Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2007, 15:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

This thread might be of interest to you:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/access...indshield.html

Windshield Experts Website
Windshield Repair, Auto Glass and Auto Safety Glass Replacement Services Center India#

Last edited by PatienceWins : 22nd November 2007 at 15:31. Reason: Windshield Experts Website
Old 22nd November 2007, 15:33   #17
BHPian

PatienceWins :

thanks for the info

called Windshield experts = They say if at all if you have a small whole or a dot can be done but not for a crack So i have to replace the whole front windshield.
Old 22nd November 2007, 15:42   #18
Team-BHP Support

OFF-TOPIC : Raj, i thought you had sold your car!
Old 22nd November 2007, 15:46   #19
BHPian

OFF-TOPIC - will rectify the windshield problem and then sell or else because people will ask for less price.
Old 22nd November 2007, 15:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

->ancer:
The crack with its focus at one point and spreading outward seem to have been created by some external thing hit on it. The external thing could be some soft material like rubber or wood, so it did not leave any dent or scratch on the glass on outside.
Leaving the car tight ajar could crack the windshield??
Yes, heard of many people saying that.
I have left my Camry with all tight ajar..under direct Sun with 55 Deg. C ambient temperature and metal temps anywhere near 70 Deg and no crack on wind shield... Of course, the audio casettes left on the rear speaker area got distorted, but nothing happened to the wind sheilds..
Its a myth. It doesnt affect wind shields..

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 22nd November 2007 at 15:47.
Old 22nd November 2007, 16:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Leaving the car tight ajar could crack the windshield??
My Wagon R Front left door glass burst when parked in the sun. The car was serviced a day before and the water inside on the capets could have evaporated inside to form the pressure - said by WS Experts.
Old 22nd November 2007, 16:12   #22
Team-BHP Support

For glass to burst the car must be airtight!
If your AC vent is open in a parked car, pressure will equalize and the car glass wont burst.
Old 22nd November 2007, 16:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer what if the the pressure is builtup inside the layers of the glass?

I know it sounds absurd even to me while typing, but if we can have a crakc in the middle layer then why not?
Old 22nd November 2007, 16:31   #24
Team-BHP Support

If pressure is built up inside the glass that means there was a defect in manufacturing which led to air bubble.
Old 22nd November 2007, 16:37   #25
BHPian

well i am back from W.E they said that it looks like some thing soft fell on it just like RajaTaurus said , now without insurance it will cost 12400 without the black tint that i have on my screen and with insurance they said it will cost me 1800 rs :-) the problem is that i just picked the car from a comapny that has shut down and the papers are not transfred on my name as yet. so i guess i'll have to wait till the transfer happens, or is this possible any other way? alos hyundai has given me the same quote so i may give to them not sure? but one thing is for sure if some one has done this , there is going to be a funeral for sure tomorrow!
Old 22nd November 2007, 17:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
My Wagon R Front left door glass burst when parked in the sun. The car was serviced a day before and the water inside on the capets could have evaporated inside to form the pressure - said by WS Experts.
Guys, to pressurize a car to that kind of levels it could burst a double-panel sandwich glass you might have to make it really pressure-tight for atleast 5 bar pressure. They make Scubas in that kind of category.
Cars are just made air-egress proof i.e., the doors and windshields are sealed air-tight only for atmospheric pressure. Excessive air will release through the rubber parts that seals the doors before even starting to pressurize the cabin.

So, car glass won't burst due to pressure build inside the car. It must be defective windshield. manufacturing defects like micro gaps during sandwiching expands during heating by sun and suddenly rip off the glasses.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 22nd November 2007 at 17:10.
Old 22nd November 2007, 17:18   #27
BHPian

Its very sad,but there seems no way out.You will have to bear it.You can't claim insurance after transfer.At the time of tranfer,they re-inspect and take fresh photographs of car.
Old 22nd November 2007, 17:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

get those small round transparent stickers from Windshield Experts and paste it on the crack. That will prevent the crack from getting dirty/wet and it expanding/contracting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks