10000 km) and mine is a swift D.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks