Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2007, 14:33   #16
BHPian

Thanks.

Judging from the replies on this post, it seems that it's something that exists with all Ford Ikon models. If that's the case then it's probably something that can be ignored.

I don't think it's a really major issue, since the vehicle had been certified by the local Ford dealer before delivery. I'll however get it checked once again.

Thanks.
Old 19th June 2013, 09:29   #17
BHPian

Re: A loud 'thud' sound whenever my Ford Ikon passes over potholes on the road.

Sorry folks for hijacking the thread, i am have a similar problem whenever my Santro passes through pothole there is a loud "thud" noise from the front suspension. The car has clocked about 40,000 kms.

Would appreciate your inputs.

BR

Amit

Last edited by amitpunjani : 19th June 2013 at 09:29. Reason: Typo
Old 19th June 2013, 09:48   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Yeah...even mine too. I have 2004 Ikon Flair. Done around 15K kms. It also gives a loud thud sound when even you gove over a hump >25kmph. But it is okay and managable.
You go over a speedbreaker at over 25 kmph ? Please don't do that as you will destroy the suspension. It is dangerous also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars View Post
- now,...drive onto an empty and straight road and while the car is going steadily and straight folloing an imaginary or the painted line, leave your hands off the steering wheel (do this preferably below 35 kmph)
- the car must traverse a straight line and not pull towards one side.

then, if you hear the thud sound and if you have a ford, live with the sound.
else change your suspension bushes.

this is more than enough for the daily drivers.
The road can be cambered so this test may not hold true.

I also think the bushes might have got worn out. The wear on the bushes is not totally determined by mileage but by the number of years and driving conditions also.

I advise you guys just to go slowly. The sound that you hear tells you that the car is getting to it's limit of suspension travel.
Old 19th June 2013, 10:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
You go over a speedbreaker at over 25 kmph ? Please don't do that as you will destroy the suspension. It is dangerous also.

I also think the bushes might have got worn out. The wear on the bushes is not totally determined by mileage but by the number of years and driving conditions also.
This might be the most probable cause. During my earlier days with swift I use to drive with complete disregard to bumps and potholes and now i drwive with damaged bushes. MASS quoted approx 5k to replace both the front bushes but i am keeping them as it is for some time. I drive lot more like a sane person now!
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 00:08   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Sorry folks for hijacking the thread, i am have a similar problem whenever my Santro passes through pothole there is a loud "thud" noise from the front suspension. The car has clocked about 40,000 kms.

Would appreciate your inputs.

BR

Amit
Do you also hear a sound from the suspension when you turn the wheel? (Stationery car)
Get it checked at the Service Center and replace the required parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
This might be the most probable cause. During my earlier days with swift I use to drive with complete disregard to bumps and potholes and now i drwive with damaged bushes. MASS quoted approx 5k to replace both the front bushes but i am keeping them as it is for some time. I drive lot more like a sane person now!
Would recommend you to go ahead and change the bushes. You are just putting strain on the other suspension components. I guess that will also affect tyre wear. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 21st June 2013, 11:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adishenoy View Post
Would recommend you to go ahead and change the bushes. You are just putting strain on the other suspension components. I guess that will also affect tyre wear. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Would have changed them but the local authorities in Gurgaon re-laid all the roads i use in last year and half. They are smooth to drive on and I hear no sound of bushed on them. Only issue is the speed breakers, which I cross with extreme caution.

Have seen no impact on the tyres till now. (Have been diving with the worn out bushes for more than 20K kms now). Having said that, I have scheduled the replacement in August-September when the car will go for next servicing.
Old 21st June 2013, 12:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post

Would have changed them but the local authorities in Gurgaon re-laid all the roads i use in last year and half. They are smooth to drive on and I hear no sound of bushed on them. Only issue is the speed breakers, which I cross with extreme caution.

Have seen no impact on the tyres till now. (Have been diving with the worn out bushes for more than 20K kms now). Having said that, I have scheduled the replacement in August-September when the car will go for next servicing.
Great. I myself have to change the front shocks on my car. I haven't noticed any drastic tyre wear yet.

Maybe for us jumping over speedbreakers and racing through potholes wasn't the best idea in the first place.
Old 25th June 2013, 13:19   #23
BHPian

My Laura has been having a similar issue for the past few weeks.
Whenever I go over a hump, I can hear a loud thud from the rear as soon as the wheels cross the hump. The feeling is as if the travel of the suspension has been reduced drastically.

Questions:
1) Is this due to the suspension bushes having worn out?
2) How much would it cost to replace?
3) Can I get it done from any outside workshop or would I have to take it to A.S.S? (Is it a simple job?)

Thanks!
Old 25th June 2013, 14:03   #24
BHPian

Check the steering ball joints first and then check the bushes and suspension.

Few weeks back I changed both my LHS and RHS steering ball-joint and no more thud sound while going over potholes and suspension.

You can get it done from a competent mechanic also, but first confirm that indeed is the problem. Tell the mechanic to show you. If the ball joint is worn out then when you remove the tyres and try to move the tie rod (pushing front and back) after detaching it from the suspension, with the steering in fully locked position, there would be some play. It should not be if steering ball joint is good. Replace and check again.

However, I would like to add that it is not recommended to go fast over speed breakers and pot holes just because it can handle them, eventually it will wear out and suffer.

Cheers
MKP

Last edited by mkpiyengar : 25th June 2013 at 14:07. Reason: re-framed the sentence for clarity
Old 25th June 2013, 21:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
My Laura has been having a similar issue for the past few weeks.
Whenever I go over a hump, I can hear a loud thud from the rear as soon as the wheels cross the hump. The feeling is as if the travel of the suspension has been reduced drastically.

Questions:
1) Is this due to the suspension bushes having worn out?
2) How much would it cost to replace?
3) Can I get it done from any outside workshop or would I have to take it to A.S.S? (Is it a simple job?)

Thanks!
Pl also check the engine mount.
Old 16th June 2020, 08:40   #26
BHPian

Strange issue for my fiesta guys.

Got both front struts, strut bearings and strut mounts changed on my 1.10L run Fiesta. All original OEM parts. The previous struts had given up fully.

Now the strange problem is that suspension thuds/bottoms out when going over speed breakers at 20-25kmph. This did not happen before even with busted springs. What could be wrong?
Old 16th June 2020, 08:49   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Got both front struts, strut bearings and strut mounts changed on my 1.10L run Fiesta.

Now the strange problem is that suspension thuds/bottoms out when going over speed breakers at 20-25kmph. This did not happen before even with busted springs. What could be wrong?
Has the ride height changed currently after the suspension job has been done?

Were the springs too changed along with the struts?
Old 16th June 2020, 08:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Has the ride height changed currently after the suspension job has been done?

Were the springs too changed along with the struts?
Ride height appears to be same. No springs changed.
Old 16th June 2020, 09:26   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Ride height appears to be same. No springs changed.
I'd say it is time to change the springs. I feel it is causing the car to bottom-out.
Old 16th June 2020, 09:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What could be wrong?
Lower arm - That is one more thing that you need to look into. And to be more specific, the bushes in that. Have it checked once.

Most Viewed